Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
It is worth it for due to the Qualcomm modem. My sister is also on Verizon and lives 20 minutes away from me and have a better connection on her android phone than I do. I’ve been saving since September 2019, for the 12 Pro Max so I already had the money since September 2020. I’m paying outright and if I upgrade next year, I’ll just sell my 12 Pro Max and upgrade to the 2021 Pro Max.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I've been trying out the iPhone 12 for the past few weeks as I wait for the 12 Pro Max. Coming from an 11 PM, I thought it would be hard to adjust to the smaller screen but it's been fine. What I do miss is the camera! And, the iPhone 12 camera seems to be better at just every day stuff than the 11PM, so I can only imagine the 12PM will be even better. Can't wait!

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
I've been trying out the iPhone 12 for the past few weeks as I wait for the 12 Pro Max. Coming from an 11 PM, I thought it would be hard to adjust to the smaller screen but it's been fine. What I do miss is the camera! And, the iPhone 12 camera seems to be better at just every day stuff than the 11PM, so I can only imagine the 12PM will be even better. Can't wait!
Do you notice the drop in screen brightness?

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Anyone else in the same boat? My primary reason would be battery - the XS max was okay at first but is now at 88% health and isn’t cutting it. More base storage would be nice as would the cameras.

I’m thinking pay $70, replace the battery and ride it out till September 2021... any advice? Thanks!
I'm in the same situation. I think it is worth it. But remember that you can ALWAYS say there are some features I will wait for next year. For whats its worth, I ordered the Pro Max and will be receiving it this Friday.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I upgraded from an XS, and glad I did. 5G is not where it should be yet, but this phone has enough going for it that you can keep it for 2-3 years and it should still run like new.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
It is worth it for due to the Qualcomm modem. My sister is also on Verizon and lives 20 minutes away from me and have a better connection on her android phone than I do. I’ve been saving since September 2019, for the 12 Pro Max so I already had the money since September 2020. I’m paying outright and if I upgrade next year, I’ll just sell my 12 Pro Max and upgrade to the 2021 Pro Max.
I bet that’s the difference. The modem.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Anyone else in the same boat? My primary reason would be battery - the XS max was okay at first but is now at 88% health and isn’t cutting it. More base storage would be nice as would the cameras.

I’m thinking pay $70, replace the battery and ride it out till September 2021... any advice? Thanks!
I’m upgrading an 11 pro max to the 12 pro max. My primary reason is the camera. To me that is the most important part of the iPhone since I’m a photographer. My battery health right at a year so far is 95%. I’m giving this 11 Pro Max to a family member and taking the 12 pro max for myself.

if your not a photographer then the upgrade may not benefit you as much. I think the battery life (hourly duration) will be a little less than the 11 pro max. I’d have to see if I can find the mAh of each battery to compare. I have external battery packs with me in a small shoulder bag along with additional iPhone cases.

so, it may be a tossup for you. Having three cameras instead of two is a better deal. I had the 10s max and although the cameras were good, the 11 pro max camera is better and the 12 pro max camera is better still. I don’t remember the battery health of the 10s max when I traded it in for the 11 pro max.

then there is 5G and faster chipset, more RAM and newer tech to add to your decision making. I usually upgrade every year for the camera improvements.

egraphixstudios

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
My XS max at 94% after 2 years. When I purchased the xs max i was planning to use it for 3-4 years. But obviously that plan gone down the drain after Apple annoucned larger size and IP4 square edge design.

I've gone for the pro max in white 512gb, xs max will go to mrs - and I will sell her IP8 plus.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I’m going from XS Max 256gb to 12 Pro Max 256gb. Seems like a good upgrade, although not “necessary”, I feel like there is enough features to justify getting it. I bought both phones outright and still plan on keeping the XS Max.

KrazyBear15

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
South Dakota
I'm in the same boat and holding off until the 12S PM next year. LTPO 120 hz screen, touch ID power button, camera bump... Plus I'm working from home full time, battery life is not an issue while always at home. With COVID cases raging there is no where to go and use that fancy new camera or 5G for quite awhile it seems. Thought I would for sure go for the 2020 iPhones but it's not necessary.

PS - Change your wallpaper often and maybe a case to keep things fresh :cool: Is it September 2021 yet? Cheers and be well everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: mommybetts79

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I had a XS Max, sold it a few days ago. I bought the 11 Pro Max too, but sold it in June as I wasn't really happy with a lot of little bugs, and that was after a replacement. Picking up the 12 pro max on Saturday morning, but I'm slightly concerned with everyone saying it feels a lot bigger. I'll have to make my own determination I guess.

Xs Max may have been my favourite iPhone, I really enjoyed having it. But I'm ready for the 12!

mquinn

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Normal, IL
I’m going from XS Max 256gb to 12 Pro Max 256gb. Seems like a good upgrade, although not “necessary”, I feel like there is enough features to justify getting it. I bought both phones outright and still plan on keeping the XS Max.
Same. I’ve liked my XS Max but I’m ready as the battery is down to 85%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.