Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I am very interested in the Xbox tv for the game streaming aspect. Hopefully they will include a good ac wifi receiver, along with a gb Ethernet port. 90% of my parallels use is simply to stream the Xbox one to my iMac to play remotely. (Now if someone could make an adapter to trick my iMac into allowing thunderbolt target display mode with a hdmi source it would be perfect.)

A current slim Xbox one model is fine, my one complaint with the Xbox 360 transition was that they stopped making larger hard drives for the old model once the new models came out. At least it was possible to disassemble the older hard drive and use it in a new style Xbox with a cheap knockoff casing.

The rumor of a Xbox 1.5, or moving to frequent releases of new hardware does give me pause, I feel like I just got this console a year or two ago. I believe the 360 lasted 8 years before the Xbox one. At the end of the day it may become new new normal, and it sound like if vr takes off the current Xbox one simply does not have enough power.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I am very interested in the Xbox tv for the game streaming aspect. Hopefully they will include a good ac wifi receiver, along with a gb Ethernet port. 90% of my parallels use is simply to stream the Xbox one to my iMac to play remotely. (Now if someone could make an adapter to trick my iMac into allowing thunderbolt target display mode with a hdmi source it would be perfect.)

A current slim Xbox one model is fine, my one complaint with the Xbox 360 transition was that they stopped making larger hard drives for the old model once the new models came out. At least it was possible to disassemble the older hard drive and use it in a new style Xbox with a cheap knockoff casing.

The rumor of a Xbox 1.5, or moving to frequent releases of new hardware does give me pause, I feel like I just got this console a year or two ago. I believe the 360 lasted 8 years before the Xbox one. At the end of the day it may become new new normal, and it sound like if vr takes off the current Xbox one simply does not have enough power.

I'm hoping that the XBox TV would just be a XB360 compatible micro-console, compatible with all XB360 content (like the Playstation TV but actually have content available for it... :eek:).

Imagine a $99 XBox TV that plays all your XBox 360 games (and a usb port for an external DVD drive to play physical copies). :)

I understand a slimmer, cheaper to build current gen model, but the PS 4 NEO and XBox Scorpio would be like Sega when it was coming out with a new console or add on every few years. Though in this case it would be different as the game must still be playable on the earlier model.

Seems like PS4 sales are down at the stores I'm frequent as people are either waiting for an E3 price drop or the NEO...

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I'm hoping that the XBox TV would just be a XB360 compatible micro-console, compatible with all XB360 content (like the Playstation TV but actually have content available for it... :eek:).

Imagine a $99 XBox TV that plays all your XBox 360 games (and a usb port for an external DVD drive to play physical copies). :)

I understand a slimmer, cheaper to build current gen model, but the PS 4 NEO and XBox Scorpio would be like Sega when it was coming out with a new console or add on every few years. Though in this case it would be different as the game must still be playable on the earlier model.

Seems like PS4 sales are down at the stores I'm frequent as people are either waiting for an E3 price drop or the NEO...

I don't think this will be Xbox 360 compatible as they would probably not have officially discontinued the Xbox 360 until this was available in the market. In addition, if I remember correctly some major apps like watch ESPN have now been discontinued on the Xbox 360 (but still available on the Xbox one), i doubt that would have happened if the 360 platform was not at the end of life.

Depending on the versions available, a streamer version could still use the Xbox 360 PC chip, but if they want a rumored enhanced version that can play windows store universal apps as well, it would be much easier to use a more compatible cpu.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I don't think this will be Xbox 360 compatible as they would probably not have officially discontinued the Xbox 360 until this was available in the market. In addition, if I remember correctly some major apps like watch ESPN have now been discontinued on the Xbox 360 (but still available on the Xbox one), i doubt that would have happened if the 360 platform was not at the end of life.

Depending on the versions available, a streamer version could still use the Xbox 360 PC chip, but if they want a rumored enhanced version that can play windows store universal apps as well, it would be much easier to use a more compatible cpu.

The XBox 360 has been discontinued - but still supported...

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox-360-discontinued-but-microsoft-will-keep-selling-and-supporting-it/

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Sounds cool, my only ask would be to allow an exchangeable drive (be it spinning rust or SSD) that the consume can replace or change at will. The existing arrangement is annoying and the only negative on a great platform.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I cannot wait to see a new quieter and cooler and cheaper Xbox One Slim to be launched, it will replace my launch day PS4 which is loud and hot! I like using my consoles for media as well as games but the PS4 is rubbish for this, where I have it it's fan is very loud.
And I refuse to pay Sony more money for a quieter console that was released less then a year and half after the first one! Actually it annoy's me that they 'fixed' an issue that should NEVER have been there in the first instance.

And I am not going to buy a new console every 3 years either, no, that is NOT what the entire games console business plan is based on! You buy a console as you know it will last you a good few years, more then 3! I don't care about VR as IMO it had it's day yeeeaarrrrssssss ago!
If you want a machine that you update every 2 to 3 years buy a PC!!!! Not a games console.

That's my opinion on the matter anyway.

So yeah, hoping for an Xbox One Slim that will be put on my Christmas list so I can stream media in silence and in the cool, and Xbox Gold gives you FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR better games then the PSN service for the PS4 does! In fact Microsoft have made the entire Xbox eco system represent FAR better value then Sony have with the Playstation eco system.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Rumors are fantasizing that the new Scorpio system will be able to support Oculus Rift. Does this sound plausible? I seem to remember reading the Rift needs a very powerful PC to run it, even by today's standards.

If they pull this off and get Minecraft VR on the One, it could be a tough blow against Sony.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Rumors are fantasizing that the new Scorpio system will be able to support Oculus Rift. Does this sound plausible? I seem to remember reading the Rift needs a very powerful PC to run it, even by today's standards.

If they pull this off and get Minecraft VR on the One, it could be a tough blow against Sony.

Yes, it will support OR.

The PlayStation 4 NEO will support the VR without the need of the "booster box" so I'd imagine they'll end up being the same...

The PS 4 NEO with VR may be cheaper by then...

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
From what I can tell from the live blogs, they introduced the Xbox replacement (Holiday 2017) and Xbox one slim (August this year). No Xboxtv however, which is disappointing as I was hoping for an easy way to remote play my Xbox one in other rooms.

I guess the best solution would be in Intel nuc/Intel compute stick for my needs, although I don't really want the hassles of a complete Windows computer just to stream the Xbox.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What I really really really hope happens now is we enter a new phase of console cycles. I mean sure Nintendo has been doing this for a while now but I'd like it to be standard across MS and Sony platforms too.

In that we get a .5 upgrade after 4-5 years and it's completely backwards compatible with the previous system at least, perhaps allowing for higher resolutions or more consistent framerates.

That would be great. There's less pressure to upgrade for consumers but possible for devs to push out more demanding games, and creates a potentially shorter upgrade cycle netting in sales from the more dedicated game players.

I like the concept of the Xbox Scorpio. I hope the PS4K is boosted to keep up with it.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I love the Xbox One S, the best console yet and will hopefully get one, providing it's still very quiet and cool, to replace my noisy hot PS4.

I also do NOT support one bit this idea to upgrade consoles every four years. What's the point? They said on the Xbox all new games will run on all consoles, they just look prettier or run in VR on the Scorpio.
I like the 6 or 7 year upgrade cycle personally as they are games consoles and not PC's.

Last edited:

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
If the Xbox One S supported the full Windows 10 desktop experience, I could see a lot of people using that as their desktop.

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
I love the Xbox One S, the best console yet and will hopefully get one, providing it's still very quiet and cool, to replace my noisy loud PS4.

I also do NOT support one bit this idea to upgrade consoles every four years. What's the point? They said on the Xbox all new games will run on all consoles, they just look prettier or run in VR on the Scorpio.
I like the 6 or 7 year upgrade cycle personally as they are games consoles and not PC's.

Then just buy every other console. There's a huge point to it. Your reasoning for not supporting it is very vague. It's a more steady cash flow for the companies involved. Plus, some don't want to be stuck with a 6-7 year old gaming console. PS3 and Xbox 360 were out far too long.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I was just browsing for preorders. So Microsoft is holding the cheaper 500GB and 1TB until end of the year. Blatant up sell :mad: I'm only even considering buying another for the 4K Bluray capability. I'll hold off and see what the PS4.5 is like first.

I agree with Apolloa. Game consoles should not have such a short lifespan, and creates more work for the devs having these .5 console upgrades.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I agree with Apolloa. Game consoles should not have such a short lifespan, and creates more work for the devs having these .5 console upgrades.
As a dev it really is not much extra work. I've made PC and console games and I'd be willing to bet most console devs, or all big devs, will be able to simply increase resolution. I'm really trying hard to understand what the concerns are :eek: because it just seems like such a nice idea. I haven't made a console game in a couple of years so I don't know how these new systems will work. And the older systems are not at the end of their lives! A 2014 PS4 will play all new PS4 games right up until the platform ends.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
As a dev it really is not much extra work. I've made PC and console games and I'd be willing to bet most console devs, or all big devs, will be able to simply increase resolution. I'm really trying hard to understand what the concerns are :eek: because it just seems like such a nice idea. I haven't made a console game in a couple of years so I don't know how these new systems will work. And the older systems are not at the end of their lives! A 2014 PS4 will play all new PS4 games right up until the platform ends.
One of the articles I read stated that Microsoft will let devs decide if they choose to make a title Scorpio only. I know Sony is saying all future titles will run on all PS4 hardware, but these policies are subject to change. I guess my concern is having a fragmented install base. If I upgrade, will I get all the performance I paid for, or will the devs optimize for the older console? If I don't upgrade, what am I missing out on?

Don't get me wrong, I love upgrading my gadgets. I'm specing out an i7-6800k and X99 board right now, having just totally rebuilt both my boxes with new mobos and CPU less than a month ago. But I'm used to a 6-8 year console generation.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
One of the articles I read stated that Microsoft will let devs decide if they choose to make a title Scorpio only. I know Sony is saying all future titles will run on all PS4 hardware, but these policies are subject to change. I guess my concern is having a fragmented install base. If I upgrade, will I get all the performance I paid for, or will the devs optimize for the older console? If I don't upgrade, what am I missing out on?

Don't get me wrong, I love upgrading my gadgets. I'm specing out an i7-6800k and X99 board right now, having just totally rebuilt both my boxes with new mobos and CPU less than a month ago. But I'm used to a 6-8 year console generation.

I have no knowledge on this, like I say I haven't made a console game in a long time! Buuuuut it sounds like the Scorpio is a next gen platform. Its just going to be one that's partially forward compatible (which Epic did mention about before the Xbox One. It seems its been in their sights for a while now. Next gen to play current gen games with a few bonuses).

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
That Xbox One S, and Scorpio both look appealing. One piece of info I haven't been able to find on the 'S' though, is what Hard disk type (SSD/HDD) , speed (RPM if HDD) , and interface type (SATA#) the Hard Drive is using for that 2TB.
If it is significantly faster than the internal drive of my 1TB Xbox One I might consider an upgrade.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I was just browsing for preorders. So Microsoft is holding the cheaper 500GB and 1TB until end of the year. Blatant up sell :mad: I'm only even considering buying another for the 4K Bluray capability. I'll hold off and see what the PS4.5 is like ffirst.

Not an upsell - more like trying to get rid of old stock.

Also, the top one will be bought by those upgrading or finally taking the plunge into UHD movie buying...

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Yep agree, it makes a lot of sense to offer something bigger/different so 2TB is a good idea.
Still bum'd they don't have the removable drive.. but no doubt i'll buy one.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Yep agree, it makes a lot of sense to offer something bigger/different so 2TB is a good idea.
Still bum'd they don't have the removable drive.. but no doubt i'll buy one.

With any luck, Scorpio will have a removable drive bay. :)
If it's a feature we want we gotta get it on https://xbox.uservoice.com and up vote it.
MS has actually been doing a pretty good job the last year or so listening to people's input.

It occurs to me that as we enter a new xbox era, where he consoles are getting closer to PC in terms of the fact that you will have multiple hardware iterations for the platform. I hope Microsoft will require games that are released be able to gracefully down-scale across the different models. So we don't start seeing games that only work on the newest consoles. i suppose the exception there might need to be the games that are exclusively for VR.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
No Xboxtv however, which is disappointing as I was hoping for an easy way to remote play my Xbox one in other rooms.

I guess the best solution would be in Intel nuc/Intel compute stick for my needs, although I don't really want the hassles of a complete Windows computer just to stream the Xbox.

I bought a Kangaroo and so far as a PC, it's great - haven't tried XBox Streaming on it yet, so far just trying out different games on it. It is only $99.

Yeah, because of this as well as prices dropping for used consoles (the XBox 360 Slim 4Gigs I see a lot of places for $99 and the XBox One 500Gigs will be around $199 used), I don't think an XBox TV would be worth it anymore...

BTW - I can't find any mention of the Playstation TV on Sony's websites anymore. You have to search for it to find the older pages. Looks like they've quietly abandoned it... :(

Last edited:

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
With any luck, Scorpio will have a removable drive bay. :)
If it's a feature we want we gotta get it on https://xbox.uservoice.com and up vote it.
MS has actually been doing a pretty good job the last year or so listening to people's input.

It occurs to me that as we enter a new xbox era, where he consoles are getting closer to PC in terms of the fact that you will have multiple hardware iterations for the platform. I hope Microsoft will require games that are released be able to gracefully down-scale across the different models. So we don't start seeing games that only work on the newest consoles. i suppose the exception there might need to be the games that are exclusively for VR.

provided feedback for drive trays.

Reactions: arkmannj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.