Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
I disagree

I own the one X, and I barely use it, but I still think its pretty damn awesome.

You, quite literally, made my point precisely, both in my original post and in my response: it's a wonderful console that I'm struggling to find a use for.

I've said I own it, and I think it's a brilliant piece of hardware in a vacuum, but I can't find a good reason beyond collecting hardware to own it. 95% of multiplats are playable on PC, as are nearly all of Xbox's exclusives following its cross-platform push with Windows PC. The sort of people willing to drop half a grand on a console, and aren't hardware collectors, are graphics power enthusiasts and have PC hardware to meet those needs. Other than playing the handful of Xbox exclusives that aren't available on PC, and the other handful of backward-compatible OG and 360 titles, what's the point to having it as a game console. Sure, you can say use it as a UHD player, but the Oppo UDP-203, which is a top-of-the-line player amongst what's available, is very nearly the same price and is Dolby Vision-enabled which is something that, to my knowledge, the XB1X doesn't support.

Yes, Xbox enthusiasts are buying it, that's how brand loyalty works. I just don't know how it appeals to anyone that isn't invested in the platform, isn't a hardware collector or isn't a completionist with money to burn.

TopShelf

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2017
You, quite literally, made my point precisely, both in my original post and in my response: it's a wonderful console that I'm struggling to find a use for.

I've said I own it, and I think it's a brilliant piece of hardware in a vacuum, but I can't find a good reason beyond collecting hardware to own it. 95% of multiplats are playable on PC, as are nearly all of Xbox's exclusives following its cross-platform push with Windows PC. The sort of people willing to drop half a grand on a console, and aren't hardware collectors, are graphics power enthusiasts and have PC hardware to meet those needs. Other than playing the handful of Xbox exclusives that aren't available on PC, and the other handful of backward-compatible OG and 360 titles, what's the point to having it as a game console. Sure, you can say use it as a UHD player, but the Oppo UDP-203, which is a top-of-the-line player amongst what's available, is very nearly the same price and is Dolby Vision-enabled which is something that, to my knowledge, the XB1X doesn't support.

Yes, Xbox enthusiasts are buying it, that's how brand loyalty works. I just don't know how it appeals to anyone that isn't invested in the platform, isn't a hardware collector or isn't a completionist with money to burn.

Nope that's fair, I should of said I agreed with you then disagreed. I assumed you were going the other way.

Clearly Xbox makes more profit per console on an xbox one x, then say a xbox one, or xbox one S, which is what makes it profitable, to build something that doesn't have much of a "new and improved feel". That's why we have it.

I guess I look at it as the enjoyment of advancing technology. For people who have money to spend, its a purchase. But it's still quite reasonable for people who don't have a bunch a cash lying around to buy one. If you're a 21 year old game junkie, but low on coin, chances are you have a Xbox one S or equivalent. You go out and sell your current system a month or so before the new one comes out and the price drop in all the One S bundles, and you end up spending a couple hundred bucks and your'e now back at the top of the gaming (console) system for a few more years.

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
Still loving my XB1X and the enhanced games. Moving on to Quantum Break if I can quit Frontier Assault mode in Titanfall 2.

The only thing is now my controllers constantly drop connection when in wireless mode. The new controller, my old controllers, you name it. They all drop. Plugging in solves the connectivity, but who likes to be plugged in?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.