Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
How does HD DVD promis MORE exclusive later on when it has already lost most of(everything but Universal pretty much) it exclusive studios. If anything Blu-Ray has the most potential for winning the "content war" of the "optical format war."

Your argument was that Blu-ray had more exclusives currently, and I pointed out that was like the XBox 360 situation. My point was that if HD-DVD drops to $99 before Blu-ray, it will sell rapidly and thus gain the exclusives. Don't nitpick.

The PS3 is promising exclusives, but the XBox 360 is currently promising MORE exclusives if you add up the numbers. If the PS3 can start selling in large numbers, it'll get more exclusives than the 360. If HD-DVD can start selling in large numbers (due to lower price), it canget more exclusives.

It's hypocritical to insist on Blu-ray because it has more content when the XBox 360 has more content and you insist on the PS3.

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
wait im confused, can i buy a ps3 from japan with a game and use games bought here without worry? would a japan ps3 be able to play ntsc ps2 games? samething for xbox?

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Thats rather absurd argument as well, how will it gain exclusives?
If anything it Blu-Ray will lose exclusives, but that does not inherently mean the will now be exclusive to HD DVD. IT means they will more than likely support both. You are nit-picking.
Again teh comparison is stupid, 360 has more games becasue its been out longer, not because it is getting more exclusive support.

@ Steve-Jobless, you can import PS3 games from anywhere and they will play on any PS3, I am not certain about PS2/PS1 games.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Yea.. look at that PS3 software release lineup, it sure is lacking alright ;) So lacking that most the games are on the top ten most wanted list in Japan, as opposed to the Wii which had 1 or 2 :)

Considering Nintendo's recent past in the console market I am more fearful on the Wii investment than my PS3.

Ed

Yeah, but almost every exclusive on the PS3 has a comparable game on the 360, except lair, which i don't really care for anyway.
Halo 3>Killzone 2
Forza 2=GT5

Anyways my point is right now the PS3 and Wii lineups suck. But the DS had a horrible lineup, but when it started to sell well, it got a lot more games, many of them great. The Wii has sold very well, which will cause developers to create games for it. The PS3 has only sold well since the price drop, and that is only temporary, so sales will probably be bad after the 60 GB is discontinued. Games like Brawl, Mario Galaxy, and other first party wii games are unparalleled on any system. Microsoft can easily copy Heavenly sword, or any other PS3 game just as Sony did with Killzone.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Thats rather absurd argument as well, how will it gain exclusives?
If anything it Blu-Ray will lose exclusives, but that does not inherently mean the will now be exclusive to HD DVD. IT means they will more than likely support both. You are nit-picking.

Does it matter, as long as Blu-ray loses them? Realistically, movie studios rarely pick exclusives. If both sell well, studios will produce for both.
Fine then, let's remove the word exclusive so nitpicking stops.

IGNORING EVERYTHING ELSE, ANSWER THIS:

PS3 currently lacks content. XBox 360 has more content. The situation will improve with sales.
HD-DVD currently lacks content. Blu-ray has more content. The situation will improve with sales.

So, how can you justify bashing HD-DVD for lacking content when you support the PS3?

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Does it matter, as long as Blu-ray loses them? Realistically, movie studios rarely pick exclusives. If both sell well, studios will produce for both.
Fine then, let's remove the word exclusive so nitpicking stops.

IGNORING EVERYTHING ELSE, ANSWER THIS:

PS3 currently lacks content. XBox 360 has more content. The situation will improve with sales.
HD-DVD currently lacks content. Blu-ray has more content. The situation will improve with sales.

So, how can you justify bashing HD-DVD for lacking content when you support the PS3?

Because GAME SUPPORT AND MOVIE SUPPORT ARE DIFFERENT(i.e. not directly comparable).

Look at it this way.....Blu-Ray already had more exclusive support and HD DVD has lost exclusive support(something Blu-Ray has yet to do) - if HD DVD sales do increase, I agree that Blu-Ray will more than likely lose soem exclusivity. But we don't know what kind of exclusivity the deals are. Like Universal rumors, it could be a signed timed exclusive. If the BD exclusive supporting studios are indeed timed, and not based on personal preference, sales figures....then an increase in HD DVD players sales will NOT matter.

*goes to lunch*

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Please tell me where I said anything about piracy. I have a feeling I'll be waiting all day for an answer before you retract your misquote.

Modchips walk the line of illegalness (is that even a word?) here in the states as far ask I know. I am pretty sure that is what he was reffering to.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
To further expand.

Digital Distribution is already excepted in the public consciousness. Especially by the 'youth' for music as is.

When I said in 4-5 years, I meant we will start to see the beginning of proper digital distribution, espcially in regards to games & movies.

Yes there will be people who do not have internet access, but they will be catered for, but not by an optical solution.

Gaming Stores will adapt as much as Music stores are having too.

I envision the next batch of consoles to have removeable drives, that you can simply unplug - take to the gaming store which will have 'booths'. Plug in your drive, select the game you wish to purchase, and it is then transfered onto your HDD.

For those with fast Internet connections (and surely in 5 years time they WILL be faster), they will be able to download the game directly from the marketplace.

Apple TV has shown us the way. In 5 years time I envision a number of these devices. Heck even the 360 will have IPTV support before the year ends, and remember it can brodcast/stream HD-TV channels on that as it is.

Movie distribution will end up with the iMovie / iGame / iTunes style marketplace's.

Sony & Microsoft wanted thte current machines to be the beginnings of the device that replaces the GamesConsole, Movie Player & Video Recorder, even Apple too to an extent. They would not have all the features they currently have if they did not.

Furthermore......

This wont happen overnight in a few years time, and I never suggested it would... But.... It will BEGIN in earnest, and then slowly build up momentum and over the coming years begin to replace all other forms, so that yes in 10 years time it will be the prime distribution network.

I have seen the future.... and it's not orange ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
whats the point of MODDING proprietary, region locked hardware again? :rolleyes:

For my Xbox - dumping my own, legally purchased, games meant much faster loading times. And Super Mario Wars rocks. And I have just literally installed XBMC2 and it's friggin incredible. The 360 should have had this level of functionality.
For my Wii - to remove the region locking and homebrew (proper ones too, Quake Wii plz).
For my DS - Cave Story DS, Lemmings DS and hopefully that Doom DS. Pop3 email and MSN on the go.

Modchips walk the line of illegalness (is that even a word?) here in the states as far ask I know. I am pretty sure that is what he was reffering to.

Step away from your borders - there are other countries than the US with their own laws ;)
Modchips are perfectly legal where I am. To reduce people using modchips you sacrifice your warranty for them.
Just another thinking the world only spans from California to New York :rolleyes:

Still waiting for C-D to tell me why I'm a pirate.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Just another thinking the world only spans from California to New York :rolleyes:

Ummmm...no. Thats why I specified "here in the states", because I knew you weren't from the US. If everyone outside of the US is as pompous as yourself, however, then I am damn happy my world spans from CA to NY.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Because he saw your passport photo
pirate-costume-03.jpg

;):p:D

I modded both my Wii and original xbox and PS2's so that I could import NTSC games, and unlock 'component support' on the original xbox. Nothing to do with piracy for me - it just gave me a level playing field with other teritories :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Europeans = pirates for user upgrading their consoles to get Japan/US functionality.

barr08; My point was why would you bother telling me the legalities of modchips in the US? We're talking about Europeans using modchips...

oh! and MRU have you installed XBMC2 yet? I'm using the 360 skin and it's pretty fantastic. I'm putting my Apple TV purchase aside now :D Even has it's own YouTube feature, as low quality as them videos are.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Last time I checked Nintendo doesn't make its hardware based on the rules/laws that only adhere to people between cali/ny. :rolleyes:
(in fact aren't they a Japanese company?):p
Why don't you call them, and ask them why they don't offer the mod chips themselves or why the don't condone it........?
I never said you were a PIRATE or that you PIRATED anything, only that you(against the recommendation of your beloved Nintendo) would encourage people to go out and do things that break EULA, Piracy laws, etc.

@SteveJobless - what do you mean?
The console itself is region free(IF YOU USE HDMI), JPN/US come with Composite multi-out - while EU/UK comes with SCART multi-out......so you may have issues with video depending on your region and the region you imported from. I would recommend getting a PS3 from your respective regions(that way movies and PS1/PS2 games will be a NON-Issue)and import any PS3 games that are not available in your region.

@GFLPraxis - "360 has more content" only means that it has more games.
To attempt to correlate that comparatively to the statement: Blu-Ray has more exclusive studio support; is rather ignorant.

Of course 360 has more games, it will always have more games, as it has been out longer.
Does that mean its "content" is more exclusive or that somehow it will continue to have more exclusive content?
No, it means that right now they have more games, but that multi-platform support is relatively equal.......can you say the same for BD/HD DVD?
(as you said yourself, or someone with similar ideals, for every game that comes out on PS3 there will be similar game on 360)
That in an of itself negates your entire "content" argument.

But what do I know, I'm just some dumb PS3 fanboy that only lives by the rules governed between Calli and NY. ;)
(I think not)

[EDIT]
The only store here "shunning" HD-DVD is Sony's UK puppy; HMV. Whereas my local Sainbury's and a few other shops only stock HD-DVD...
Woolworths retail chain in the UK have been trialling both Blu-ray & HD-DVD product ranges. Since the PlayStation 3 release Blu-ray movie sales have seen a steady increase, and they are now rolling out Blu-ray movies across all their medium to large stores. However Woolworths will be dropping all HD-DVD lines.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
so we are condoning piracy eh?

I never said you were a PIRATE or that you PIRATED anything, only that you(against the recommendation of your beloved Nintendo) would encourage people to go out and do things that break EULA

Encouraging? Really? Where?

Nintendo doesn't recommend buying a lot of things that are perfectly legal. If I ring up Nintendo and ask them a GameShark (or whatever they're called now) code are they going oblige? If my GBA screen breaks would they recommend that I fix it myself? What about if I need to replace my iPod battery or overclock my video card?

OMgosh Nintendo doesn't recommend or support it so it must be illegal!

Woolworths? Try again with a shop that has an impact ;) there isn't even a Woolworths in Manchester! It's a dying shop that overcharges for all (£39 for Pokemon Emerald?) and sells very nice pick and mixes. Good try though. I suppose you need to be in England to understand. Unless it's big in London?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Coded Dude.

Be wary of sales report for UK & Ireland stores. Why ??

Simple. When they report BluRay sales. They do not differentiate between Games & Movies on BluRay.

So a PS3 game sale is classed as BR sale.

So if they did take that into consideration and reported movie sales only - then we might see a more interesting picture.

As it stands - the results here are ambiguous to say the least.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Not to be too pedantic here, but can we direct this back in the direction of the topic, at least?

I think that as long as BD keeps the exclusivity its got now, and can start dropping the prices (I have seen Samsung players going for $450 on Amazon, less than PS3 as was claimed earlier) , then they will win this format war. The time to download movies on the currently-deployed US network is just prohibitively long. Maybe in a number of years, but as a person with a new 1080p TV at home, BD looks like the best option to take advantage of that lovely display right now.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
BD looks like the best option to take advantage of that lovely display right now.

Yeah I'm not sure if someone insisted what I would recommend. I have both.

The reality is both are 'identical' in quality.

Generally most films are now available on both from what I see over on the stes I get my films from, so that makes the decison even harder.

I just bought, Flags Of Our Fathers and Letter From Hiroshima on Blu Ray (twice the price of the dvd versions) but prior to that I bought JarHead on HD-DVD.

I hav about 15 films on each format, both are just as good as each other for films. It's a really hard call.

I just wish there were more Hybrid players and then we wouldn't even need the discussion, just buy the film. :)

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Nintendo doesn't recommend buying a lot of things that are perfectly legal. If I ring up Nintendo and ask them a GameShark (or whatever they're called now) code are they going oblige? If my GBA screen breaks would they recommend that I fix it myself? What about if I need to replace my iPod battery or overclock my video card?

OMgosh Nintendo doesn't recommend or support it so it must be illegal!

EULA...do you know what that means? It means you AGREED to it, and by disagreeing with it and encouraging others to as well, you are BREAKING A LEGAL AGREEMENT. :rolleyes:
(that must be more of my Yankee thought process eh?)

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
EULA...do you know what that means? It means you AGREED to it, and by disagreeing with it and encouraging others to as well, you are BREAKING A LEGAL AGREEMENT. :rolleyes:
(that must be more of my Yankee thought process eh?)

Article 7: Prohibition of Duplication, Modification and Reverse-Engineering.

Only Nintendo has the right to host the Wii Network Services. Accordingly, you may not host, intercept, emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Nintendo as part of the Wii Network Services, regardless of the method used to do so. Prohibited methods include, but are not limited to, protocol emulation, reverse engineering, modifying, adding components to, or using a utility program to host, the Wii Network Services, the Wii console, the Nintendo Intellectual Property, or any portion of any of these. You may not create works based on the Nintendo Intellectual Property, or adapt, distribute or make the Nintendo Intellectual Property transmittable to the public. .

Thats from the European EULA for the Wii.

Congrats Jimmi, you've just broke it by modifying your Wii. You may have also broke DMCA laws (or whatever they are called there) by breaking the region coding by installing the PCB on your Wii.

That EULA applies to the system and the network before you go running your mouth about how it mentions WiiConnect. ;)

Mod chips always have and always will be illegal, they break the EULA agreement you made when you agreed to use the console.

Ed

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Incredible, sikkinixx asks to "break it up" so the more mature among us do. :)

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
on EULAs: in most countries in the EU they are worthless unless printed readable on the outside of a box, and with readable they mean actually printing the whole thing and not "you have to agree on the EULA inside"

EULAs packed in,digital on media you bought before: worthless
EULAs in front of installer of downloaded software: different matter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.