Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Series S reviews are out.

Unfortunately it's difficult to judge its performance difference to the Series X until next gen titles are ready.

What makes the Series S more interesting than it was last week, is the revaluation that the PS5 is only capable of 120fps at 1080p.......just like the Series S.

This debunks the myth that the Series S is not a next gen console. Therefore, if your priority is high frame rate then the Series S is worth considering. So far there are more xbox titles than PS5 titles that support 120fps.

Obviously there will be some next gen games for which the Series S won't have Ray tracing or 120fps. However this needs to be weighed against the very affordable price, discrete form factor and value of game pass.

You can buy a Series S and a 120hz monitor for less than the price of a Series X or Digital PS5.

For me, I want to get the best hardware. I do understand it'll cost me, but I don't want to buy something that already as lesser hardware only to be outdated sooner.

I also think the series X and the PS5 both look WAY nicer than the series S. I know there's plenty of people who don't care about that but I like keeping my gaming device on display and having it look nice is defintely a plus.

Reactions: Donfor39

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
@Hieveryone

As I had launch day home, I could have possibly chosen from three next gen consoles.
Decided S series as it's digital games, I don't have HDR as yet from 2015 4K Sony screen.
Going to run next year before deciding if it's HDR time, then review X/ps5.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Let me know how you get on with it.

I bought a pack of 8 2800mAh AA batteries from Amazon with a charger.

Early day's only a few hours use.
Arrived maybe 60% charged, topped it up whilst downloading Hellblade.
What's todays C.O.D. Cold War 21.9gb update.
Then noticed I could re fit controller cover over play|+charge which is nice.
I intend to re post when re charging is required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.