Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Maybe the quality has gone down, I don’t really use Twitter myself so it looks the same to me, but is it going really failing and going bankrupt? People really left?
And left to where? (Social junkies/addicts hardly leave from the space itself)
I used Twitter.
It got really bad.
I deleted my account.
I deleted the app.

It didn’t require any feelings about the owner.

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
This is great news. I don't see many bots, but I'd happily pay $1 to never see them.

(NOTE: I am relentless in the block/mute feature, so I feel like my X experience is not like most. A lot of people complain about the algorithm and bots/inappropriate content. I see things I truly am interested in 99.99% of the time.)

MichaelAdam

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2005
He must have watched to many Onlyfans pages who has the same policy … Seriously Mr Musk you are destroying one by one your accomplishments …

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
So does this mean all the bots pushing Elon's posts will go away soon? Good, because I never followed him and yet my TL was flooded with his every thought for a while, because of all the blue-check/bot accounts that were retweeting him. I didn't follow them either, the posts were all "suggested" by Twitter/X. It's become such a dumpster fire.

Reactions: ApplesAreSweet&Sour

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Sounds like a quick and easy way to instantly de-anonymise yourself in order to make life easy for the Thought Police to smash your front door off its hinges after you commit the crime of wrong think. Biometric digital ID login next. And if anyone thinks I'm joking, Scotland just called...they want their free speech back. Not that any of these platforms should be considered private by any means, but by giving up payment information prior to sharing an opinion you may as well phone the feds and hand yourself in.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
This is not a security or anti-bot proposal. It's a revenue proposal. Lots of $1 fees = lots of $. His statement is a rationalization and nothing more.

If he wanted to run a platform where bots weren't a problem, all he needs to do is to have all accounts (new and old) be associated with an actual individual's verified gov't ID, a business or a gov't institution. No more anonymous accounts, none. Can you imagine how much that would cut down on the racism, the misogyny, the antisemitism, the hate posts, the trolling, the bots, the ads, the hookers, the illegal activities, the misinformation, all of the stuff that makes Twitter/X junk.

But Musk doesn't want to do that. He wants lots of accounts, and lots of engagement, so he's going to keep all the bad stuff along with the good, and that includes the bots. Because bots cause clicks and engagement, and he wants to show advertisers that he has clicks and engagement.

My Twitter/X account has my real name. My picture. My employer's name. And guess what, I don't troll or say stupid ***t on there. I would love it if Twitter/X was completely verified, real people/organizations that spoke publicly and freely but they couldn't hide behind internet anonymity.

And yes I realize the irony that I am posting from a MR account that isn't my real name, that's obvious. If MR asked us to lose our anonymity in the forums, I would.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I used Twitter.
It got really bad.
I deleted my account.
I deleted the app.

It didn’t require any feelings about the owner.
Good for you, this is quite an example to follow.

The SnapTikTakoGrams makes people bonkers… and so do too YouTube and MacRumors for that matter, rushing to be the first low quality one liner comment.

Hope is to one day only ever use YouTube, even with all its quirks and random deletes at times, it’s great for learning, tutorials and sharing videos. However I like them Apple things too much but got sidetracked on a random X news that MacRumors loves to push around.

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
The bot problem is actually huge, since Elon took over Twitter. Now in like 80% of the cases, I'm getting insta likes by some booba women. So annoying with those online prostitutes.
It’s actually worse than that. It’s not actual prostitues posting those things but robots pushed by scam artists to scam you. They’re like the prostitutes of prostitutes.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Internet forums are full of mockers who offer no alternative solution to the actual problem at hand. They often don’t even acknowledge or realize the actual problem at hand. Useless noise.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
The agglomeration of Twitter has kept me there. It still seems to be "the" town square.

But I've noticed a big deterioration in the functioning. I don't get notifications when I have *actual* responses and likes, and I do get notifications when I get I get likes from salacious bots, which there are many of. I didn't have that at all before.

And the whole X look reminds me of when Dwight became manager in The Office and painted his office black. It's just teenage angsty, and the bird was so nice! And fit with the whole idea of, you know, tweeting.

Oh, and of course the blue checks . . . they had a purpose. Now just meaningless.

I wouldn't mind paying a one time fee, but I certainly would use a burner credit card number.
“The” town square? In what town does the mayor make their announcements sandwiched between p*rn, nazi propaganda, abuse and scams?

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
I will admit I am extremely dubious this movie will result in anything good for X.

That said, I will also admit that I don't know everything and there are at least four times in my life where things have gone completely differently than how I thought they would.

So maybe I don't have to claim to know how it all unfolds... I may just sit back and observe how this unfolds with great curiosity

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Internet forums are full of mockers who offer no alternative solution to the actual problem at hand. They often don’t even acknowledge or realize the actual problem at hand. Useless noise.

BUT SURELY NOT THIS FORUM!?!?!

Reactions: subjonas

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
An angel falls every time MR team writes a post about X (formerly Twitter).

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Not too happy with the move but might be the only way to stop the bots. Anyway hopefully the fee will be as low as $1 and will only be applicable for the first few months.

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Elon should definitely go for a career of comedian. He can bend thru the time and space of politics, nonsense and technology. Maybe he will become president one day.

But now I totally see that his initial plan was to buy Twitter to kill it. Too bad he is too poor to do the same to Google and Meta

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
there really shouldn't be any pushback or negative comments regarding this. I think it's a good idea. it's not even a big deal about a possible $1 fee per year for new users or wait 3 months if you don't want to be able to post. I highly doubt people are going to go off twitter, because of a $1 fee a year for new users. This doesn't even affect current users.
It's not about the money of course, it's about you having to give your credit card info to yet another service just to post some silly tweet.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
In my opinion, Musk is using bots as an excuse to recover millions of $$$ he has lost from advertisers who have removed themselves from the platform. Musk tries to portray himself as some kind of free speech hero but all it is has done is allow undesirables to spread hate, lies and misinformation on the platform and this in turn has caused advertisers to leave the platform because they do not want their adverts linked to such undesirable posts, something the platform was doing but got worse due to Musk sacking the majority of employee's that oversee moderation on the platform.

Moderation costs money, lots and lots of it if the platform is big. Nearly everyone one of the big players in social media has complained of being forced to improve their moderation because governments around the world have got fed up of the amount of hate, lies, misinformation and threats that spreads through social media like a virus and that all the companies involved did not take the issues seriously thus governments stepping in telling them they will face fines or expulsion from the country if they did not get their act together. Youtube, Facebook, Titk Tok, Snapchat, Whatsapp have all tried to improve on their moderation, some better than others but still they have a long way to go. X on the other hand got rid of the majority of their moderation team to cut costs which has affected the platform badly and now Musk is asking users to pay to use the platform.

It does not matter if Musk charges $1 a year or 50 cents a year to use the platform, many many users will leave in my opinion on principle, that principle being why should they pay for Musk's screwups. He screwed up the platform, got rid of what? 70-80% of the workforce, the platform started to be a wash with undesirable posts, advertisers leave in droves and the platform begins to lose millions of $$$ and because of all of that, Musk is now saying users must pay to use his platform. Nope, people will leave out of principle, they will not pay for his screwups.

iPay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2023
Everything's free in America
For a small fee in America!

Users: now we must pay to hate!?
Business failure masterclass from Elon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.