Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Easily Confused

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2023
Sam, for those of us who are a little slow (and right now, I'm feeling like that would be an improvement... what was I thinking upgrading my iOS while trying to get work done with Xcode), can you spell out the FULL path I need to be clicking thru to get to the directory you showed in your screenshot? And where I need to click to find the destination?

Please, small words & short sentences... I'm not finding the new OR the old sets of directories that your screenshot depicted. Thanks for the help!

samcolak

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Köln, DE
Sam, for those of us who are a little slow (and right now, I'm feeling like that would be an improvement... what was I thinking upgrading my iOS while trying to get work done with Xcode), can you spell out the FULL path I need to be clicking thru to get to the directory you showed in your screenshot? And where I need to click to find the destination?

Please, small words & short sentences... I'm not finding the new OR the old sets of directories that your screenshot depicted. Thanks for the help!

Hey Confused... Ok - here goes

1. Goto https://developer.apple.com - Login using your developer credentials
2. Scroll to the bottom on the left there's "Xcode" and "Xcode cloud" - Click "Xcode"
3. Right side - blue button - Download - Select "Website" (not AppStore)
4. Select the file (scrolling down a little) -> Xcode 14.3 Release Candidate - Dated 21 March of later
5. Click "View Details" - Under this you'll see the download prompt (Xcode 14.3 Release Candidate.xip"
5. Clicking the file automatically starts the download of a 7.53GB (approx file)
6. Open Finder - Goto the Downloads Folder (~/Downloads) - Double Click of the "Xcode 14.3 Release Candidate.xip" file - This begins decompressing the file to about 27GB
7. Right Click on the "Xcode.app" icon - Select "Show Contents" - This opens Finder - You'll be looking at a directory labeled "Contents"
8. Navigate to (Double click) to traverse to "Developer" -> "Platforms" -> "iPhoneOS.platform" -> "DeviceSupport"
9. Open another instance of Finder (Cmd+N) - Go to your "Applications" Folder - Look for Xcode - Right click here - Select "Show Contents" again after the window shows the "Contents" directory, navigate again to the same location in 8
10. In the earlier Finder window you'll see "16.4" - Copy (Cmd+C) the directory and in the new Finder window, paste it (you'll see that the directory is missing)
11. If you need AppleWatch, just change the directory in Step 8 to "WatchOS.platform" - for AppleTV its "AppleTVOS.platform"
12. Restart Xcode and plug in your device and hey presto...

Hope that helps,
Sam

Reactions: heycezer

idiot5000

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2023

Attachments

• Снимок 30.03.2023 в 22.13.jpeg
    Снимок 30.03.2023 в 22.13.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

samcolak

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Köln, DE
Xcode 14.3 has been released and only for MacOS 13 - Seems they've decided to shut out legacy systems in the development cycle..

kittonian

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Austin, TX
I'm running an OpenCore MP 5,1 with Monterey 12.5.1. I just updated to XCode 14.3 and modified the Info.plist file per the StackExchange instructions so that the minimum system version required is 12.0 instead of 13.0. Simulator's Info.plist still says 12.0 as the minimum system version so no modifications we seemingly necessary there.

However, while XCode builds and runs just fine on my iPhone XR running 16.4, the Simulator running 16.4 only shows a blank black screen. I can see the Apple logo if I run Erase Settings or Restart but the nothing. When trying to run an XCode project in Simulator it gets to "Launching ProjectName" and just sits there. Neither XCode nor the Simulator crashes or hangs, it just sits there. I can quit Simulator, and try again, but nothing changes.

I tried rebooting my system and no change there either. I also tried replacing the xcbuild app in usr/bin with the 14.2 version and same issue so I put back to the 14.3 version.

Anyone know how to get the 16.4 Simulator working again? Really need this so I don't always have to test on an actual device (which takes forever to build/run each time).

Thanks!

tb2johm

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2023
Monterey is the last version my Mac supports. Xcode 14.2 is the last Xcode version Monterey supports. iOS 16.3.1 is the last iOS version Xcode 14.2 supports. Copying the 16.4 folder from Xcode 14.3 RC to DeviceSupport doesn't seem to work.

I see only two solutions: Downgrade my iPhone to 16.3.1 or buy a new Mac. Am I missing something?

UPDATE: Oh wait, the 'copying the 16.4 folder' fix does work. I just have to keep the deployment target at 16.2. Huge relief!

I'm having the same issue. So I have downloaded xcode 14.3 (does it need to be the RC?)
And added the 16.4 deviceSupport to the folder, however I still get the "Failed to prepare...".
What's this deployment target you speak about?

And one more thing, I'm running 16.4.1 if that matters...

UPDATE: Woops, never mind, I only had to reconnect the iphone (did it while in the device window but I doubt that that mattered).

@samcolak Tanks for a great thread!

Last edited:

daanodinot

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2015
I'm having the same issue. So I have downloaded xcode 14.3 (does it need to be the RC?)
And added the 16.4 deviceSupport to the folder, however I still get the "Failed to prepare...".
What's this deployment target you speak about?

And one more thing, I'm running 16.4.1 if that matters...

UPDATE: Woops, never mind, I only had to reconnect the iphone (did it while in the device window but I doubt that that mattered).

@samcolak Tanks for a great thread!
The deployment target is a setting in Xcode, but I believe it's not really related to the "failed to prepare" issue. Or at least: even if you use a lower deployment target, you still need the latest iOS version folder.

In the case of 16.5, just duplicating the 16.4 folder did the trick for me.

And yeah, connecting your iPhone successfully to Xcode is always a bit of a mess for me.

roguescroll

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2023
Is anyone facing the same issue but with iOS 16.5?
Doh! I just saw the above message. will try out the fix

UPDATE -
Duplicating the 16.4 folder fixed it for me as well

Thank you @samcolak! you saved me many hours of trying to figure out what happened!

Last edited:
Reactions: samcolak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.