Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forestinjersey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Hey all, I am receiving a XS Max from a friend who is upgrading, how's the device holding up for current users?

Thanks
Forest

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
The Intel modem sucks. My WiFi is always disconnecting and connecting at home. Even on Verizon which is strong in my area, I still get dropped calls and no service from time to time. The battery is shot at 92% capacity after 20 months. I have to charge twice a day now. At work all I do is either talk for a few hours or listen to music for 6 hours before getting home. I’m upgrading to the 12 Pro Max this morning. If the XS Max had a better battery and the Qualcomm modem, I would’ve kept using it for another year or two.

LouE37

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I have zero issues with mine and handing it to the wife while i pickup an upgrade. Battery is at 91% for performance and seems to be working as expected.

Reactions: forestinjersey

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Hey all, I am receiving a XS Max from a friend who is upgrading, how's the device holding up for current users?

Thanks
Forest
Personally it's good. I updated to 14.2 yesterday with no problems right now. My past 2 iPhones, battery bulged just short of 2 years right before upgrading. Battery health remains at "93%"

In the back of my mind, I almost hate to upgrade to be honest. Waiting for Pro Max for the camera improvements, other features.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I love my XS Max, the Intel modem is awesome lol. Works great. Wasn't like that at first, had to restart my phone daily because of connectivity issues, as noted above. But I do update all of my hardware, including the gateway from my isp. The battery after 10 months is fantastic and still 100%, averaging about 12 hours of SOT daily for the last few weeks. I do have to wear a safety pin at my pocket on my pajama pants to keep my phone from falling out every time I move. Its a bit large.

lexikon318

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
Mine was just fine for me... I moved on to a 12 because I decided I was ready for a smaller phone for a change. My lucky son got the XS Max ha

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
The Intel modem sucks. My WiFi is always disconnecting and connecting at home. Even on Verizon which is strong in my area, I still get dropped calls and no service from time to time. The battery is shot at 92% capacity after 20 months. I have to charge twice a day now. At work all I do is either talk for a few hours or listen to music for 6 hours before getting home. I’m upgrading to the 12 Pro Max this morning. If the XS Max had a better battery and the Qualcomm modem, I would’ve kept using it for another year or two.
battery is "shot" at 92% after almost 2 years?

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
It is holding up great, IOS 14, however, has reduced the battery life. Only getting 5.5 hours of screen on time and my battery health is at 100%.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Still good. Better health at 92% but oleophobic coating wearing off right where I expected. I was going to order that liquid replacement but I figured why dine in getting a new phone.

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I used mine as a primary phone in year 1 and a work phone in year 2.

Battery 94% and looks new. I’d day holding up well but I’m not too rough on my phones but don’t baby them either.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I agree, its not debilitating for me but I do agree it could be better. I don't experience drop calls (Socal) but sometimes the signal is poor. But anyway, the battery, you should probably get it changed if that matters to you. I noticed the battery is poor with my 87% decline but when I got the phone the first year battery was great!

Camera is still good. Day time pics are impressive, night time is its Achilles heel. The external speakers are also great for streaming. The OLED is beautiful.

IMHO its a good upgrade if you are on an earlier iPhone x or earlier iPhone. Just upgrade the battery. My $0.02.

P-Wunder

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2020
Mine has been great! I had no plans to update until Verizon announced a wider 5G rollout. I am upgrading, but have no complaints about my XS Max.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Mine is still running like it was on day one. My main qualm is that the battery life is not like it used to be, even with 93% capacity left. Apple devices always seem to have great battery life the first year and get worse the second. Could be iOS 13 and 14 though.

It’s hard to know if I’m having problems with the modem, but there is one frequent location where I’m at where I get 1-2 bars, it repeatedly switches back and forth from LTE to HSPA+, and often won’t load anything, despite having those 1-2 bars. I don’t know if that’s just the cell tower/network in that location since this is the only location I have a noticeable problem, but the improved Qualcomm modem in the 12 series for LTE and the addition of 5G is my biggest temptation for an upgrade.

I don’t expect this device to slow down or face any performance degradation for at least 2 more years though. It’s a great device, and it’s not much different from the 11 or 12 series. You should enjoy it.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yeah because I have to charge twice within a 9 hour work day, and all I do is talk for 2 hours and listen to Apple Music the last 6. All of my music is downloaded on my device.
I agree with her sentiment. 92% doesnt seem a lot but it really drains the battery. I charge 3x and I'm down to 87% lol. Looking forward to my 12 pro max upgrade.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Speed is still amazing but I just ordered a 12 Pro Max because I want a better camera. My sister has the iPhone 11 and I already found her pictures a lot better. Also my battery has been degrading a lot.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I agree, its not debilitating for me but I do agree it could be better. I don't experience drop calls (Socal) but sometimes the signal is poor. But anyway, the battery, you should probably get it changed if that matters to you. I noticed the battery is poor with my 87% decline but when I got the phone the first year battery was great!

Camera is still good. Day time pics are impressive, night time is its Achilles heel. The external speakers are also great for streaming. The OLED is beautiful.

IMHO its a good upgrade if you are on an earlier iPhone x or earlier iPhone. Just upgrade the battery. My $0.02.

I was going to do that until the 12 Pro Max was announced and then I decided to upgrade. I have a 12 Pro Max Pacific Blue coming next Friday. I’m going to keep my jailbroken XS Max as a backup phone.

Reactions: 1rottenapple

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
Yeah because I have to charge twice within a 9 hour work day, and all I do is talk for 2 hours and listen to Apple Music the last 6. All of my music is downloaded on my device.
Strange. My launch day XS Max has a battery health of 92% and it still lasts all day with heavy use including talking for longer than 2hrs/day. Something must be up.

sumiregusa

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Came here to say exactly this. Aesthetically it might still be my favorite iPhone but I am willing to let the XS Max retire and be used for other things now that I own it outright. Looking forward to my 12 Pro Max at launch!

mquinn

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Normal, IL
My battery is down to 86% but I was charging on a wireless charger for a while, all day taking it off and putting back on. I suspect that didn’t help. After I quit that it’s held steady.
I also have issues with my wifi but so does my wife on her 11 so it’s probably not the phone. But it’s only our phones that have issues. So who knows.
But I’m ready for an upgrade! 12 pro max coming next week!

SnyG

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2017
Liverpool, UK
It's been the best iPhone I've ever had, got it on launch day and battery's down to 89% which you do notice a bit, but it's held up so well. Will be sad to see it go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.