Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kent viggo

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2019
Sweden
^ that's weird the screen protector is quite a bit bigger than the screen but obviously still for the 6.1"

never seen that before

Its this one. Im very happy with it and I managed to put it on perfectly, but took it off on the top left corner to remove some dust and it didnt come back on properly, so I have to buy a new one. Ohh well.

Ok that was a digression now lets get back to the colors.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
You got used to it my man. To believe the dumb glue myth is to believe that only Apple uses glue that goes on yellow, and dries clear over time. Somehow every other cell manufacturer on earth has figured out how to use clear glue but Apple. Lol.

I got used to it so much it turned blue when compared it to the new iPhone I bought and new iPhone is yellow? Given the progression of yellow phones I go back to my original statement. How are screens not a solid yellow by now given how every phone I have had apparently gets yellower and yellower to where the previous yellow looks blue now.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

Its this one. Im very happy with it and I managed to put it on perfectly, but took it off on the top left corner to remove some dust and it didnt come back on properly, so I have to buy a new one. Ohh well.

Ok that was a digression now lets get back to the colors.

Do you think its ok to put screen protector on as soon as taking the paper adhesive off the phone? Or will it need a wipe down first?

I would love to not use a screen protector, but I think a ton of scratches since the last few iPhones have been so easily scratch prone on the screen would bother me. Still, if they prove to be 4x as durable and strong enough without a protector, maybe I'll do without it for once eventually...

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
I got used to it so much it turned blue when compared it to the new iPhone I bought and new iPhone is yellow? Given the progression of yellow phones I go back to my original statement. How are screens not a solid yellow by now given how every phone I have had apparently gets yellower and yellower to where the previous yellow looks blue now.

It's likely your yellow phones were't really this issue, and were the normal slight progression towards 6500k. Thats real. But that should have ended years ago.Each phone has been measured at like 6600k for awhile now, the good ones anyway.

If your phone "got better" over time, you either got used to it or didnt have this issue to begin with.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
On launch day yes some of the display phones will also be yellow. But they will be swapped almost instantly. And the point is that Apple will not have one of these defective phones on display very long. What does that tell you.

It tells me that either you believe in conspiracies or your local Apple store is pretty weird.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
It tells me that either you believe in conspiracies or your local Apple store is pretty weird.

Dude, prove it out then. Go to Apple on launch and record the serial numbers of the phones. Note any ones with overly yellow tint. Come back within a few days. All the yellow ones will be gone. 100%. I've seen this happen and even confirmed it with multiple Genius' over the years.

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
Y'all are at it again. What is it this year: glue did not dry fast enough...? But LOL, I'm sure I'll be checking this thread later once I open mine.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
It's likely your yellow phones were't really this issue, and were the normal slight progression towards 6500k. Thats real. But that should have ended years ago.Each phone has been measured at like 6600k for awhile now, the good ones anyway.

If your phone "got better" over time, you either got used to it or didnt have this issue to begin with.

And I recognize there will be defects, but if my yellow looks like what people are posting when they post their new iPhone that is yellow compared to their previous iPhone, is the issue overblown and what they have is what you're describing what I had is that progression to 6500K then?

Look if your display is defective, go right ahead and return it for a new one. But I am tired of the annual "yellowgate" threads. Happens every year and people need to once again calm the F down and stop going into mob mentality over this.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Y'all are at it again. What is it this year: glue did not dry fast enough...? But LOL, I'm sure I'll be checking this thread later once I open mine.

No, never been glue. This glue myth won't die lol. The glue thing was yellow spots on iphone 4. The glue thing was never this issue, an overall yellow tint.

Apple doesnt use yellow glue that dries clear while everyone else int he cell world has figured out how to use clear glue.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
And I recognize there will be defects, but if my yellow looks like what people are posting when they post their new iPhone that is yellow compared to their previous iPhone, is the issue overblown and what they have is what you're describing what I had is that progression to 6500K then?

Look if your display is defective, go right ahead and return it for a new one. But I am tired of the annual "yellowgate" threads. Happens every year and people need to once again calm the F down and stop going into mob mentality over this.

Cool we agree, there is variation, and you should return it.

The main comparison is the apple display phones, not previous phone. The display phone should be an exact reference/representation of what the current phone should look like right?

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Apple doesnt make the screens. I believe this year they switched from Samsung to BOE for their OLED displays. So if there is a widespread yellow shift in white point balance it will be due to the way BOE makes their panels.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Dude, prove it out then. Go to Apple on launch and record the serial numbers of the phones. Note any ones with overly yellow tint. Come back within a few days. All the yellow ones will be gone. 100%. I've seen this happen and even confirmed it with multiple Genius' over the years.

"Dude", I have nothing to prove to anyone.

Personally I think it's time you get a better hobby, but if you have evidence of wrongdoing you should bring it to the MacRumours guys so that they can write an article about it and stop this alleged practice.

Reactions: Bryan Bowler

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The 'good' thing for me getting a subsidized device, is I have to go the Apple route if I do a swap haha

Carriers dont easily take returns, hard to reset the payment plan, etc etc.

Always chaps my butt a bit paying $800 only to get a 'service phone' with mismatched serials after a few days or weeks

Fingers crossed I get a good unit. And will try to not be too picky

I wanna see more pics though! I have nothing else to do while waiting on UPS guy

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Apple doesnt make the screens. I believe this year they switched from Samsung to BOE for their OLED displays. So if there is a widespread yellow shift in white point balance it will be due to the way BOE makes their panels.

BOE was ruled out.

its believed LG is both 6.1 and Samsung is 5.4/6.7

but I would like more confirmation. As I think the rumor was originally the opposite: that all are Samsung, and that the 6.1" are Samsung and the mini and max are LG.

who knows

I dont have as big a stigma with LG anymore, after really loving the crap out of my LG OLED tv's.

Different than mobile OLED, granted. but LG can make good stuff. and in my experience, what I believe to be LG in LCD iPhones I think is generally brighter more vibrant and whiter than the counterparts.

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
On launch day yes some of the display phones will also be yellow. But they will be swapped almost instantly. And the point is that Apple will not have one of these defective phones on display very long. What does that tell you.
It tells me you were the wrong person to make this thread.

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
When comparing a iPhone 12 with my XS Max straight on the 12 is definitely warmer (more yellow) but only by a very small amount. However, when viewing at just a slight angle the 12 is much much much more yellow. The phone is for my dad and I know he won't care but if you are someone that is picky about their screen I could see this being a problem. I'm curious how the Samsung produced screens in the Pro Max will compare.

• Sad
Reactions: decypher44

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
funny thing is both of you are making my point. Since iPhones aren’t dark piss yellow, it really is only some of the phones that have this issue. So if you have it, return the phone.
Or it's not an issue at all and you telling people to return their phones should probably be considered spam.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I really hope with tech like micro LED we have binary consistency: its perfect and works or it doesn't and won't even power up.

Seems long overdue for screen tech, like most/all other components.

Same with battery tech, actually and wear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.