Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
So now the bot farms will just re-allocate one of their servers to mine bitcoin, paying for the account fees?

• Haha
Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Uncle Shadoe

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2023

Social media platform X (formerly Twitter) will soon begin charging new users "a small fee" for posting content and liking, replying, and bookmarking tweets, according to CEO Elon Musk.

X-twitter-logo.jpg

X Daily News, a feed that posts X updates, today noticed that text strings on the website have been updated to mention a small annual fee that new users will need to pay in order to access the social network.

Musk said in response that the fee for new users is "the only way to curb the relentless onslaught of bots."

The fee has previously been tested in New Zealand and the Philippines, and Musk says that it is applicable only to those who are new to Twitter. When a new user signs up, the user will need to pay the fee, or wait for three months to be able to engage on the network. The updated language on the Twitter site:

The text does not mention being able to post for free after three months, but Musk confirmed that "write actions" would be free after that time period.

It is unclear how the policy will stop spam accounts and bots, as spammers will be able to pay the fee or simply create multiple accounts and wait to be able to post. Regular users, meanwhile, could be discouraged from using X due to the extra step and the fact that other social networks are free.

The fee appears to be around $1, as it costs $1.75 NZD in New Zealand. The pay-for-access policy has not yet been implemented outside of New Zealand and the Philippines.

Musk said that fake accounts also use up "the available namespace" limiting the "good handles." X has freed up over a million usernames so far, and will "free up tens of millions in the coming weeks."

Article Link: X May Charge New Users a 'Small Fee' to Post, Like and Reply
Oh, okay… So, this is the hill that Twitter now wants to die on. Well, ain’t that special?

Applɘ Aꙅylum

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2022
Before X, Twitter suspended me and left me out - even with Elon Musk as a new owner and renamed it X - for FIVE years only to learn last month that my screen name is permanently erased OFF by X!

Now I don't feel like re-joining Twitter - oops, I mean.... "X".

lefkonj

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2016
And that will be the end of Twitter. Musk played around and was forced to buy it when he never really wanted it. Totally distracted from what he is good at and should just go away all together.

frownface

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2020
I'd say that this would be the end of twitter.

But Elon has proved himself a modern day Timothy Dexter; so it'll probably be a big success.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
The bot problem is actually huge, since Elon took over Twitter. Now in like 80% of the cases, I'm getting insta likes by some booba women. So annoying with those online prostitutes.
The bot issue has existed for a long time on Twitter. It got WORSE with Elon.

I would not be surprised one bit if he removed whatever processes were in place to help keep bots down to increase it just so he could come out with something like this later on.

Kevin2055

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2015

Social media platform X (formerly Twitter) will soon begin charging new users "a small fee" for posting content and liking, replying, and bookmarking tweets, according to Elon Musk.

X-twitter-logo.jpg

X Daily News, a feed that posts X updates, today noticed that text strings on the website have been updated to mention a small annual fee that new users will need to pay in order to access the social network.

Musk said in response that the fee for new users is "the only way to curb the relentless onslaught of bots."

The fee has previously been tested in New Zealand and the Philippines, and Musk says that it is applicable only to those who are new to Twitter. When a new user signs up, the user will need to pay the fee, or wait for three months to be able to engage on the network. The updated language on the Twitter site:

The text does not mention being able to post for free after three months, but Musk confirmed that "write actions" would be free after that time period.

It is unclear how the policy will stop spam accounts and bots, as spammers will be able to pay the fee or simply create multiple accounts and wait to be able to post. Regular users, meanwhile, could be discouraged from using X due to the extra step and the fact that other social networks are free.

The fee appears to be around $1, as it costs $1.75 NZD in New Zealand. The pay-for-access policy has not yet been implemented outside of New Zealand and the Philippines.

Musk said that fake accounts also use up "the available namespace" limiting the "good handles." X has freed up over a million usernames so far, and will "free up tens of millions in the coming weeks."

How about disliking, free?

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

IllegitimateValor

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2023
Troll factory flooded with fake accounts after moderation is replaced with vibes. Portion of meaningless useless replies increased because bluechecks have the pipedream of monetizing with a sea of vapid “agreed“ and “interesting“ one-word add-nothing tweets, which are floated to the top because they paid a toll. Musk couldn’t have more quickly undone the utility of Twitter. Used to be the place online for witnessing second-hand the urgency of emerging events. Please convince Elon we figured out the science and let him take a rocket to Mars.

jccrtv

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2010

Social media platform X (formerly Twitter) will soon begin charging new users "a small fee" for posting content and liking, replying, and bookmarking tweets, according to Elon Musk.

X-twitter-logo.jpg

X can su#k it.

Reactions: ErikGrim

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
They have made great progress on that platform with regards to fake accounts, internal bias within the company etc. X is so much better than Twitter, it's really night and day.

But it'll never be perfect.

Still, it's 100% more effort than all the other main socials combined... ten times over.
My experience is the exact opposite of everything you just said. I honestly can't even understand how you've come to this conclusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.