Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paddy learner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
ireland
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjCTutorial/index.html
the urgency of this problem needing solvig is due to my need to complete a 3rd year college software project in a tight shedule
college based in Dublin Ireland and 99.99% microsoft student tutor envioment so no possibilty to locate semi or expert mac head in college:(

just bought the apple ibook 12 inch tiger 10.4 last week so am a serious newby to mac
The immeadiate requiment is to reproduce the example currencyconvertor in xcode
have completed the gui part but cant figure out this command drag tab munbo jumbo to get the text fields to accept inputs

exact quote of instuctions is below taken from url supplied on top of thread

not figure 2-14 not supplied

Enable Tabbing Between Text Fields
The final step in composing the Currency Converter user interface has more to do with behavior than with appearance. You want the user to be able to tab from the first editable field to the second, and back to the first. Many objects in Interface Builder’s palettes have an outlet named nextKeyView. This variable identifies the next object to receive keyboard events when the user presses the Tab key (or the previous object when Shift-Tab is pressed). A Cocoa application by default makes its “best guess” about how to handle text field tabbing, but this guess often produces unexpected results. If you want correct interfield tabbing, you must connect fields through the nextKeyView outlet:

Select the Exchange Rate text field.

Control-drag a connection from the Exchange Rate text field to the Dollars to Convert text field, as shown in Figure 2-14.

Figure 2-14 Connecting nextKeyView outlets in Interface Builder

In the inspector for the Dollars to Convert text field click Outlets, select nextKeyView, and click Connect. The nextKeyView outlet identifies the next object to respond to events after the Tab key is pressed.

Repeat the same procedure, going from the Dollars to Convert text field to the Exchange Rate text field.

being able to complete this example will alow me to modify it for my project but if I cant do this example by tommorrow I have to abandon this project and go back to the college java enviorment and code line by line say the tutor
:( :(

Paddy

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
What it means is hold down the control key then click one control and whilst holding down the mouse AND the control key make a connection to the next control you want to be the next tab.

The same procedure is used to link outlets in the controller to controls and controls to their targets in the controller.

Well that's what I think you're asking....

paddy learner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
ireland
Nothing works

for me there exists several possibilites

the most likley is some combination of button pressing exists that will do this funcion

or the keyboard on ibook isnt the same as the normal mac and so these features dont work

until there is a remap of the ibooks keyboards

or some patch download to solve that issue

or the program didnt install correctly and needs reinstalling

or xcode is another vapor ware that still in development:D

is there any download movies of this xcode working that does currency convertor or similar such as the four funcion calculator example from o Riely online cocoa book

or is there a way to hard code in the tab select section and the

Set the First Responder for the Currency Converter Window which is also dependent on this control drag system that dosnt work

yeah I know dumb to hard code a GUI system but if GUI dosnt work on my computer at least later I might get the local cyber cafe to put the xworks into there single mac and do the work on thier computer

Paddy Learner

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
XCode works perfectly well (although it sound like your issue is with Interface Builder). I have used both on iBooks in the past: they work fine. I assume you have a UK keyboard? Again I've used this in the past on an iBook (and currently without issue on my PowerBook).

I'm not on a Mac at the moment so I can't really post much more than that, sorry.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
paddy learner said:
for me there exists several possibilites

the most likley is some combination of button pressing exists that will do this funcion

or the keyboard on ibook isnt the same as the normal mac and so these features dont work

until there is a remap of the ibooks keyboards

or some patch download to solve that issue

or the program didnt install correctly and needs reinstalling

or xcode is another vapor ware that still in development:D

is there any download movies of this xcode working that does currency convertor or similar such as the four funcion calculator example from o Riely online cocoa book

or is there a way to hard code in the tab select section and the

Set the First Responder for the Currency Converter Window which is also dependent on this control drag system that dosnt work

yeah I know dumb to hard code a GUI system but if GUI dosnt work on my computer at least later I might get the local cyber cafe to put the xworks into there single mac and do the work on thier computer

Paddy Learner

Either your copy of the dev tools is borked or it's you.

It works on every copy of Interface Builder that I've ever used and I've used it on a ibook, powerbook and on a powermac. All with UK keyboards and keymaps - not that the control key moves anyway.

OK lets run through this again. You have interface builder open with your GUI in it. You select the first responder icon (click once on it - this will make sure that window is 'key') then hold down the control key. Whilst holding down the control key click and hold down the mouse/trackpad button. Drag the arrow across to the GUI you have drawn until it outlines the control you want to be the first responder. Let go of the button. You can then use the inspector to select the outlet/target you need to connect.

paddy learner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
ireland
I have no idea what setting is for the keyboard

I bought the ibook in a shop in ireland switched on loaded up xcode and IB
and dived in:D

I will check but suspect it will be UK keyboard roman but with irish flag so under irish roman

what it shows from further investigation is that my intererpatation control which seemed to me to be the bootom left button marked ctrl might not be control as this screen capture suggest that symbol ^ above number 6 is control so will pursue this line of direction

paddy

Attachments

• keyboard1jpeg.jpg
    keyboard1jpeg.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 128

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
paddy learner said:
what it shows from further investigation is that my intererpatation control which seemed to me to be the bootom left button marked ctrl might not be control as this screen capture suggest that symbol ^ above number 6 is control so will pursue this line of direction

That's more than a little unlikely! Control is not on shift-6. It's near the bottom left of the keyboard. Are you sure you are following the instructions carefully. You don't press control then let it go. You need to hold it down.

paddy learner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
ireland
screen shots of last two stages

i tried out ^ and that wasnt it

yes I hold down control ctrl all the time so thats unlikly to be reason

will respond later got top catch train to go to home

Attachments

• grab currncyconvertor2jpeg.jpg
    grab currncyconvertor2jpeg.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 125
  • currency connvertor3jpeg.jpg
    currency connvertor3jpeg.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 118

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
paddy learner said:
Stop your pursuit. ^ is just the symbol sometimes used to represent the Control key. It does not mean the "carrat" key (Shift-6). I admit that can be confusing, as Option, Shift, and Command all get their own, less ambiguous symbols. They definitely mean the key marked "Control". Whether you actually have one of those or not is a different story...

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
So what happens if you do the following.

1. Click once on the textfield next to "convert currence$". Just to select it. Let the mouse pointer hover over it.
2. Press and hold ctrl (don't let go)
3. Press the mouse button / mousepad button (don't let go)
4. Start dragging the mouse or use a third finger on the mouse pad.

Do you get a green rectangle around the textfield and a green line and arrow that follow your mouse pointer? If you don't, then something is wrong. If you do, you're on the right track. Drag it to the other textfield and let go of the mouse button.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
If I'm not mistaken, you can also right click and drag and have the same effect as ctrl-drag... at least in Webobjects...

If your desperate, try a two-button mouse and right-click-drag.
Ctrl is on the bottom right BTW. Why don't you try changing the keyboard layout to English US (which is what I'm sure apple uses in America) and try ctrl-drag...

paddy learner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
ireland
I think this has solved the problem there is a bug in the program

gekko513 said:
So what happens if you do the following.

1. Click once on the textfield next to "convert currence$". Just to select it. Let the mouse pointer hover over it.
2. Press and hold ctrl (don't let go)
3. Press the mouse button / mousepad button (don't let go)
4. Start dragging the mouse or use a third finger on the mouse pad.

Do you get a green rectangle around the textfield and a green line and arrow that follow your mouse pointer? If you don't, then something is wrong. If you do, you're on the right track. Drag it to the other textfield and let go of the mouse button.

I have before done similar and I dont get this arrow stuff and the diagram inferred I should get an affect and nothing happened so suspect faulty installation bug or something
I will confim to-morrow what is the outcome but this looks very likely the solution

thanks
paddy learner

paddy learner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
ireland
quote gekko513

Do you get a green rectangle around the textfield and a green line and arrow that follow your mouse pointer? If you don't, then something is wrong.

somethings definitly wrong followed instructions and dont get anything at all

Reinstalled software(just put in both disks and did the routine)
still the same dosnt work

As I am at cyber cafe with Broadband for the day is it possible to hook into xcodes teck dept remotely and get them to fix it

or is there a patch
or would changing from tiger to a lesser version like 9 or 10.xx solve the problem

All ears

Paddy

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Have you tried the XCode Mailing Lists.

I am 99% sure that there is nothing wrong with the software and that you are doing something wrong.

There is no such thing as "xcodes teck dept". Apple do provide technical assistance for developers but it's not free. You need to pay per incident.

Please can you ensure that you are following the instructions to the letter. In the screenshots you posted you appear to have the wrong object selected.

paddy learner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
ireland
Personnaly I dont buy there is a fault with the software

when it mac products the chance of bugs is remote

I will try again for the millionth time

I will post screen shots from start to finish if I fail as that might supply the awnser

paddy

paddy learner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
ireland
starting from scratch shortened version currency convertor

First open xcode and make new file
currencyconvertor20
for this new attempt

then open IB and name currencyconvertor20 and save to chosen location

is it possible that chosen location is causing problems 5th photo shot

Attachments

• pic1j.jpg
    pic1j.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 98
  • pic2j.jpg
    pic2j.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 100
  • pic3j.jpg
    pic3j.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 96
  • pic4j.jpg
    pic4j.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 94
  • pic 7aj.jpg
    pic 7aj.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 111

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Dragging should look like this, just so you know. I remembered the details slightly wrong. Also, you will probably get a blue line instead of green. I've changed the selection colour. Also, I found out that you don't really have to click the textfield first, just start dragging.

I've been thinking about possible user errors. If you're dragging from the Connections window, that's the wrong approach. You should drag from the textfield itself. Just in case.

Attachments

• drag.png
    drag.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 102

paddy learner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
ireland
sorry for the break but system went down and had to travel home

gekko and cave man will answer after pics

PICS continued

first pic drag down text field

second pic drag down text and change text

third pic highlight text field and then highlight attributes to change to connections

4th pic change choice to connections and delegaste is highlighted by default
5th pic change choice to nextkeyview

Attachments

• pic12j.jpg
    pic12j.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 91
  • pic14j.jpg
    pic14j.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 103
  • pic15j.jpg
    pic15j.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 96
  • pic17j.jpg
    pic17j.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 97
  • pic19j.jpg
    pic19j.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 92

paddy learner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
ireland
Now it goes per shaped

1st pic here
the nextkeyview stays highlighted

I place my finger on control button marked ctrl 2nd button from left at bottom of keyboard keeping it continuly pressed and bring the arrow over the hihlighted text field

the arrow dsnt show in the pic but is hovering over the top textfield

then I press the mouse pad and several thing happen which sholdnt

first the highlighted nextkeyview changes immedialy to the delegate highlight

the text field maintains the dotted button configeration for resize and when `I drag either nothing drags or a drag handle drags and resizes the top text field

as in pic 2

Attachments

• pic20j.jpg
    pic20j.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 93
  • pic22j.jpg
    pic22j.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 91

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Nevermind the connections window and whether or not nextkeyview is highlighted. That comes after you do the drag.

Edit: You seem to do it in the right way ... you should of course not resize the top text field, though, so the mouse pointer must be placed in the center of the text field. It doesn't matter that the highlighted nextkeyview changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.