Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
My battery is 96% and I get great battery life. Not a fan of the Intel modem, however.

I've also had bluetooth issues since the beginning, but I think it's just my phone. AirPods refuse to connect unless you go to Bluetooth settings and press "Connect" while the AirPod case is open. Every.Single.Time. Same for AirDrop... will not show up in AirDrop until I go to the Bluetooth settings and wait there. Apple Watch is disconnected much of the time, even 1-3 feet away with the red "X" iPhone icon often. Pause AirPods for more than 30 seconds, disconnected, have to reconnect again from Bluetooth screen.

I probably should have swapped it out ages ago, but I figured it's like teaching your dog a trick -- the second I go to the Apple Store to demonstrate the trick, it won't do what it always does at home. :rolleyes:

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Speed is still amazing but I just ordered a 12 Pro Max because I want a better camera. My sister has the iPhone 11 and I already found her pictures a lot better. Also my battery has been degrading a lot.
I know its amazing how the 2017 and 2018 processors are holding. They are still blazing fast and keep up. They don't feel old at all. Apps still launch quickly with no lag.

Reactions: iObama

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
The intel modem is rubbish, my iphone 7 had a quicker one!

Other then that the screen estate and size is awesome
Tell that to my connection ?
8EAA956C-E0EB-4671-A83C-25EBDC6BE454.png

catchaj19

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2018
Upstate NY
The Intel modem sucks. My WiFi is always disconnecting and connecting at home. Even on Verizon which is strong in my area, I still get dropped calls and no service from time to time. The battery is shot at 92% capacity after 20 months. I have to charge twice a day now. At work all I do is either talk for a few hours or listen to music for 6 hours before getting home. I’m upgrading to the 12 Pro Max this morning. If the XS Max had a better battery and the Qualcomm modem, I would’ve kept using it for another year or two.
This. ???

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Tell that to my connection ? View attachment 1456083
its not the speed that is the problem, its the ability of the phone to pick up cell signal. its not the best. Its very much agreed the intel modems are subpar compared to Qualcomm. When I'm traveling people who have android or older iPhones can pick up signal or have 3 bars or more while my phone is stuck at no signal or 1 bar with slowwwwww barely working internet when we are in the same spot. It happens too often when I travel that its noticeable. Where I live and go in my city, it's totally fine, speeds are great.

Reactions: xeux

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I only posted the screen because people were saying how bad the WiFi was. Honestly I have had great cell service with my XSM, better than my 7 if I’m honest. Both in and out of the city.. maybe talk to your carrier? It’s been good to me, I really have no complaints, other than my pj pockets are too small.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Oh got it. No wifi is great! Just annoying on certain conditions. I felt I was too negative looking back on my XS post. Its actually the first phone in 7 years I held on to the longest. I love the XS max day to day, its a great phone so I don't mean to be negative. Its a good upgrade for many people. I'm giving mine to my wife who has sweaty palms Touch ID rejects her prints like 90% of the time. Its actually pretty funny seeing her unlock her 8 plus because its a ritual to get her thumb ready for unlocking lol Face ID will help her so much haha

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
The Intel modem sucks. My WiFi is always disconnecting and connecting at home. Even on Verizon which is strong in my area, I still get dropped calls and no service from time to time. The battery is shot at 92% capacity after 20 months. I have to charge twice a day now. At work all I do is either talk for a few hours or listen to music for 6 hours before getting home. I’m upgrading to the 12 Pro Max this morning. If the XS Max had a better battery and the Qualcomm modem, I would’ve kept using it for another year or two.

I wouldn't take much of this to heart. You have mentioned multiple signal issues with different phones in your area. All with carriers that are known to suck. Battery is shot at 92%? Mine is also 92% after 2 years, no issues at all. Full day usage without a problem. It's all based on how you use your device.

Of course your new phone will "appear" better. You're switching to Verizon. Lol.

XS Max here, no issues. Keeping it another year. Not sold on "5G" and not game for spending 1400 for a phone or payments. Happy having no debt :)

Reactions: Ahiqar

seattlecard

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Still a great phone... returned the 12 pro max and will keep the xs max until the 13.

One thing I love about the XS max is that it's not as freakin HEAVY as the newer iphones!

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I wouldn't take much of this to heart. You have mentioned multiple signal issues with different phones in your area. All with carriers that are known to suck. Battery is shot at 92%? Mine is also 92% after 2 years, no issues at all. Full day usage without a problem. It's all based on how you use your device.

Of course your new phone will "appear" better. You're switching to Verizon. Lol.

XS Max here, no issues. Keeping it another year. Not sold on "5G" and not game for spending 1400 for a phone or payments. Happy having no debt :)

I’ve been with Verizon since August 2020, and their service has been superb. It works everywhere I go and no dropped signals. 5G and UWB (whenever I’m in Baltimore) has been great as well. My bill is just a teeny bit more than T-Mobile, but it’s worth the cost. I paid outright for my 12 Pro Max (less than $1300), so no device payments here. I haven’t had any battery issues (listen to music 8 hours a day or talk on the phone for 6 of those 8 hours) and my phone is lasting me throughout the day with 30-40% by 10pm. I don’t use my phone any differently than I did the XS Max. I’m also going to hold onto my device for another year and upgrade to the 2022 Pro Max version. The color, size and weight of the device is perfect even in a case. All in all, I made the right choice for ME in upgrading to the 12 Pro Max.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Mine has started to have battery issues, and I'm not sure why. It has dropped 7% of its health in 1.5 months and really confused. This was a replacement iPhone that I got from apple in October 2020.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 5.30.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 5.30.58 PM.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 59

Flint456

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2019
Planet Earth
Mines is still working like a champ. I don’t see no reason to upgrade as the iPhones after the XS had incremental upgrades in my opinion. The next upgrade has to be worth while for me to move on from the XS Max.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Seriously my XS Max perform as good as when I got it almost 3 years ago. Performance is still great and my battery health is at 96% so I still have good battery life as well. Plus I like the all glass rounded design of this phone. It looks pretty and its confortable to hold (I use it naked).

I also don't have any reason to upgrade and this phone will be the one I'll use for the longest time since I bought smartphones. My longest one before was the 3GS that I hold for 2 years and 10 months but this one I can easily still use it for another year or 2 depending if the new iOS versions will still perform well on it.

Reactions: Flint456
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.