Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Originally posted by Mac89
Virginia Tech usually auctions its surplus property through the Commonwealth of Virginia's Dept. of General Serivces, Division Purchase and Supply. They have auctions about 10-11 times/yr. Anyone present may bid. State law may force VT to auction the machines. Only time will tell.

http://vbo.dgs.state.va.us/VBO/Docs/Auction_Bid_Schedule.asp
Why would VT get to keep the old G5 Macs if it is a 1:1 exchange with Apple?
VT gets the new G5 Xserves
Apple gets the old G5 towers in exchange
:cool:

sambo.

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
outback, far from the surf
whew......

at least they won't be gobbling up the entire production run of the G5 revision when it gets announced.
i think Apple would be keen to see the VT cluster take outright honours in the "Fastest Computer EVVARRRRR" stakes. :D

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
g4

why's everyone saying system-x is apple's first supercomputer? apple's had one since august of 99! want a supercomputer? buy a g4. not that a gflop is much anymore lol, but it was once. it even had freakin export restrictions. an apple supercomputer is nothing new. it's not a supercomputer anymore is it? :confused: if i were vt i wouldnt care about catching the earth simulator, because by the time they did, japan could have 1100 earth simulators in a cluster! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: what i'm waiting for is an ipod raid cluster! world's largest mp3 player, baby!

BeoVir

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
Detroit, MI
homerjward said:
why's everyone saying system-x is apple's first supercomputer? apple's had one since august of 99! want a supercomputer? buy a g4. not that a gflop is much anymore lol, but it was once. it even had freakin export restrictions. an apple supercomputer is nothing new. it's not a supercomputer anymore is it? :confused: if i were vt i wouldnt care about catching the earth simulator, because by the time they did, japan could have 1100 earth simulators in a cluster! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: what i'm waiting for is an ipod raid cluster! world's largest mp3 player, baby!

I am a small bit confused, what super computer from 99? :confused:

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
BeoVir said:
I am a small bit confused, what super computer from 99? :confused:

the original powermac g4s and cubes were advertised as the worlds first consumer supercomputer or something like that. the g4 that youre probably reading this on is, in fact, a supercomputer by the standard of 1 gigaflop = supercomputer. (that standard was made up like a decade ago)

TednDi

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2004
Earth
Industry often funds higher education

If apple is using Virginia Tech's sucess to test the supercomputer concept. Why wouldn't they give som R&D money to the university. As long as the code that gets written and tested gets back to apple eventually and the results of the efforts get published. Apple could get some tax breaks and publicity and R&D on the cheap. So, why wouldn't they get the first crack at the new hardware. Perhaps they have the 3ghz dualies who would tell? VT no, not if they wanted future funding and top secret technology. Apple, no not until they could boast of a big gain.

Makes sense to me. But, then again, I am sitting on the outside looking in?

http://www.cfr.vt.edu/

http://www.cfr.vt.edu/publicity/index.html

http://www.cfr.vt.edu/publicity/vtmagwinter03.html

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
chaos86 said:
the original powermac g4s and cubes were advertised as the worlds first consumer supercomputer or something like that. the g4 that youre probably reading this on is, in fact, a supercomputer by the standard of 1 gigaflop = supercomputer. (that standard was made up like a decade ago)

Yea, the deal was/is that computers fall under the designation of military ordinance (or something related) if they are fast enough. The idea is, we don't want to be selling F-16 or computers fast enough to help develop F-16s (or Nukes) to our enemies.
Prior to the release of the G4, the Government hadn't revised the definition of a "Supercomputer" for a long time. Supercomputers were regulated so they couldn't sold to any country that had arms restrictions in place. The old limit was 1GFlop. Since a G4 could sustain 1GFlop, it was a supercomputer according to the government. Not only could apple legally call it a supercomputer when it obviously wasn't, Apple was also not able to export the G4 to a number of countries.. I believe that included France for a period.
Congress revised the limit to, I believe, 50 GFlops.. which was fast for a single computer node back in 1999 or 2000 but it was still far from supercomputer power. It basically took all PCs out of the range of Supercomputer for a while.
Flash forward to today...
2 x 2.5 GHz G5s with two double precision floating point units per cpu. that is a theoretical max of 10 GFlops if you could push a FLOP through each cycle. Each chip also has Altivec which can process 4 32bit FLOPs at once. That's an additional theoretical max of 20 GFlops. You'd never see sustained rates this high.. but we could see a desktop machine within a couple years that was pushing 50 GFlops... maybe 2 dual core chips with altivec running at 4 GHz... with Altivec.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.