Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Pizza Boy said:
As a custom builder of pc's and having worked in a windows enviroment all my life. I have always enjoyed the large hardware/software options available in the pc. From case mods, video cards, and multiple dvd burners to the numerous application and games. My latest custom build was for me. I bought all the latest hardware (AMD dual core 4200+ chip, Nvidia 6800GT, 2-GB's ram, 200GB Sata drive and Thermaltake case). The OS was Windows XP 64. It ran very stable. Total cost without monitor $2,000. Well after trying to install many of my favorite video/audio apps. I began to realize that most apps that would install only ran in 32-bit and not 64. It was very dissapointing. Those 32-bit apps did however run faster due to the hardware specs. At this point I started to think of what I might/should have done differently. Most notable was taking a Apple for a spin. Especially since I broke the $2,000 mark which is where Power PC G5 prices start. I have several family/friends that rant and rave about their Mac's. I also belong to many different forum websites where many Mac users congregate. I also attended Mac Expo 2005 in SF with many of my Mac friends. First time attending. But my biggest problem with making the purchase of a Mac is/was all the pompous arrogance I have encountered towards Windows. Myself I view all computers OS's the same. They are a means of getting the things I need/want done as effeciently as possible. In my years of pc usage, I have never had a virus. I had experienced spam once while testing some third party software that I got from an unreliable source but was quickly removed. But I recently decided to go ahead and switch. So I sold my custom pc and ordered my Power PC G5 2.3 Ghz w/Nvidea 6800 video card, 2 gb of ram, bluetooth. Cost just under $3,000. Will receive Sept 13th 2005. Expensive yes !!! But I am willing to spend to see how a Mac 64-bit OS and hardware/software configuration stack up. The other reason for switching is Microsoft unwillingness to secure it's OS. Not that I have personally been directly impacted but I do a fair amount of cleaning of infected pc's for family,friends and coworkers. I spend countless hours cleaning machines up, explaining to the pc owner the do's & don't's. Ya know, basic common sense that all users should use whether they are Mac, Linux, or Windows. What I do hope to see in the coming weeks is despite all the pompous attitudes from Mac users. That they are right !!! I then can begin to spread my knowledge base to other Window users that switching to Mac is/can be a very positive experience without the attitude. I just hope I can keep my hands off the G5 making case mod changes. :D

Let me introduce you to a friend of mine. The Return key. I suggest becoming good friends-- he will serve you well. ;)

forumBuddy said:
The 10.4.2 update broke my 3rd party Airport support and I had to reinstall OS, all because Tiger doesn't have any concept of Restore Points as well as centralized Uninstall system - another thing that I miss about Windows.

Uninstall? Drag to trash. That's pretty central. :D
And Restore Points are nothing but trouble. My video card driver went out randomly, so I decided to try 'em out. The response? "Restoration Failed. We hate you." Or something like that :)p). After reinstalling the drivers, it worked again. But about a month later Windows died. Random crashes, blah blah blah. Anywhoo, those Restore Points are also easily infected. And since you need to be able to start up in Windows to use them they are useless when your computer has major issues.
Apple's equivalent is the Archive Install. Doesn't rely on the pre-installed OS, and works every time. :)

Pizza Boy

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2005
I've had a 50% success with restore points under XP/Windows 2003 Server . I have also rolled back XP SP2 but generally some drivers (video/audio) will need to reinstalled. Usually that is not a big deal.
All that is not needed if one uses image back up software. Using System Restore is kinda like relying on the govt to restore your house after a natural disaster. Not worth the gamble if you ask me.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Pizza Boy said:
All that is not needed if one uses image back up software. Using System Restore is kinda like relying on the govt to restore your house after a natural disaster. Not worth the gamble if you ask me.

Which you can do on the Mac as well, so maybe the difference isn't so great after all.

A procedure that works half of the time isn't very successful.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mechcozmo said:
Apple's equivalent is the Archive Install. Doesn't rely on the pre-installed OS, and works every time. :)

This was one technical feature in the 3 months I used in OS 7 briefly & in OS X 10.1.5. It was beautiful simplicity. Works really smooth! Another Mac beauty. Makes me wonder what would've happen to Apple, had steve jobs NOT continue with the Pirate Mac project which beared fruit into the MacIntosh. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.