Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
An insight into the mind of the insane . . .

In the summer I banned myself from buying new Apple products for two years. This has not worked out well.

A month ago, despite swearing I wouldn’t buy an iPhone X, I impetuously bought an iPhone X. Initially I was thrilled.

But then some odd things happened. First, I kept seeing adverts for the Samsung S8. Wow. It looks incredible. In a way that the iPhone X just doesn’t. So I started falling out of love with it.

Then I took the Apple Silicone cover off, which had got grubby, and decided to go naked. I’d bought the Space Grey X because that’s all they had in stock. It’s not that much different from the Jet Black 7 I’d had until I bought the X. And I’m so over that look now.

Then a friend of mine put his iPhone 6S on the table. It looked so slim and elegant.

Then, last night, I had my X propped on a cushion while I was fiddling with my Apple Watch. Every time I wanted to use it, I had to enter my passcode because FaceID needs your face to be right in front of the screen, not at the side or an angle.

Then I tried taking some photos and the screen kept freezing. I thought it was a OS error until I realised my finger was brushing the bottom of the screen, half-activating the app switcher, which freezes the current app.

And I started thinking about how heavy the X is, and how thick it is. And how I don’t actually think the curved edge to the screen is all that great. And how bezels actually have their plus points. And how FaceID is great except when it’s not. And how I spent £999 on a phone.

So I started thinking about the iPhone 8. The Gold one. It looks great. It’s light. It’s slim. It has pretty much the same internals. And it’s on special offer at Argos: the regular size 64GB is £649. That’s less than two-thirds the price.

And what do I use my iPhone for? Increasingly I use my Apple Watch, or I have a lovely iPad Pro if I want to browse on a bigger screen. The iPhone is for calls, texts, messaging, Apple Watch, music, podcasts, and quick looking up of things in Safari, or my banking apps. No big screen required. No snazzy camera needed. (Why do I take all these photos anyway?)

And so the X’s deathknell sounded. It’s going back. And an iPhone 8 is on its way.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think everyone will eventually find the device for them. It just takes time. In my case I’ve tried the note 8 and kept my iPhone 7 Plus. The note didn’t work for me. I’ve ordered the plus and it comes tomorrow. I will just stick with the X as there isn’t really anywhere else for me to go. Getting the 8 plus would be a step backwards and keeping my 7 Plus would be an either further step backwards. I do like the new Portrait Lighting and would appreciate the camer a improvements at the very least.

2ndtry

Suspended
Dec 15, 2017
You are not alone my friend. There’s been a few posters here in a few posters on other Apple forums that think the same way you are. For what you use your phone for, and I as well, the iPhone X is really too much to pay for so little that you get in the way of the screen and Face ID plus emoji‘s. Not to mention all the issues that are popping up for now that will be addressed next year. So what’s the point in spending $1000+ now ? However, you’re going to get a lot of fanboy comments throughout the day. Good luck to you

Reactions: hufflematt

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I’ve taken a slight risk — I’m buying a phone sight unseen. I’m assuming the gold iPhone 8 will look great, but there’s no way to know until it arrives!

I think the mistake I made was not thinking through what I really want an iPhone for, and how my other Apple devices form a coherent set. And I’m a sucker for new, shiny things!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I’ve taken a slight risk — I’m buying a phone sight unseen. I’m assuming the gold iPhone 8 will look great, but there’s no way to know until it arrives!

I think the mistake I made was not thinking through what I really want an iPhone for, and how my other Apple devices form a coherent set. And I’m a sucker for new, shiny things!
I don’t think there will be any nasty surprises with the 8 or the 8 plus because they are very polished versions of an already refined phone.

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Both have there up sids and down sides (and not being able to open my X while eating and it laying flat on the bar is a pet peeve of mine too). Keep in mind a few down sides on the 8.

• Smaller screen display. This will be a big one (or is it smaller:D) since no one likes to change to a smaller screen
  • Reduced battery life
  • Loss of status since it looks like an iPhone 6
  • Lose optical zoom
  • Since you bought the X you will take depreciation hit making the 8 cost as much or more
  • While it is thinner the 8 is only <0.5mm thinner (5%)
  • Weight is a bigger differentiator 174g vs 148g (15%)

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Might want to try to set up Face ID again because mine reads my face at many different angles and distances just fine.

Reactions: newellj

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Both have there up sids and down sides (and not being able to open my X while eating and it laying flat on the bar is a pet peeve of mine too). Keep in mind a few down sides on the 8.

• Smaller screen display. This will be a big one (or is it smaller:D) since no one likes to change to a smaller screen
  • Reduced battery life
  • Loss of status since it looks like an iPhone 6
  • Lose optical zoom
  • Since you bought the X you will take depreciation hit making the 8 cost as much or more
  • While it is thinner the 8 is only <0.5mm thinner (5%)
  • Weight is a bigger differentiator 174g vs 148g (15%)

Small screen — might be an issue, but then smaller weight and size. Swings and roundabouts. Plus I’m trying to use my phone less.

Battery life — people seem to obsess about battery life. I’ve stopped worrying about it. I was actually glad the X didn’t have the battery percentage. I never run out of battery on any of my devices.

Loss of status — meh. I think people thought I was nuts for spending £999 on a phone, tbh.

Optical zoom — yeah, little bit sad about that. But, like I said, why am I taking all these photos that I never look at?
[doublepost=1513518113][/doublepost]
Might want to try to set up Face ID again because mine reads my face at many different angles and distances just fine.

Too late, lol. New phone is being delivered in the next couple of hours.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
I’m a sucker for new shiny things too as much as the next MacRumors member. I had an X and returned it, primarily because of screen size and how uncomfortable it was for me to use on a daily basis. The keyboard is totally cramped compared to (+) editions and the lack of additional landscape display elements like tabs and panes really harshed my mellow. Gestures like the app switcher are, to me, arcane and clumsy, and reaching the bottom of the screen RSI inducing. Look, they had to bump the keyboard up. ‘Nuf said.

Have said it elsewhere, but I’m currently using a 6+, a 6s+, and a 7+. Of the three my favorite is the 6+. The added thickness of the 6s+ and beyond actually makes a difference in how the phone feels in hand. I never use cases.

Sure it’s a little slower than the others but still works fine. I can barely remember what the difference is between those three models. And even in side-by-side daily use the difference is negligible.

Kind of amazed at how easily I can be swayed by promise of faster or better camera, but at the end of the day and at this inflection point in technology, it doesn’t make that much difference.

I’m sure you’ll be psyched with your 8. And more psyched about the cash in your pocket.
[doublepost=1513519429][/doublepost]
Another coping thread.
True. But I find it interesting how Apple’s flagship phone really has a significant segment of their die hard contingent feeling largely lukewarm about it.

It certainly isn’t about cost for me, as phones are tools and I amortize that cost with ease. I’ve used practically every generation since the iPhone debuted, happy to escape BB and Danger.

I will never buy an iPhone X form factor unless they substantively change how the UI gestures work and once again offer a large screen option.

Last edited:

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016

In the summer I banned myself from buying new Apple products for two years. This has not worked out well.

A month ago, despite swearing I wouldn’t buy an iPhone X, I impetuously bought an iPhone X. Initially I was thrilled.

But then some odd things happened. First, I kept seeing adverts for the Samsung S8. Wow. It looks incredible. In a way that the iPhone X just doesn’t. So I started falling out of love with it.

Then I took the Apple Silicone cover off, which had got grubby, and decided to go naked. I’d bought the Space Grey X because that’s all they had in stock. It’s not that much different from the Jet Black 7 I’d had until I bought the X. And I’m so over that look now.

Then a friend of mine put his iPhone 6S on the table. It looked so slim and elegant.

Then, last night, I had my X propped on a cushion while I was fiddling with my Apple Watch. Every time I wanted to use it, I had to enter my passcode because FaceID needs your face to be right in front of the screen, not at the side or an angle.

Then I tried taking some photos and the screen kept freezing. I thought it was a OS error until I realised my finger was brushing the bottom of the screen, half-activating the app switcher, which freezes the current app.

And I started thinking about how heavy the X is, and how thick it is. And how I don’t actually think the curved edge to the screen is all that great. And how bezels actually have their plus points. And how FaceID is great except when it’s not. And how I spent £999 on a phone.

So I started thinking about the iPhone 8. The Gold one. It looks great. It’s light. It’s slim. It has pretty much the same internals. And it’s on special offer at Argos: the regular size 64GB is £649. That’s less than two-thirds the price.

And what do I use my iPhone for? Increasingly I use my Apple Watch, or I have a lovely iPad Pro if I want to browse on a bigger screen. The iPhone is for calls, texts, messaging, Apple Watch, music, podcasts, and quick looking up of things in Safari, or my banking apps. No big screen required. No snazzy camera needed. (Why do I take all these photos anyway?)

And so the X’s deathknell sounded. It’s going back. And an iPhone 8 is on its way.
The iPhone 8 will not be different from 7 except for minor tweaks: wireless charging, better processor and others. You will feel 8 not different from your 7 jet black one except for minor tweaks I mentioned. It looks like you will pay the money for the minor tweaks and the gold color. Soon, you might feel bored again :) I hope you will find the right one and your search journey wil end soon similar to your Apple Watch journey :) with a happily ever after ending.

jgiannakas

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
Yeah if I were you I’d have kept the 7. The 8 really does not offer anything more to the 7, even less so than the X.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin

The problem is your gonna lose more money just to go back to an older model. And the 8 is gonna be the last of the iPhones with the home button. With the maybe exception of the iPhone se. you don’t have to use Face ID on the x you can have just slide to unlock that’s what I usually have on mine. And I’m sure a lot of the bugs will get worked out soon with software updates. I mean it’s a completely redesigned phone and new software there’s gonna be some issues. But they will get worked out.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
The iPhone 8 will not be different from 7 except for minor tweaks: wireless charging, better processor and others. You will feel 8 not different from your 7 jet black one except for minor tweaks I mentioned. It looks like you will pay the money for the minor tweaks and the gold color. Soon, you might feel bored again :) I hope you will find the right one and your search journey wil end soon similar to your Apple Watch journey :) with a happily ever after ending.

Haha. My Apple Watch journey is nearly over! I’m keeping the Hermès. Just not 100% which strap I’m going to keep, lol.

Fashion is a funny thing. When I got the jet black iPhone 7 I thought it was incredibly good looking. Thanks to the miracle of marketing, it suddenly bored me so much it was easy to persuade myself to try the X.

It’s not a huge deal financially. I sold my iPhone 7 for reasonable money. I’ll get a refund on the X. The iPhone 8 costs more than I got for my iPhone 7, but — as @riverfreak said — if you amortise the cost over the lifetime of your usage of the phone, it’s a pretty trivial expense. I’m out maybe three hundred quid — but for that I get another year of a new phone with some new bells and whistles and a fresh look. For a pound a day.

It’s more about value for money for me. I don’t mind spending a lot if I feel I’m getting a lot back. Ultimately the iPhone X just felt like a fatter, heavier jet black iPhone 7, with a sometimes cool/sometimes annoying logging-on feature. And it still had bezels. They were just smaller and formed a weirdly rounded screen.

Reactions: riverfreak

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

Man walks into a BMW forum.

Announces "The new 5 Series is too big and expensive for me, I saw an Audi that distracted me, so I'm going back to a 3 Series."

BMW forum says "We're glad you came to that conclusion but was it really necessary to tell us?"

Reactions: BigDO and BarredOwl

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The problem is your gonna lose more money just to go back to an older model. And the 8 is gonna be the last of the iPhones with the home button. With the maybe exception of the iPhone se. you don’t have to use Face ID on the x you can have just slide to unlock that’s what I usually have on mine. And I’m sure a lot of the bugs will get worked out soon with software updates. I mean it’s a completely redesigned phone and new software there’s gonna be some issues. But they will get worked out.

My assumption is the OP is perfectly fine that they may take a loss switching iPhones, but they would rather be content with having a device they find more convenient to their needs. Sometimes that happens when you purchase something expensive, you realize you want something else, The latest and greatest iPhone isn't always for everyone, which is why you have to have a trial period in order to figure that out.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Man walks into a BMW forum.

Announces "The new 5 Series is too big and expensive for me, I saw an Audi that distracted me, so I'm going back to a 3 Series."

BMW forum says "We're glad you came to that conclusion but was it really necessary to tell us?"

He forgot to tell the BMW dealer he wasn’t going to pay extra for CarPlay.

Last edited:
Reactions: boltjames

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Hey profmatt - interesting. Definitely empathize with "the mind of the insane." Are you still in the return period? You have an 8, not an 8 Plus, coming?

Last night I switched my active phone and Watch back to my (laugh) Jet Black iPhone 7. Yes, it does seem slim and petite next to the X.

I think the X is a brilliant piece of hardware design and engineering. Side by side, the OLED with True Tone honestly just kills the iPhone 7 LCD, but it's not really noticeable unless they are side by side - I don't look at the 7 and think "ummm, crappy display!" because it's not.

I may or may not return my X. When the gestures work, they are amazing - the phone almost disappears. Other times, though (and for things I do a lot), they are very much in the way, making things more complicated than with the iPhone 7.

So I'm on the fence, but I don't have to make a decision until January 8th. (You must have been in the same holiday return period?) Best luck!

Reactions: hufflematt

MacQork

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2017

I persuaded my GF to go for the golden one and it is AMAZING. It almost makes me jealous to go back for an 8 and return my X (coming from a 5s). If they had that color for the X I would've definitely gone for it. The color is a lot like copper but than mixed with a bit of pink... and the back-glass color is wow. Enjoy your phone :D

Reactions: janeauburn

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

The 8 in gold looks really good . The glass gives it a better look in my opinion

Reactions: janeauburn

Mel8899

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017

I also had to have the X. After a week I hated the Face ID, such a pain!! Took it back and went back to my 8 and lovin it!!

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Well the (regular-sized) iPhone 8 has arrived and I’ve spent about two hours getting everything set up. Mostly a pretty straightforward (if time-consuming) process. (Had to set up all my apps and so on.)

I love the size and weight. I think that’s important to me.

The colour? Meh — not wild about it. In some lights it looks pink, which I’m not thrilled about. But I don’t hate it. It’s fine.

But the main point is that it’s small and light and does all the things I need it to do. And at under two-thirds the cost of the iPhone X.

I don’t miss FaceID. TouchID works fine. I’m not missing the gestures or the bigger screen size. I don’t care that, not only do I have bezels, I have white bezels! My plan is that the phone is going to spend most of its time in a pocket or on a table.

Occasionally it’s going to be in my hand and it’s so much more comfortable than my old iPhone 7+ or the X. It fits nicely, I can reach everything, and I seem to make fewer mistakes on the smaller keyboard.

So I’m happy. And my wallet’s happy.

(Still happy with the Hermès, lol.)

Next up: I accidentally ordered a gold MacBook. Whoops.

Reactions: GreenPea

Mel8899

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
Well the (regular-sized) iPhone 8 has arrived and I’ve spent about two hours getting everything set up. Mostly a pretty straightforward (if time-consuming) process. (Had to set up all my apps and so on.)

I love the size and weight. I think that’s important to me.

The colour? Meh — not wild about it. In some lights it looks pink, which I’m not thrilled about. But I don’t hate it. It’s fine.

But the main point is that it’s small and light and does all the things I need it to do. And at under two-thirds the cost of the iPhone X.

I don’t miss FaceID. TouchID works fine. I’m not missing the gestures or the bigger screen size. I don’t care that, not only do I have bezels, I have white bezels! My plan is that the phone is going to spend most of its time in a pocket or on a table.

Occasionally it’s going to be in my hand and it’s so much more comfortable than my old iPhone 7+ or the X. It fits nicely, I can reach everything, and I seem to make fewer mistakes on the smaller keyboard.

So I’m happy. And my wallet’s happy.

(Still happy with the Hermès, lol.)

Next up: I accidentally ordered a gold MacBook. Whoops.

Lol!! On the MacBook

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Lol!! On the MacBook

Someone mentioned it on these forums yesterday. I started lusting after it. I don’t have a laptop, having sold my MacBook Pro earlier in the year. Since then I’ve been surviving on my iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard. It works tremendously well. Except Microsoft Excel is kinda annoying to do on an iPad.

And the MacBook is so pretty. Especially the gold one.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreenPea
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.