Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thogs_cave

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
State of Confusion
Re: Migration to Xserve is a reality, not a rumor.

Originally posted by MacRAND
4. VT considered Dell, IBM and other off-the-shelf computers, but selected the new Apple G5 with dual IBM server chips.

Just one small anal-retentive nit to pick - the G5 is not a server chip, it's a workstation/deskop chip. There are some decided differences between it and the POWER CPU's that it is based on.

kingicon1

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
I go to a state school myself.. use to work for the IT department as well..

I know here, they cant sell old equipment.. not quite sure why, but they just cant.. I think that might have something more to do with there dealings with IBM, but they do have alot of old stuff just laying around(including a older mainframe).

Also, Within the past few years they started the laptop program and every student gets a IBM Thinkpad. The only computer labs on campus were/are the mac labs for the art and design students. Starting last year they started giving iBooks to the art students which makes me wonder if the labs will even stick around.

I realize that VT is a larger school, but if they do replace the G5's with xserver's, it might be alittle difficult getting rid of the old towers.. unless they were going back to apple.

Also, I dont quite remember where the RAM came from, but it was installed by workers when they were setting up the cluster. If the RAM came from Apple, you would think it was pre-installed. If the towers did go back to Apple, I would think that VT would just keep the RAM around.

spankalee

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Re: Will not work, unfortunately

Originally posted by Why Not
As they have said in many places, the racks are indeed completely custom. They are not standard width from what I can see, as they sport three G5s side-by-side, which would equate to more than 24 inches, whereas standard racks are 19 inches wide.

Are you sure they're not 19" racks? From all the photos I've seen it looks like 3 G5s only fit by sitting behind the rails. Three G5s would be 24.3 inches wide, and the racks sure look like 19" based on how far the machines go past the rack rails.

In fact I've always wondered why they used standard racks if the machines were too wide; it seemed like a waste of money. But if they're going to replace the PowerMacs with XServes it makes sense.

Yawray

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2004
chicago
from what i read ... [i guess you wont beleive me without the URL but here it goes]

1. VT saved all the boxes with keyboards and mice for the g5's used in the cluster, for the eventual sales of said g5's to the student population at a discount

2. VT is set to update the cluster with totally new hardware/architecture in 2006.

3. VT could possibly phase in xServe dualies like 100 a week or so if they wanted too ... and save space and start getting ready for phase 2 of the supercomputer ...

4. and keep the speeds essentially the same, or for a little spike there phase out the g5 towers over time as students buy them. or with Xgrid possibly keep them connected as remote nodes across the campus.

5. by that time the rumor mill will be rife with new talk of solidstate hard drives and 3ghz system busses and dual-core 6ghz processors with 8mb of level1 cache, quad-interger units and 8altivec registers per core ... and if apple doesnt come out with that they are doomed as usual. ;)

macshark

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
Re: Re: Migration to Xserve is a reality, not a rumor.

Originally posted by thogs_cave
Just one small anal-retentive nit to pick - the G5 is not a server chip, it's a workstation/deskop chip. There are some decided differences between it and the POWER CPU's that it is based on.

G5 is a server chip. PPC970 was originally exclusively targeted at IBM's low-end servers and very high end embedded applications until about a few years back when Apple made a deal IBM to secure the supply of this chip for Macs add AltiVec.

Yes, the G5 does not have multiple processor cores like the Power4, and the L2 cache is not nearly as big. Power4 was a "cost is no object" product targeted at IBM's very high end servers. PPC970 can be regarded as a integrated, cost reduced re-incarnation of Power4 targeted at high volume applications.

G5 has a very high bandwidth, scalable bus and very good support for multiprocessing. I don't know how one can classify this processor as "not a server chip".

macshark

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
Re: Re: Xserve G5s to Replace PowerMacs in 'Big Mac'?

Originally posted by HumanJHawkins
Is 1100 Dual 2.0 G5s really a significant figure? I mean, it would be a lot of Macs if they were in my living room, but I doubt they would be enough to effect worldwide (or even US) prices...

Anyone know how many dual 2.0s Apple sells per week?

The rumor is that Apple sold more than 150,000 dual 2G G5 PowerMacs so far. Maybe tomorrow, at the quarter-end conference call, someone from Apple can give us some actual numbers. Historically, they have given total PowerMac sales per quarter but they have refused to break down the sales data in terms of frequency or ASP.

crkfc

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2003
nah

i doubt they would rip apart their current cluster just to replace it with xserves... i do believe that they will use xserves in their next super computer, which they have already announced is in the planning stages. they are building an even larger building for it already, i hear. this rumor really doesnt sound true at all... but if it is, that's cool.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
standard 25" racks

Originally posted by spankalee
Are you sure they're not 19" racks? From all the photos I've seen it looks like 3 G5s only fit by sitting behind the rails. Three G5s would be 24.3 inches wide, and the racks sure look like 19" based on how far the machines go past the rack rails.

In fact I've always wondered why they used standard racks if the machines were too wide; it seemed like a waste of money. But if they're going to replace the PowerMacs with XServes it makes sense.

The racks are standard 25" wide racks, with outside dimensions of 29" by 38.2". Look at the following picture, and notice that the racks are quite a bit wider than the 24" floor tiles:

IMG_0819.JPG

If you look at other photos at http://don.cc.vt.edu/, you'll notice that the left edge of the first of these racks is lined up with a tile joint.

(BTW, 19" racks are usually 24" wide on the outside, and line up nicely with the floor tiles.)

A filler panel could be used to narrow the 24" rack to hold 19" equipment.

thogs_cave

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
State of Confusion
Re: Re: Re: Migration to Xserve is a reality, not a rumor.

Originally posted by macshark
G5 has a very high bandwidth, scalable bus and very good support for multiprocessing. I don't know how one can classify this processor as "not a server chip".

Look, don't get me wrong - it's a fine chip, and I love my Dual 2.0. (Well, in a platonic way.) But, just like Sun's UltraSPARC-IIIi .vs. the UltraSPARC-III, there is a target market intended. Features like sleep and bus slewing are good for desktops, but not necessary (or desired) in a hard-working server. I'm probably getting old and crusty, but to me a RISC server needs whopping amounts of cache fer starters...

Of course, I wouldn't turn down (and will probably soon be ordering) a G5 XServe. But to me it's a different beast then a large IBM or Sun system.

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
Re: Re: Re: Re: Migration to Xserve is a reality, not a rumor.

Look, don't get me wrong - it's a fine chip, and I love my Dual 2.0. (Well, in a platonic way.) But, just like Sun's UltraSPARC-IIIi .vs. the UltraSPARC-III, there is a target market intended. Features like sleep and bus slewing are good for desktops, but not necessary (or desired) in a hard-working server. I'm probably getting old and crusty, but to me a RISC server needs whopping amounts of cache fer starters...

MacShark is closer to the truth than you think. IBM noted in their official press releases that the 970 was intended to be a low end server and workstation processor.
IBM wanted a Power[PC] that they could sell in the low-mid range server market. That market is eating away at the high margin servers in a big way.
There are far more people looking to buy a $5000 server than looking to buy a server with $5000 cpus in it.

fabsgwu

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Washington, DC
c'mon, obviously they should wait at least a little while untill the 90nm chips and higher clock speeds etc. The computer cluster can't taken down and set up over night.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Migration to Xserve

Originally posted by TomSmithMacEd
Why would they want to trade in for xserves? What is the purpose?
Isn't it obvious? Runs cooler, less power demand and saves space.
42 Xserve G5s @ 90nm to a 19" rack vs.
12 G5 towers @ 130nm to a 25" rack

and, although the Xserve chips are still clocked at 2.0, their newer design with help to move the whole cluster to ECC systems efficiency.

And instead of having to replace the old G5s "overnight", VT can take their time with incremental replacement. Plus, their G5 installation labor (except for Pizza & Cokes) has been "voluntary" and essentially free up until now.
Plus, the Xserves are reportedly already part of the original contract with Apple and come at no additional cost to VT.

ANSWER: Why not trade?
:cool:

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
IBM 970 PPP chip for G5 based on server chip design.

Exactly, but according to IBM's own descriptions, it is a "server chip" designed by IBM to be suitable for desktop computers like the G5 and for medium to low-end servers. Don't forget that it is 64-bit, which Apple has yet to take full advantage of.

In fact, the PPC 970 is having an unexpected economic impact on IBM's higher-end servers and much more expensive server chips, partly because of the amazing success of the Virginia Tech "Big Mac" cluster built from off-the-shelf parts (G5 computers) at a fraction of the cost of other less competitive supercomputers which are not rated as Number 3 in the world.

IBM's new baby "Blue Gene/L" computer reportedly uses Power4 processors that run at a clock speed between 1.3GHz to 1.7GHz, much lower than PPC 970 chips, but with superior marks for latiency and other hallmark "non-failure" factors important to servers as opposed to just PCs.
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-999873.html?tag=nl
http://archive.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/11/09/011109hnbluegene.xml
http://www.research.ibm.com/resources/news/20031114_bluegene.shtml

VT computer engineers say they selected the G5 not only because of price, but because the IBM PPC 970 CPU chip had more acceptable "server" design qualities (than the PC chips that they had been looking at) and they believed G5 chips would run effectively and efficiently in a cluster. Apparently, they were right.
:D

macshark

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Migration to Xserve is a reality, not a rumor.

Of course, I wouldn't turn down (and will probably soon be ordering) a G5 XServe. But to me it's a different beast then a large IBM or Sun system.

I guess one of the more interesting trends is that the concept of a "server" has changed quite a bit in the last 5-8 years. Until about 1997-1998, a "server" was typically a $20K+ computer that came in a 1/4 rack or larger enclosure. These "servers" had significantly different I/O systems than the average desktop workstation (wider, faster SCSI interfaces for disks, support for larger memory configurations, ECC, etc.), so even when they used processors similar to the desktop workstations (e.g. Sun Servers), the company that built the system could justify the increased price.

The computing model was based on SMP. Except for a very few high end machines from Cray & SGI that used scalable interconnects, the scale of the system was determined by how many processors you could put on a bus, bandwidth and electrical issues being the major constraints.

Also, most computer companies that built servers made sure they segmented the market and did not let their lower priced (lower margin) desktop workstation products eat into the sales of their higher priced (much higher margin) server products.

What happened starting from 1998 caused major changes to this situation:

1. Linux became a credible server operating system and managed to push basic x86 architectures into low-end and mid-range UNIX server applications at the expense of Sun, HP, etc.

2. Intel processors (PIII and P4) made tremendous performance gains and exceeded the previously top of the line solutions from Sun/HP/Compaq/IBM for small server performance.

3. During the Internet/Web craze, the need to build very large server farms very fast at a low cost lead to a number of companies that manufactured cheap 1U/2U servers that can be very efficiently stacked in racks and deliver exceptional price/performance for applications that can be mapped to a distributed compute environment.

As a result of these changes, there is a big shift in the industry to replace older, large, expensive SMP architectures with racks of inexpensive 1U/2U servers for many applications.

This forces even traditional server vendors like IBM to deal with the problem of delivering low cost, efficient, low priced servers to deal with the competition. Looks like Sun is pretty much going to go ahead with Opteron and IBM has developed the PPC970 for this application.

jdang

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
just by addings more Xserves doesnt mean they are going to take over number 2 and definitely not number 1 spots on the top 500 list. the more nodes you add, the smaller the performance boost. its hardly linear at all. more xserves would indeed help, but it think it would be foolish for them to get xserves right now. they should wait till the technology peaks right before the next top500 list comes out. this will give Vtech and apple the publicity that they need. Vtech has been dying to get into the top 30 research universities in the nation, and apple has been itching to get into the new enterprise market. it would be nice to see both of these happen.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Xserve G5 migration and replacement of G5 towers

Originally posted by jdang
just by adding more Xserves doesnt mean they are going to take over number 2 and definitely not number 1 spots on the top 500 list.
The apparent intent is not to ADD the G5 Xserves to the 1100 existing G5 Macs, or to challenge #2, but simply to incrementally replace the original G5 towers with G5 Xserves.
However, before taking 48 off-line, 48 Xserves could be installed in new racks and temporarily added to the system (1148) to make sure they run well before removing 48 old G5 towers (back to 1100).
:cool:

thogs_cave

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
State of Confusion
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Migration to Xserve is a reality, not a rumor.

Originally posted by macshark
As a result of these changes, there is a big shift in the industry to replace older, large, expensive SMP architectures with racks of inexpensive 1U/2U servers for many applications.

This forces even traditional server vendors like IBM to deal with the problem of delivering low cost, efficient, low priced servers to deal with the competition. Looks like Sun is pretty much going to go ahead with Opteron and IBM has developed the PPC970 for this application.

I think it's a pendulum shift. In other words, it'll swing back again, much like the "empower the user" psychosis in the mid 90's. PC's on every desktop, and decentralize *all * the computing resources. That is, until folks found out the support costs were a nightmare...

The 1U systems are neat, but they have their place and are not a panacea for all of computing - they are actually driving *up* the load on datacenter cooling and power consumption, and there are just some things that a whackin' big SMP does better.

As for Linux solutions - I've been noodling with it since Linus released the first kernel - I actually pooled all the money my wife and I had to get a 386SX/25 motherboard to build a system. Since then it's evolved into a pig. I'm working on implementing a SuSE-based IBM Opteron setup right now, and it's taking forever. Even the IBM guy I'm dealing with admits it's a step backwards.

In the end, you have to pick what works best for your application. For much of the stuff I work on, big iron is the *only* cost- and time-effective solution. The pendulum will continue to swing... :)

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by 3G4N
think secret has picked up sources on this too...

http://thinksecret.com/news/virginiatech2.html

\

I noticed this too.. they claim it's pretty much a done deal.
Frankly I'm completely shocked if it turns out to be true. I'd have to guess that Apple's going to make them cover any expenses that they don't make up after selling refubs.

I'm still taking a 'we'll see' stance on this one.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Re: Re: Migration to Xserve is a reality, not a rumor.

IBM seems to think it is a server chip seeing as they use 1.6ghz 970's in there eserver's

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Virginia Tech swaps G5 Macs for G5 Xserves

Originally posted by 3G4N
think secret has picked up sources on this too...
http://thinksecret.com/news/virginiatech2.html
\
Well, that's about as official without being official as it can get.
I wonder if the matching of clock speed at 2GHz between the original G5 PPC and the new G5 Xserves is a coincidence? More than one person has said that it is important in a cluster of this design that ALL the nodes be the same speed. How about "dual" configuration?

denjeff

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2004
a pen :)
would the shorter interconnections between the servers boost up the power? I am not into supercomputing, but I remember from class that if the wire is shorter, the communication is more efficient. the course was not about fiber networks, so I don't know if it's applicable to this... but there is a big difference between 1100 powermacs and 1100 xserves...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.