Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I noticed the same and found it weird. They always had the print on their models. Even though this is pure speculation I hope it becomes reality.

For now I just ordered the M1 Air to compare against the 11“ and M2 Air.
OP I think you will enjoy the M1 Air a lot more and get used to some of its minor quirks. I remember when I first got the M1 MBA after upgrading from a similar model to yours and was blown away by the Retina display and nimble CPU.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
You should get used to it with time. I much prefer it now
I think being used to iOS/iPadOS Settings helps a lot. There are still certain things that are harder to find but I’ve got used to it pretty quickly and going back to system preferences now would just be weird.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
It’s really late in this thread to say this but I will say that the auto boot thing is almost certainly because having it off is pointless. Do you power off your phone between uses? The sleep on the M series MacBooks draws no noticeable power while on with the lid shut and it allows them to have their wonderful instant on. Why even shut it down? Mine only ever turns off to update.
I literally never shut down unless my Mac will be put into storage for more than 30 days

• Wow
Reactions: zach-coleman

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my experience with the 2022 M2 Macbook Air coming from the 2013 MacBook Air 11,6“. I wanted to try one of these and compare it against the 11 incher.

Compliments to the OP, HackMacDaddy!

Well written, frank, insightful post that captured some of my own concerns and generated lots of helpful responses (as well as some of the usual ad hominem disparagements!).

I'm looking forward to a follow-up comparing the M1 MBA and the M2. HMD, hope you'll oblige us!

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my experience with the 2022 M2 Macbook Air coming from the 2013 MacBook Air 11,6“. I wanted to try one of these and compare it against the 11 incher. This is going to be very subjective and I‘m very picky but anyone upgrading from one of these might be interested.

Observations:
The difference in weight and especially size (duuh) is very noticable.
View attachment 2293752 View attachment 2293753 View attachment 2293755 View attachment 2293756

2. My palms prefer the wedge design.
View attachment 2293757 View attachment 2293758

3. Speakers on the new one have way more bass but totally lack the mids.

4. The keys on the new keyboard have a little less travel. Small difference but I prefer the old keyboard.

5. I hate that it auto boots when I open it (wtf?) and I can‘t turn it off.

6. I don‘t like the new layout of System preferences in Sonoma.

7. Display, webcam, battery life and raw computepower are way better on the new one. I‘m using mine for office and media consumption tasks, but also record vocals in Logic. I don‘t need 8K video editing power.

8. Notch bothers me more than it did on the iPhone. Why isn’t it aligned with the taskbar? Just shy of a couple of pixels. And the mousepointer and icons going behind the notch irritates me. You could literally "lose" a file on your desktop behind the notch. Why Apple?
View attachment 2293759 View attachment 2293773

9. I would have preferred keys for adjusting the keyboardbrightness instead of Spotlight and Focus.

10. The rubber feet on the new one are more slippery compared to the old ones. So one handed opening has it sliding away. This might change with time and depends on the tables surface.

11. The biggest gripe by far I have with it is the touchpad! It doesn‘t have any travel which irritates me so much it has me cringing when clicking. Feels like it‘s stuck or like it was "heavy" or something heavy pulling on it so you can't click it. Is this normal?? This alone makes me want to return it.

Additional points:
One USB-A port would have been a life saver when you‘re in other environments. USB-A is still everywhere.

I recently upgraded the SSD in the old one. Not having that option in the new ones is bad when you give it some thought. This has been discussed to death on this forum, but it‘s just the truth.

Oh and Apple needs to bring back the illuminated Logo 😉
View attachment 2293762

A couple of years back I tested the 12“ Macbook. Keyboard was really bad, one port only was really bad, weight and display were great!

Conclusion: 13,6“ is not for me. I‘ll be waiting for a new smaller Macbook and keep enjoying my fully functioning 11,6“.
Tell me this...why did you buy knowing all you are complaining about has been discussed many times over.

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
Compliments to the OP, HackMacDaddy!

Well written, frank, insightful post that captured some of my own concerns and generated lots of helpful responses (as well as some of the usual ad hominem disparagements!).

I'm looking forward to a follow-up comparing the M1 MBA and the M2. HMD, hope you'll oblige us!
Thank you so much! The M1 has arrived and is already sitting at home waiting to be compared, but I'm far away in Tokyo. And btw. typing this on the 11,6" now while working. Connected to a TB2 Dock with lot's of peripherals and IT JUST WORKS. :apple:
👍

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
Ok guys here is the update. I now have 3 machines side by side to compare and these are my observations:

1. The front edge doesn't cut into ma palm as much as with the "boxy" design
2. Speakers on M2 have more highs but narrower stereo image. I prefer the M1 sound
3. Webcam is significantly better on M2
4. The M2 chasis is even bigger than the M1, not much, but it is. I am looking for ultra portability and light weight
5. The trackpads are different! The M1's has a higher pitched "click" sound and feels a bit more like the 2013. The M2 has a deeper more muffled sound and feels a bit more sluggish/lagging when I click it.
6. I still prefer the no-notch design. Don't care that the top frame is thicker. Why a notch and not a punchhole if there is no face-id anyway? Total waste of space.
7. Rubber feet on the M2 are indeed more slippery than on the 2013 and M1 Air! They must be using higher amounts of plastic and less rubber.

Conclusion: M2 goes back, I might give the M1 to my wife. Since this rumor came up: https://www.macrumors.com/2023/10/26/apple-low-cost-12-inch-13-inch-macbook/ there's a new spark of hope for me to see a revamped 12" and that one I will buy if Apple doesn't come up with some stupid artificial castration to make sure it's "low cost".

View attachment 2304362 View attachment 2304363 View attachment 2304364 View attachment 2304365 View attachment 2304366

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Ok guys here is the update. I now have 3 machines side by side to compare and these are my observations:

1. The front edge doesn't cut into ma palm as much as with the "boxy" design
2. Speakers on M2 have more highs but narrower stereo image. I prefer the M1 sound
3. Webcam is significantly better on M2
4. The M2 chasis is even bigger than the M1, not much, but it is. I am looking for ultra portability and light weight
5. The trackpads are different! The M1's has a higher pitched "click" sound and feels a bit more like the 2013. The M2 has a deeper more muffled sound and feels a bit more sluggish/lagging when I click it.
6. I still prefer the no-notch design. Don't care that the top frame is thicker. Why a notch and not a punchhole if there is no face-id anyway? Total waste of space.
7. Rubber feet on the M2 are indeed more slippery than on the 2013 and M1 Air! They must be using higher amounts of plastic and less rubber.

Conclusion: M2 goes back, I might give the M1 to my wife. Since this rumor came up: https://www.macrumors.com/2023/10/26/apple-low-cost-12-inch-13-inch-macbook/ there's a new spark of hope for me to see a revamped 12" and that one I will buy if Apple doesn't come up with some stupid artificial castration to make sure it's "low cost".

View attachment 2304362 View attachment 2304363 View attachment 2304364 View attachment 2304365 View attachment 2304366
The important thing is that you are happy. Perhaps, Apple will release a smaller MacBook that really fits the bill for you.

As for item #4 on your list, the M2 is .1 in deeper and .1 lbs lighter than the M1.....seems like a portability jump ball to me, since I could never tell the difference in my backpack or carrying around the office. To each their own.

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
The important thing is that you are happy. Perhaps, Apple will release a smaller MacBook that really fits the bill for you.

As for item #4 on your list, the M2 is .1 in deeper and .1 lbs lighter than the M1.....seems like a portability jump ball to me, since I could never tell the difference in my backpack or carrying around the office. To each their own.
I'm comparing it to my 11,6" too and only the 12" form factor is in the same ballpark.

Reactions: rmadsen3

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
I actually just sold my 11" Air from 2011, I succeeded in wearing out a keyboard after 7 years. At the end I was running Linux on it. I had an MBP 15" for work, and the Air for private stuff. Was working out just fine.

I now have an M2 Air, which I quite like, but I use it 75% of time in clamshell mode, hooked up to an TS4 and an 27" monitor.

But as you, the notch really really annoys me, and the first thing I also noticed was the pixels they could have shaven off the menubar to make it the same hight as the notch.

As for the USB-A, as I normally use it with a dock I never notice. I have an Apple SD-Card and an USB-A thing which I use when I'm not at my desk. I'd suggest to get something like the CalDigit SohoDock which also allows you to charge the notebook.

As for the UI design, I gave up ranting about it, it's done by people who wants to turn the desktop into a device, there is nothing fighting it, one can only hope that one day they will face the same frustrations as we do.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Ok guys here is the update. I now have 3 machines side by side to compare and these are my observations: …

Great write-up! Much appreciate it.

You have similar sensibilities to mine about weight, wedge, notch, form factors, etc., so it's good to see your direct comparisons.

I always admired the 12” MacBook Retina — an incredibly lightweight, compelling laptop. I've never seen or held an 11” MBA, but I imagine my reaction would be the same to it.

Like you, wish Apple would put its M series chip into the 12” MB. They'd know better, but it seems there would be a good market for a fast, multi-day, 2-pound student, commuter, jet setter, traveling laptop. Their issue may be how large the profit margins would be but, with declining Mac sales, they should resurrect it.

In the meantime, a 2015 13.3” MBA has been my workhorse. It replaced a 15” MBP. I'm now tempted, however, by the 15” MacBook Air to get back to the larger screen size with a similar weight and feel to the 13” — and to get its incredible battery life, power, lack of fan, USB-C, modern amenities, etc.

Still, an elegant 2-pound 12” M-series MacBook would be hard to resist!

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
I really miss the wedge shape

I probably would have bought an M1 MBA by now, but Apple hasn't budged on any aspect of the pricing, despite being 3 years old. Even the Refurb pricing hasn't moved.

They are becoming a company that is really hard to like and/or support anymore.

Just a pure rip-off/gouging operation ... no surprise with an Ops/Finance guy as CEO.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I really miss the wedge shape

I probably would have bought an M1 MBA by now, but Apple hasn't budged on any aspect of the pricing, despite being 3 years old. Even the Refurb pricing hasn't moved.

They are becoming a company that is really hard to like and/or support anymore.

Just a pure rip-off/gouging operation ... no surprise with an Ops/Finance guy as CEO.
The Base M1 MBA is on sale at Best Buy right now for $749, which is $250 off retail.

Last edited:
Reactions: RickTaylor

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
One more thing I notice the 11,6“ has an advantage over the newer models is having a USB port on either side, not just on the left.
I hate to say it, but I agree with you. I am typing this now on an 11" 2015 MBA, and the size and feel is just perfect. I picked up an M2 MBA last week on sale for $899. Performance is mind-blowing, but I just can't get used to the bigger size, and I like the wedge design as well more than the flat design of the M2.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
nd I like the wedge design as well more than the flat design of the M2.

It really bums me out that they moved away from the wedge

That was a key distinction and very loved aspect of the Air design

The current Airs, I don't know -- just remind me of any number of Windows ultrabooks, but with oddly large "feet".
It just doesn't do it for me aesthetically at all.

• Haha
Reactions: canadianpj

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Sounds like you are set in your ways, OP. I don’t see a smaller form factor coming back. Can’t live in the past. Time to move forward.
Exactly!
I would love a smaller MacBook come back as well, but can’t say I hope/believe in it. I've had them in the past, but Apple makes the decision’s from whatever parameter's that is.
I don’t give it so much energy, I buy what is best for me at the moment I need it.
Then I get used to it, and usually start to love it after a while.
Of course the design is important, and Apple have done great designs over the years. Not saying Cook has been the best at that since he took over after Steve though.
But the main reason I buy Mac's is still for MacOS, and I don’t have not any real complains about it.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Reviving this thread to see where OP @HackMacDaddy is at.
I was one of those who religiously used the last 11-inch MBA, i7 8GB 512GB for years and years. But now I've had an M2 Air for about 6 months, I would never go back at this stage. The performance is simply too good, and that's what I need. But the display, battery life, USB-C/Thunderbolt, fanless design, build quality, fast wake from sleep are all worth the remaining trade-offs.
Yes, I often still need USB-A, I often want it to have a smaller footprint and weigh less, I miss the old System Prefs and keyboard brightness keys. Still, it's not worth going back. The wonders of the single-cable Thunderbolt dock and desktop-grade performance are too compelling.

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
Reviving this thread to see where OP @HackMacDaddy is at.
I was one of those who religiously used the last 11-inch MBA, i7 8GB 512GB for years and years. But now I've had an M2 Air for about 6 months, I would never go back at this stage. The performance is simply too good, and that's what I need. But the display, battery life, USB-C/Thunderbolt, fanless design, build quality, fast wake from sleep are all worth the remaining trade-offs.
Yes, I often still need USB-A, I often want it to have a smaller footprint and weigh less, I miss the old System Prefs and keyboard brightness keys. Still, it's not worth going back. The wonders of the single-cable Thunderbolt dock and desktop-grade performance are too compelling.

...Now try the Macbook Pro with the XDR display (120hz, 1600nits) and you'll repeat your statement ("never going back")

Reactions: Cape Dave
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.