Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love Divine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Anyone else in the same boat? My primary reason would be battery - the XS max was okay at first but is now at 88% health and isn’t cutting it. More base storage would be nice as would the cameras.

I’m thinking pay $70, replace the battery and ride it out till September 2021... any advice? Thanks!

Deeps

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Nottingham, UK
Yes for sure.

My main reason is the 12 has the Qualcomm modem whereas the XS has an intel one, which is rubbish. Constant drop outs of reception.

Love Divine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Yes for sure.

My main reason is the 12 has the Qualcomm modem whereas the XS has an intel one, which is rubbish. Constant drop outs of reception.

is it that big of a difference?

not noticing much of that in a major city

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Anyone else in the same boat? My primary reason would be battery - the XS max was okay at first but is now at 88% health and isn’t cutting it. More base storage would be nice as would the cameras.

I’m thinking pay $70, replace the battery and ride it out till September 2021... any advice? Thanks!
Honestly I would ride it out a year. Touch ID is coming to the screen next year.

One thing to point out though is that the 12 PM has a brighter screen than your XS Max and yes it is noticeably better.

Reactions: catean

Larrupin

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
California
I had this same internal debate but my XS Max was starting to have issues with things like screen brightness, freezing and call quality (which was great until recently) so I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade given the ATT $700 credit towards the 12 Pro Max (and since my apple care on the XS Max ended several months ago). It definitely was not a no brainer upgrade decision, for me, though other than my phone is clearly starting to fail.

Love Divine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I had this same internal debate but my XS Max was starting to have issues with things like screen brightness, freezing and call quality (which was great until recently) so I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade given the ATT $700 credit towards the 12 Pro Max (and since my apple care on the XS Max ended several months ago). It definitely was not a no brainer upgrade decision, for me, though other than my phone is clearly starting to fail.

Apple only giving me 370 max for mine... I’m on Verizon.

Philthy84

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I wasn’t planning on upgrading this year but after reading/watching more reviews about the 12 Pro Max I bite the bullet. My XS Max is still running strong but the biggest reason for me to upgrade is the Qualcomm modem as others have pointed out and improved battery life.

Reactions: cableguy84

KC2370

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
I am going from the XS Max to the 12 Pro Max. I received a replacement phone a few months ago since mine had water damage. I have had a lot of issues with the replacement, therefore I am upgrading.

Nikefn2

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I opted to upgrade to the 12 Pro Max for 3 reasons: Slightly bigger screen, better camera, and better battery.

Honestly, iOS 14 is a killer for my XS Max battery, so that was probably the leading factor.

Reactions: blairh

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I’m waiting another year. The thing I desire most from the 12 series is the Qualcomm 4G/5G modem, but with COVID and all, it’s just not worth it. My XS Max still runs like new besides battery life, which is still not bad either. It just feels like a waste for me to upgrade this year. I’m looking forward to next year’s phones for the the rumored LTPO + ProMotion display and the X60 modem which should use less battery for 5G. Hopefully battery life will be improved too.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Yes for sure.

Depends on where you live, mine is great, no drops and excellent reception. Better than my 7 for sure which gave me no problems. I would be leaning more towards your carrier rather than the phone.

Deeps

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Nottingham, UK
Depends on where you live, mine is great, no drops and excellent reception. Better than my 7 for sure which gave me no problems. I would be leaning more towards your carrier rather than the phone.
I'm in the UK. I used to have a 7+ which didn't ever drop and had great reception.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004

There’s other things I like about the 12 max aside from the battery which makes upgrading from my xs max worth it. Like wide angle camera, battery, modem. Screen brightness, faster lte, bigger screen are nice features as well. Notice I didn’t say 5g lol

Reactions: larzy

Cybertox

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Switzerland
I am upgrading from my current phone which is an iPhone Xs Max (256 GBs) to an iPhone 12 Pro Max (same capacity). Reason being mainly the battery as my launch Xs Max is at 87% and the new cameras. However, I dont feel Like I need an upgrade, I needed more of a new toy, lets put it that way.

Reactions: Philthy84

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Yep. 11/11 pro is the only iPhone I have ever skipped. Just got bored of the same design for 6 years. So glad they have changed the design this year and had to jump on it. My battery still at 94% after 2 years which I am pretty impressed by actually.

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2010
I was all set to upgrade from the XsMax to the 12Pro Max until I checked out the 12Pro. I honestly like the design if the XsMax better. I prefer the rounded sides Over the squared ones. I also think the glossy glass is much more attractive than the matt/frosted on the back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.