Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
I am getting my upgrade on Monday and am honestly not sure whether to get iPhone X or 8+. I currently use 7+ and have been happy with it bar provider's terrible data connection in Central London which makes the phone almost unusable at prime time evenings. I assume not to do with the phone but lack of signal in London.
The X is the first iPhone i have not been excited about. Have been looking at it in stores and find the design really ugly and whilst the screen does look great the notch is annoying. Also next to 8+ the screen looks so narrow making videos look small. I am so disappointed with Apple making us wait for a new design and they come up with this!
I found the gesture based use mostly ok except struggled to view open apps which I managed eventually after many tries. However, could not work out how to stop an app running in the background which is so easy on the 7+.
This takes me to my second option of 8+. Hate the glass back and it felt very slippery and easy to drop. I compared the screen to my 7+ and the 8+ screen was dimmer eventhough i checked it was on maximum brightness. Why would they make the new model screen look worse than before? It was also kind of yellow.
I don't know which one to get - X with ugly design and smaller videos + keyboard or 8+ with dimmer screen???
Any opinions to help me decide.
I am tempted by note which looks so much better but that would mean losing paid apps and Apple wallet etc which i use all the time...
Like vast majority before me noted, keep iPhone 7 Plus and ignore 8 Plus since 8+ is 7+ with minor tweaks such as wireless charging, better processor, better this and that etc. You pay the money for these minor tweaks when you buy 8+ I understand vast majority of us want the latest and greatest technology toys but 8+ is not worth the money especially from someone with 7+. Wait until next year. The iPhone line up design will be similar to iPhone X. It will be only 9 more month until the next iPhone launch event assuming next year iPhone latest launch will be in September.

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I had a similar experience as you and I was conflicted coming from a 7 Plus. I decided on going with the 8 Plus and I’m happy that I did it.

The wireless charging is a feature that I use nightly.

The camera is actually slightly better than the 7 Plus.

The battery life is actually insane...I end the day with 50%-60% and I’m an account manager so I’m on my phone and using it pretty heavily during the day.

I just couldn’t justify the iPhone X. I feel like the phone is still in beta mode and the notch alone is enough for me to not even look at it. I feel like a couple things need to be enhanced with FaceID in order for me to move away from TouchID.

I also am not interested in the learning curve with the device.

Next year I may consider getting the iPhone X Plus if that is an option but I want to wait and see how this phone holds up. But in the meantime I’m pretty happy with my 8 Plus and feel like it’s the right choice for me. Just my 2 cents.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Get the X or just keep the 7 plus there’s not much difference between the 7 plus vs the 8 plus...
Very excellent point. The point is indeed true. The only difference between the 7+ and 8+ is only minor tweaks: wireless charger, glass back, better processor, etc, which are not a big deal. Buying the 8 plus if upgrading from 7 Plus is buying the minor tweaks.

Reactions: Brandonjr36

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I just couldn’t justify the iPhone X. I feel like the phone is still in beta mode

I totally respect when people choose the 8, or even 7, 6S or SE, over the X. 8 certainly has a lot going for it - amazing features for a better price, proven design, bigger screen (the Plus version). People shouldn't feel bad if they buy the 8 instead of the X. In fact, the 8, especially the 8+, may be a better choice for some people.

With that said, trying to justify your purchase with nonsense like this is what bugs me. No, the X is not in beta mode. It's one of the best products Apple has made. You keep telling yourself it's a beta product or whatever, but that's just silly. Just as the 8 is better for some, for others, the X is a better choice. It is an amazing iPhone, and for a lot (maybe most) of people - the best iPhone ever made.

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
If you are not locked into Apple's ecosystem it might be a good year to try out some Android phones and their ecosystem?

You can always come back next year and your paid apps will still be there.

Reactions: 2ndtry

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Of course, just like iOS 11.. But try telling that to the minions and their panties roll up in a bunch!

Minions? As oposed to what? The wise critics such as yourself? Seriously, “minions”....

Macinsults Forum in full swing, I guess.

How would you like it if I called you guys “coping mechanisms”? :)

Last edited:

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I had a similar experience as you and I was conflicted coming from a 7 Plus. I decided on going with the 8 Plus and I’m happy that I did it.

The wireless charging is a feature that I use nightly.

The camera is actually slightly better than the 7 Plus.

The battery life is actually insane...I end the day with 50%-60% and I’m an account manager so I’m on my phone and using it pretty heavily during the day.

I just couldn’t justify the iPhone X. I feel like the phone is still in beta mode and the notch alone is enough for me to not even look at it. I feel like a couple things need to be enhanced with FaceID in order for me to move away from TouchID.

I also am not interested in the learning curve with the device.

Next year I may consider getting the iPhone X Plus if that is an option but I want to wait and see how this phone holds up. But in the meantime I’m pretty happy with my 8 Plus and feel like it’s the right choice for me. Just my 2 cents.
You make some good points, but the “learning curve” is extremely overblown. It takes very little time to learn how to use the gestures. Muscle memory might have you reaching for the home button that doesn’t exist, but the phone is very intuitive.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
you'd be surprised how many people ive shown my phone to that are like I dont like all that new stuff I have to learn. It seems like most non techy people are turned off by new things and then they act like the device is "beta" or worse.

Its really like someone never trying something and having an opinion on it. The gestures and no home button are a game changer. Moving in and out of apps is so much faster than with a home button.

What I tell the people that dont want do "deal with new gestures" is you will have to eventually because apple will not keep around the home button for much longer than 3 more years.
Postponing the inevitable. Might as well be open to learning something you feel natural doing in less than 10 minutes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.