Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Someone mentioned it on these forums yesterday. I started lusting after it. I don’t have a laptop, having sold my MacBook Pro earlier in the year. Since then I’ve been surviving on my iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard. It works tremendously well. Except Microsoft Excel is kinda annoying to do on an iPad.

And the MacBook is so pretty. Especially the gold one.
All of us love pretty thing:) so it is okay. Let us begin your MacBook journey story . I love to hear it. Thank you for sharing. :)

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
I’ve taken a slight risk — I’m buying a phone sight unseen. I’m assuming the gold iPhone 8 will look great, but there’s no way to know until it arrives!

I think the mistake I made was not thinking through what I really want an iPhone for, and how my other Apple devices form a coherent set. And I’m a sucker for new, shiny things!

I suspect that the phone that most of us were using 4 years ago would work just fine today and do 100% of what we need to do on a phone--yeah, perhaps a bit slower, but there are actually advantages to waiting for stuff to happen.

Acquisition of stuff is often an attempt to fill some void in our lives. The trouble is that the stuff never fills it. It just empties our wallets, causing stress, clutter, less freedom, and less happiness as a result.

I don't have any smartaleck answers except that recognition of the real issue must be the first step toward finding a way off of the merrygoround.
[doublepost=1513536082][/doublepost]
But the main point is that it’s small and light and does all the things I need it to do. And at under two-thirds the cost of the iPhone X.

I think the 8 in gold is the most exciting color I've seen in years from Apple. So while you may not be thrilled, know that others are.

My only issue with the 8 is that the screen is too small for the inevitable web surf, and it takes longer to thumb thru text in apps like News. The 8 Plus is too big, but I need that screen size.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I suspect that the phone that most of us were using 4 years ago would work just fine today and do 100% of what we need to do on a phone--yeah, perhaps a bit slower, but there are actually advantages to waiting for stuff to happen.

Acquisition of stuff is often an attempt to fill some void in our lives. The trouble is that the stuff never fills it. It just empties our wallets, causing stress, clutter, less freedom, and less happiness as a result.

I don't have any smartaleck answers except that recognition of the real issue must be the first step toward finding a way off of the merrygoround.

I have a theory that we’re all ****ed up in one way or another, and we deal with it in varying ways, most of which are addictive in character.

For sure buying stuff fills a void. And it’s not entirely effective. But my particular void is one that isn’t going away any time soon. Or ever. So, you know: “Yay! The delivery guy’s coming!”

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
I have a theory that we’re all ****ed up in one way or another, and we deal with it in varying ways, most of which are addictive in character.

For sure buying stuff fills a void. And it’s not entirely effective. But my particular void is one that isn’t going away any time soon. Or ever. So, you know: “Yay! The delivery guy’s coming!”

My theory is that what most of us are lacking are meaningful experiences and relationships, a passion for what we do and a feeling that we're living our lives to good purpose--not exactly what stuff helps you to get, and not exactly what an internet forum is good at, either, really. But a concomitant theory is that most of us are biding our time in horribly dull jobs in the agonizing middle phase of life, which drags on and on. Clearly a growing number of people are recognizing this and seeking early exits through extreme minimalism and a gigging lifestyle. To pull this off, though, requires a combination of saying no to the things that weigh many people down (kids, mortgage, wife/husband even, and certainly most of the stuff that clutters our lives) and a good dose of pure decent luck. Not an easy thing to do.

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
I have the Samsung galaxy s8 and love it. However, I do sometimes wish it had the same footprint as the iPhone 6,7,8. I love how nice they feel in hand. If I had the money, I might had bought a Iphone 8.

The 7 is a no go, as the camera sucks compared to the 8.

So I do understand you, and I do hope Apple will bring a mini version out, with the exact size as the 8 but with all screen, or trim down the top and bottom bezels half of what they are now, and still have a (smaller) home button.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Almost everyone is notoriously bad at estimating what will make us happy and for how long.

It's a constant quest, for sure. My intuition says start with "less is more."
[doublepost=1513540494][/doublepost]
The 7 is a no go, as the camera sucks compared to the 8.

It does? They seem identical to me. What's better about the 8's camera?

Reactions: catean

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
My theory is that what most of us are lacking are meaningful experiences and relationships, a passion for what we do and a feeling that we're living our lives to good purpose--not exactly what stuff helps you to get, and not exactly what an internet forum is good at, either, really. But a concomitant theory is that most of us are biding our time in horribly dull jobs in the agonizing middle phase of life, which drags on and on. Clearly a growing number of people are recognizing this and seeking early exits through extreme minimalism and a gigging lifestyle. To pull this off, though, requires a combination of saying no to the things that weigh many people down (kids, mortgage, wife/husband even, and certainly most of the stuff that clutters our lives) and a good dose of pure decent luck. Not an easy thing to do.

I like what you're saying. I think you can boil a lot of it down to a single question:

Does this [car][phone][house][job][thing][or even this person] keep me warm at night?

Thinking along those lines helps me keep my priorities clearer. Not necessarily clear, but clearer. :)
[doublepost=1513540783][/doublepost]
Someone mentioned it on these forums yesterday. I started lusting after it. I don’t have a laptop, having sold my MacBook Pro earlier in the year. Since then I’ve been surviving on my iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard. It works tremendously well. Except Microsoft Excel is kinda annoying to do on an iPad.

And the MacBook is so pretty. Especially the gold one.

I had a gold MBr when they first came out. It was attractive, but pretty quickly it turned out to be a LOT of gold to look at! I returned it for a different reason, though: for me, the keyboard was almost literally torture. YMMV!

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
It's a constant quest, for sure. My intuition says start with "less is more."
[doublepost=1513540494][/doublepost]

It does? They seem identical to me. What's better about the 8's camera?

I'm not impressed with 7 or 7 plus camera. It isn't bad, but nowere near my s8 s camera. From what I have seen on YouTube, the 8 has a camera comparable or better then my s8.

Reactions: 2ndtry

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
I think you can boil a lot of it down to a single question:

Does this [car][phone][house][job][thing][or even this person] keep me warm at night?

You can boil it down to that question--and it's a good question. But if the answer is "no," can you use your better judgment to resist that car/phone/house anyway? I think if the answer is "no" and you can't resist, the issue may not be simply a matter of lack of willpower but that emptiness, again, that needs to be filled with something. We keep going back to the same solutions, again and again, even when we know they don't work. To get back to the OP's original question, isn't that a definition of madness?
[doublepost=1513549276][/doublepost]
From what I have seen on YouTube, the 8 has a camera comparable or better then my s8.

I've used 'em both, and I see no difference.

Reactions: newellj and 2ndtry

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
You can boil it down to that question--and it's a good question. But if the answer is "no," can you use your better judgment to resist that car/phone/house anyway? I think if the answer is "no" and you can't resist, the issue may not be simply a matter of lack of willpower but that emptiness, again, that needs to be filled with something. We keep going back to the same solutions, again and again, even when we know they don't work. To get back to the OP's original question, isn't that a definition of madness?
[doublepost=1513549276][/doublepost]

I've used 'em both, and I see no difference.

Hmm. Have to try it myself then.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm not impressed with 7 or 7 plus camera. It isn't bad, but nowere near my s8 s camera. From what I have seen on YouTube, the 8 has a camera comparable or better then my s8.

There is a fairly good video comparison showing the camera between the iPhone 8 and Note 8 with Casey Neistat, and the Note 8 actually has much more brighter images, compared to where the iPhone 8 is much more neutral-based or toned downed.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Well, I love the phone. But I can’t get past the colour. The sides look pink in most lighting and the back is a sickly caramel colour. As I’ve had a dissatisfaction with the build quality, I’m exchanging it for a silver one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.