Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
I am getting my upgrade on Monday and am honestly not sure whether to get iPhone X or 8+. I currently use 7+ and have been happy with it bar provider's terrible data connection in Central London which makes the phone almost unusable at prime time evenings. I assume not to do with the phone but lack of signal in London.
The X is the first iPhone i have not been excited about. Have been looking at it in stores and find the design really ugly and whilst the screen does look great the notch is annoying. Also next to 8+ the screen looks so narrow making videos look small. I am so disappointed with Apple making us wait for a new design and they come up with this!
I found the gesture based use mostly ok except struggled to view open apps which I managed eventually after many tries. However, could not work out how to stop an app running in the background which is so easy on the 7+.
This takes me to my second option of 8+. Hate the glass back and it felt very slippery and easy to drop. I compared the screen to my 7+ and the 8+ screen was dimmer eventhough i checked it was on maximum brightness. Why would they make the new model screen look worse than before? It was also kind of yellow.
I don't know which one to get - X with ugly design and smaller videos + keyboard or 8+ with dimmer screen???
Any opinions to help me decide.
I am tempted by note which looks so much better but that would mean losing paid apps and Apple wallet etc which i use all the time...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am getting my upgrade on Monday and am honestly not sure whether to get iPhone X or 8+. I currently use 7+ and have been happy with it bar provider's terrible data connection in Central London which makes the phone almost unusable at prime time evenings. I assume not to do with the phone but lack of signal in London.
The X is the first iPhone i have not been excited about. Have been looking at it in stores and find the design really ugly and whilst the screen does look great the notch is annoying. Also next to 8+ the screen looks so narrow making videos look small. I am so disappointed with Apple making us wait for a new design and they come up with this!
I found the gesture based use mostly ok except struggled to view open apps which I managed eventually after many tries. However, could not work out how to stop an app running in the background which is so easy on the 7+.
This takes me to my second option of 8+. Hate the glass back and it felt very slippery and easy to drop. I compared the screen to my 7+ and the 8+ screen was dimmer eventhough i checked it was on maximum brightness. Why would they make the new model screen look worse than before? It was also kind of yellow.
I don't know which one to get - X with ugly design and smaller videos + keyboard or 8+ with dimmer screen???
I am tempted by note which looks so much better but that would mean losing paid apps and Apple wallet etc which i use all the time...

Based off what I read from your post, I would not suggest the iPhone X, it doesn't seem like that would be a device that you would be happy with in the long run. I would suggest the iPhone 8 Plus. The iPhone 8+ does have a warmer display, but I still think even with the brightness turned up, it doesn't seem any less dim to me compared to the iPhone 7.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I came from Samsung. I’ve got an 8 Plus and my wife has an X. We are both thrilled. In your case, I wouldn’t get either. The X is expensive, so you will most likely have some bad buyers remorse. People who go into it really excited still experience some remorse, so yours will probably be worse and you’ll contemplate returning it. Don’t get me wrong, the X is an awesome phone. You don’t seem too keen on it. Maybe try it out for 2 weeks, assuming you guys have the 14 day return period. I wouldn’t get an 8 Plus unless you need wireless charging or the dual camera. It’s very similar to your 7+ from what I’ve seen. Many people upgrade from the 7+, but you seem to be going in feeling negative right off the jump.

I didn’t see the option to keep the 7+ for one more year. That would be my suggestion.

The note 8 is a better PHONE than anything Apple makes. That’s pretty much a fact. The way it runs is also very smooth, but likevuo Said you would be giving up a lot of Apple specific content. I miss my galaxy s8+ a good deal, but my 8+ and Apple Watch is the best combo imaginable. Samsung hardware is better and more advanced than Apple, but I am finding the total package on Apple to be better.

My advice to you is either wait a year, try the X for 2 weeks, or jump ship to the note 8. The 8 plus will most likely give you too much deja vu.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
You can't compare a screen on an in-store device with your own unless you make sure all settings on the in-store device are identical to your own. And some of those settings are buried pretty deep.

Reactions: 2ndtry

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It’s not an easy choice I dithered on it for a few months, decided on the X changed my mind, got a note 8 changed my mind. Decided to stick with the 7 plus and again change my mind. Now I’ve bought the x and it will be coming on Monday. There are some features I don’t like about it but overall at least it’s something new. The 8 plus although it has a good camera and wireless charging it’s more of the same when coming from the 7 plus. Android isn’t really an option because I have a lot of other Apple devices.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
I came from Samsung. I’ve got an 8 Plus and my wife has an X. We are both thrilled. In your case, I wouldn’t get either. The X is expensive, so you will most likely have some bad buyers remorse. People who go into it really excited still experience some remorse, so yours will probably be worse and you’ll contemplate returning it. Don’t get me wrong, the X is an awesome phone. You don’t seem too keen on it. Maybe try it out for 2 weeks, assuming you guys have the 14 day return period. I wouldn’t get an 8 Plus unless you need wireless charging or the dual camera. It’s very similar to your 7+ from what I’ve seen. Many people upgrade from the 7+, but you seem to be going in feeling negative right off the jump.

I didn’t see the option to keep the 7+ for one more year. That would be my suggestion.

The note 8 is a better PHONE than anything Apple makes. That’s pretty much a fact. The way it runs is also very smooth, but likevuo Said you would be giving up a lot of Apple specific content. I miss my galaxy s8+ a good deal, but my 8+ and Apple Watch is the best combo imaginable. Samsung hardware is better and more advanced than Apple, but I am finding the total package on Apple to be better.

My advice to you is either wait a year, try the X for 2 weeks, or jump ship to the note 8. The 8 plus will most likely give you too much deja vu.

The Note 8 is not as smooth as the iPhone X.

In terms of hardware I liked Samsung’s offering better, especially adjusted for the price difference. But the laggy Android is what killed it for me.

Even my iPhone 6S plus on iOS 10.3.3 makes the Note 8 look like a joke in terms of smoothess.

UKapple

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012

In terms of hardware I liked Samsung’s offering better, especially adjusted for the price difference. But the laggy Android is what killed it for me.

Even my iPhone 6S plus on iOS 10.3.3 makes the Note 8 look like a joke in terms of smoothess.

I’ve just come from a note 8 to the X and I can tell you is is just as smooth, if not smoother than my X.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

le.bouch

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
I agree with 2ndtry - keep your 7+ and get the successor to the X next year.

FWIW, I went from a 6S+ to an 8+.

I was very happy with that but still needed to scratch the itch for an X. This week I sold my 8+ and bought an X.

I have zero regrets - the X is the future, the 8+ too wedded to iPhone’s past. I agree somewhat with your view on the narrower screen when watching videos but it’s not a dealbreaker for me.

The most significant things for me are finally the two lens camera in a non+ sized body and the beautiful screen.

I am very much enjoying not toting around a giant iPhone after 3 years using + models.

Face ID isn’t perfect but just as effective as Touch ID. I imagine next year’s Face ID will be as big a step up as Touch ID was from the 6 to the 6S.

If I was you I’d wait. If you can’t wait and end up getting an X anyway I’m confident you’ll love it.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I don’t think the note 8 really had any flaws hardware wise or software wise. It was fast enough. My problem is that I’m too integrated into the Apple ecosystem and have no desire to leave.

The hardware is excellent but the extra things it offers I don’t need and I’m not willing to give up my ecosystem for hardware.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
With your statement, I’d keep the 7 plus and wait for the X Plus next year.

And to be honest, the iPhone 7 is discounted rather hesvily with other retailers, its an excellent buy, especially being it's relatively close in comparison to the iPhone 8.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
I’ve just come from a note 8 to the X and I can tell you is is just as smooth, if not smoother than my X.

Not the demo models that I have been playing with.

It was the only reason why I didn’t switch to Android.

If I had to buy an Android phone, I would personally wait for the Samsung Galaxy S9 and see if that phone is fast enough.

Last edited:

jtuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Thanks all. Staying with the 7+ seems like the sensible option but I have a refresh contract which allows free annual upgrade thus wanting to use it. But still none the wiser though reading about the various problems people seem to have with X I am most likely to go with the safer and cheaper option of 8+.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Thanks all. Staying with the 7+ seems like the sensible option but I have a refresh contract which allows free annual upgrade thus wanting to use it. But still none the wiser though reading about the various problems people seem to have with X I am most likely to go with the safer and cheaper option of 8+.
Honestly your better off trying to sell your phone on Craigslist for more then you owe and buying the 8+ or the x. I recommend the x I love mine.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Not the demo models that I have been playing with.

It was the only reason why I didn’t switch to Android.

If I had to buy an Android phone, I would personally wait for the Samsung Galaxy S9 and see if that phone is fast enough.
And that's the problem... The stupid demo models are full of crap!

Owning both, the iPhone X and Note 8 ...the Note 8 is actually smoother especially given the janky garbage that iOS 11 is!

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I'd recommend the 8 plus... I'm in the process of switching my X for a 8 plus too!

I wish Apple had offered an XL version of the X !

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
And that's the problem... The stupid demo models are full of crap!

Owning both, the iPhone X and Note 8 ...the Note 8 is actually smoother especially given the janky garbage that iOS 11 is!
The note 8 had no problems with fluidity. I agree.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

The beautiful design is one of the big selling points of iPhone X, if you consider it ugly, it’s not for you. Definitely go for 8+. Its screen is very, very good too and you seem to prefer the bigger size. You’re exactly the target audience for it.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I mean if you want to keep paying on a phone every year. But you seem pretty against the X even though it is a great phone.
I came from the 7+ and its just so much better imo. I would never get an 8+ from a 7+

The best thing you could do is just keep your phone for one more year. Pay it off and sell it. Use that money for next years phone. Unless you want to pay the high amount monthly still to upgrade even though you dont seem enthusiastic about it.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

Sure, the Note 8 is a fine phone but it’s not faster than iPhone X. And I’d take the janky garbage iOS 11 any day over TouchWiz.

iOS 11 is good, after the lastest few updates.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Sure, the Note 8 is a fine phone but it’s not faster than iPhone X. And I’d take the janky garbage iOS 11 any day over TouchWiz.

iOS 11 is good, after the lastest few updates.
I think the note 8 is fast enough and I don’t have a problem with Touch wiz. I just prefer iOS. I don’t have much of an issue with iOS 11. The only thing I’m not keen on is how notifications have changed and the new control Center but I think they probaly work better on the X. At Least the control centre because the screen is longer it wouldn’t seem so cramped.

Reactions: aevan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.