Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Wow, now it's an AWESOME deal!!!

http://www.news.com/

Microsoft cuts Xbox DVD player to $179

By Reuters
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+cuts+Xbox+DVD+player+to+179/2100-1041_3-6198919.html

Story last modified Thu Jul 26 06:37:44 PDT 2007

Microsoft said on Thursday it would lower the price of the high-definition DVD player accessory for its Xbox 360 game console in the United States to $179 from $199, and add five free movies to anyone who buys the machine in August or September.

HD DVD is a next-generation technology developed by Toshiba and backed by Microsoft and film studios including Warner Bros. It competes with Blu-ray, a DVD system from Sony, which is built into its PlayStation 3 game console, an Xbox rival.

Attaching the players to popular game consoles is seen by both camps as a way to get the technology into millions of homes, and pique consumers' interest.

A mass market for high-definition video is still some way off, due in part to the high price of the devices. Blu-ray and HD DVD are battling for domination in a war reminiscent of the VHS-Betamax battle of the 1970s and 1980s. That war was won by VHS after about a decade.

Rival Sony cut the price of its PS3 game console earlier this month to ignite demand. Sony and Microsoft are in a three-way battle with Nintendo, which makes the popular Wii game console, for control of a $30 billion video game market.

Story Copyright © 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

Copyright ©1995-2007 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Are there any rumors of an XBox where the *internal* drive is an HD-DVD? That isn't available right now, is it?

No, not right now. I think that MS will first put cooler running chips in the system. Then, a price drop. Then over Christmas or next year maybe a 4th HD Elite system with HD DVD built in (to bring it back up to the $479).

My predictions:

Core, $249
Premium, $349
Elite, $429
HD Elite, $479 (?)

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
Are there any rumors of an XBox where the *internal* drive is an HD-DVD? That isn't available right now, is it?

Not available now, no. There have been rummors, we'll see what happens. I wouldn't imagine it happenin though, at least not soon- especially since they just released the "Elite" Xbox 360 which doesn't have one.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Microsoft isn't completely behind the HD-DVD format yet. They're keeping it optional and external for a reason.

I'm tempted, but I hear Blu-Ray is still more popular.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
Microsoft isn't completely behind the HD-DVD format yet. They're keeping it optional and external for a reason.

I'm afraid you're right. Recently most Blockbusters have gone Blue Ray only and Target has gone Blue Ray systems only (not including the 360 drive). Ho hum. We'll see, but it is looking like Blue Ray at the moment.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

Before this turns into a Format War flame, just look at the movies you want to watch and get that format.

I was watching "King Kong" at a hotel 25" TV last night in fullscreen and it's a total waste. I'm used to the HD DVD!

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Nice to see a price cut, not enough though I don't think. I mean, you can buy stand alone HD-DVD players now for under $300, some places selling them for around $225 online. And these have far more features and options than this single drive that can only be used with the 360. You can also get the 5 free discs with these drives as well.

I already have the drive so it doesn't affect me, but I was hoping it would drop to around $130 to encourage more to buy the format.

I also read that Microsoft might lower the price of the 360 by $50 in August.

I think they price they should hit if they want to stay competitive with PS3 as it acquires more games should be:

Xbox 360 Premium: $325-350
Xbox 360 Elite: $400
HD-DVD Drive: $130
Wireless Adapter: $50

That way, if you buy all the components, it will cost the same as the PS3 or less.

phanboyjohn

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
Even with the price drop, I'd stay away. Blu-ray may not win soon, but every indicator (IMHO) makes it very obvious that the format war has been decided, barring some ridiculous event that's highly improbable, like mass studio defection. Go with a Blu-ray player, or stay out of the format wars. But for goodness sakes, PLEASE PLEASE don't buy HD-DVD. You'll shoot yourself in the foot $500 later (admittedly, this could be a year or so down the road) when you have a nice outdated drive and useless HD-DVD discs.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
decent price, but just pay the extra for a standalone. you can get the A2 player for $199 online (with 5 free movies) or the A20 (1080p version) for $249 after $50 off coupon at Staples (also with 5 free movies). for a few bucks more you have a player that you don't need attached to another $300+ piece of equipment.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Even with the price drop, I'd stay away. Blu-ray may not win soon, but every indicator (IMHO) makes it very obvious that the format war has been decided, barring some ridiculous event that's highly improbable, like mass studio defection. Go with a Blu-ray player, or stay out of the format wars. But for goodness sakes, PLEASE PLEASE don't buy HD-DVD. You'll shoot yourself in the foot $500 later (admittedly, this could be a year or so down the road) when you have a nice outdated drive and useless HD-DVD discs.

How are they useless? if you have the drive and the discs, they aren't going to all the sudden stop playing. $180 for a drive is not as big an investment as $500 for a player. If HD-DVD does end up dying, I am ok with it, lots of the movies I want are already out in HD-DVD. And I figure that the price of the combo players (Blu-Ray/ HD-DVD) will also come down in price and then I can play all my discs.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I wonder if we'll get the same treatment? A friend picked up the HD-DVD player a few weeks ago for £99 (IIRC) at Gamestation. £99 and 5 films would be interesting if the choice was decent.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
HD DVD is dead, hell at the local best buy they were stuffed in the corner with clearance prices while the blu ray players were full focus.

Circuit City is about the same way, most retailers in fact.

M$ isn't stupid enough to integrate HD DVD in to their systems, or at least i hope they aren't. Then again they didn't think twice about using shoddy hardware on their devices so...

Ed

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I remember people saying the same thing about DVD-R/RW discs and drives...

I never remember stores shunning it like they are HD DVD though. Nor do i remember seeing DVD players in the Clearance section so soon in its lifespan. DVD had backing, HD DVD doesnt, thats basically the bottom line.

Ed

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
The price drop is nice, but I'd rather put the money towards a Ps3, honestly.

I have no desire to go buy a hi def DVD player right now, but if I had money burning a hole in my pocket and had to buy one or the other, I'd get a BluRay player (Ps3 specifically since they are the cheapest BD players around). BluRay has much better studio support...the only movies I've seen as HD-DVD exclusive that I would miss on BluRay would be the Matrix trilogy, and I'm sure at some point down the road that Warner will go BluRay as well.

I don't know what the penetration numbers or studio %s are, but I know BluRay is dominating so far...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The only store here "shunning" HD-DVD is Sony's UK puppy; HMV. Whereas my local Sainbury's and a few other shops only stock HD-DVD...

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Warner Brothers does support Blu-Ray....Universal is the only HD-DVD exclusive studio.

Matrix Trilogy is planned for BD release, but still has no date.
That may have been a "timed exclusive" deal WB signed, but they definitely support both formats.

WB BD Movie list

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Warner Brothers does support Blu-Ray....Universal is the only HD-DVD exclusive studio.

Matrix Trilogy is planned for BD release, but still has no date.
That may have been a "timed exclusive" deal WB signed, but they definitely support both formats.

Sweet...thanks for the info. That gives me hope for when I do eventually own a Ps3 sometime (probably next year). ;)

phanboyjohn

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
How are they useless? if you have the drive and the discs, they aren't going to all the sudden stop playing. $180 for a drive is not as big an investment as $500 for a player. If HD-DVD does end up dying, I am ok with it, lots of the movies I want are already out in HD-DVD. And I figure that the price of the combo players (Blu-Ray/ HD-DVD) will also come down in price and then I can play all my discs.

This is a great point, wwooden, so let me clarify here--by "useless," I meant to me personally. I'd get really frustrated with maintaining a system that the rest of the world isn't supporting (I guess something like being a Linux user up until recently, or being a laserdisc owner or something), but the discs are by no means useless. Me personally, I wouldn't want to deal with that, as I'm buying something that's not really even a little bit futureproof. For convenience and mental organization, I just like having everything in one format (one plug into the TV, less clutter, etc.), and this way avoid rebuying discs if my current player goes kaput, or similar situations. It's a little thing, but I still wouldn't want to deal with it. Like with many things though, this is just IMHO, and if you don't mind having HD-DVDs around, then definitely no problem.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
1 format will win the 'battle'

Neither format will win the 'war'

Philips DCC & MiniDisc
DVD-Audio - SACD
VCD - LaserDisc

Higher Quality does not always = successor or adoption
There just is not enough 'mainstream' interest in either format from the populace as there was for DVD. It's going to be years before the price breaks the sub $100 barrier and by that time.....

In 3-4 years time we will see a new format, one that sneaks in from the underground. Will be easier to distribute, cheaper to obtain and then the WAR will finally be won, and HD-DVD and BluRay will dissapear from our collective consciousness as quickly as they did or didnt enter.

MP3 did it...... Whatever comes next in video world will do the same.

People don't necessarily mind lower quality as long as its easier/cheaper.
Besides with these new codecs - we will see great strides in compression technologies so that HD movies will come down in file size astronomically, and the quality difference between the download and the disc version will be insignificant to most eyes.

Mark my words...... Both are redundant technology

Even for storage the future is not with an 'optical' format. It is with cheap 'solid state' memory. 4 or 5 years time, bigger storage will be available on small solid state devices at around the same cost.

Even SONY have said they envision the next PS4 to not have an optical drive at all. They envision digital distribution, and given the success of the PSN Store / Live Store / VC Store it's obvious THAT IS THE FUTURE.... Step on board ;)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004

HD DVD is dead, hell at the local best buy they were stuffed in the corner with clearance prices while the blu ray players were full focus.

Circuit City is about the same way, most retailers in fact.

M$ isn't stupid enough to integrate HD DVD in to their systems, or at least i hope they aren't. Then again they didn't think twice about using shoddy hardware on their devices so...

Ed

Wait 'till Walmart has its say. Whatever these other stores do won't matter a bit until Walmart moves. There's talk of them having an exclusive low priced HDDVD drive as early as this year, and since HDDVD players are already $199 some places, that could mean a $149 or $99 by the end of the year.

If they do start selling a Walmart only HDDVD player, they very well may also start selling only HDDVDs and not BD. If that happens, expect every studio except Sony to start making HDDVDs sooner or later.

Even so, I do think that digital distribution will supplant discs before the HDDVD/BD fiasco sorts itself out. How it will all play out I'm not sure, but I sense the end of physical media is nearing.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I've said it once, and I'll say it again. While I agree I think the next step will probably be Digital distribution......it is still a long way off for other less technologically advanced countries. Plus not everyone has the internet in the technologically advanced countries. I personally can't wait, but think we'll see an optical format for at least the next 20 years(globally).

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
It may be a "dead" format, but that's not a bad deal, and i can think of at least 5 HD-DVDs worth getting...
Anyone know if you can use it with Macs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.