Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
My 15 pro max isn’t as bright as 14 pro max, even with the same screens they are not the same, also 15 pro max is more yellow tinted

Reactions: Hooterville

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I am pretty curious about the 15 pro and pro max color temperatures
I have a 14 Pro Max and a 15 Pro. They both have white, even screens. The 15 Pro is slightly brighter. Compared side by side, the 14 Pro Max screen has a slightly bluer white screen. The white screen on the 15 Pro looks a little more solid if that makes any sense. I don't have True Tone or auto brightness on either phone.

Reactions: Fred Zed

OUsooner08

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
It didn’t impact The 14? LOL

I can confirm that The 15 series has very good displays. Some are warmer, some cooler, but they are even, finally!
I'm an every year upgrader as is my wife, and several of my friends, and I have yet to see the screen issue on any of our phones.

skrungemaster

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2020
As OLEDs age, they shift toward cooler, blue colors. I guarantee next year we’ll see people posting about how their 16 Pro Max is warmer than their 15.

Reactions: klasma

OUsooner08

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
As OLEDs age, they shift toward cooler, blue colors. I guarantee next year we’ll see people posting about how their 16 Pro Max is warmer than their 15.
The lifespan is about 30,000 hours, so no you won't see a shift in 1 year. With 6 hours a day of onscreen time that's still 13.5 years. You're not seeing a shift in just 1 year.

zizouomar

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2023
just found this thread and I've got the issue with a brand new old stock iPhone 13 Mini.
Compared to my 12 Pro, it's dim and yellow it's just uncomfortable to use. Just came back from the Apple Store and the dudes at the genius bar confirmed the difference and even unboxed another 13 Mini to compare its display, it was way brighter and pure white than mine. They told me they can repair its screen but only once, as it is basically screen lottery. Here is the comparison. 13 Mini on the left, 12 Pro on the right. Night shift and true tone off on both phones.
tempImagesIH9Nq.jpg

Reactions: Heat_Fan89

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
That's a bad screen for sure. I was lucky to get a new Mini 13 from an Apple Store right before it was discontinued and it has a perfect white, even screen. Apple should replace yours if it was purchased from Apple, otherwise I guess your only choice is a screen replacement and hope for the best. Good luck!

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
just found this thread and I've got the issue with a brand new old stock iPhone 13 Mini.
Compared to my 12 Pro, it's dim and yellow it's just uncomfortable to use. Just came back from the Apple Store and the dudes at the genius bar confirmed the difference and even unboxed another 13 Mini to compare its display, it was way brighter and pure white than mine. They told me they can repair its screen but only once, as it is basically screen lottery. Here is the comparison. 13 Mini on the left, 12 Pro on the right. Night shift and true tone off on both phones.
View attachment 2300803
I just purchased and received today an iPhone 13 from Best Buy and I noticed my screen has a warm tint to it, although nowhere as bad as the one on the left. So I added a little bit of blue (color filter) to the white.

So I went off the OG posters recommendation and turned off the color filter. That made the screen a little brighter but brought back the slightly warm look to the screen. I turned off True Tone and set the brightness to 100% and the screen looks more like the one on the right. I have a 6th and 9th gen iPad's with similar displays as my iPhone 13.

OUsooner08

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
Why is this even a thread much less still going? If the screen is bad out of the box it's a manufacturing defect and you exchange it for a new one.

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Reports are already surfacing of a classic annual tradition in iPhone land - the dumping of yellow tinted reject screens on unsuspecting consumers.

This happens literally every year, since the iPhone 3G. Every. Year. without fail. Same tint. Same excuses from Apple apologists.

The fact is, not all iPhone 12 screens will be the same tint. Some will be more yellow/worse than others.

Weather or not you believe, as I do, that Apple intentionally relaxes tolerances to maximize yield for launch, here is what you can do:

The Test

The test is to open the Settings screen, with True Tone off, and dark mode off, 75% brightness. Compare to another phone on exact same settings. Which one is more yellow?

What to compare to

It probably already looks different than your old phone, which is why you are here. Something seems "off" about the new display. Compare to old phone. Yellow? Proceed to next step.

Compare to an Apple Display Phone

Use the same test criteria to compare to an Apple display phone. It either matches or it doesn't. If it doesn't, RETURN THE PHONE IMMEDIATELY.

Even the most blind Apple fanboi can admit - if it doesn't match the display phone, it must be defective.

Only you can stop Apple from dumping low grade panels on the masses.

Thank you.

EDIT TO ADD:

Examples of good, non tinted screens have been showing up in the thread. Here is one that was recently posted:
View attachment 1678642

All of these are iPhone 12's, and one of them has a screen that is displaying content as it should. This is not an intentional warming, a move to 6500k white point, glue, or any other myth. This is a physical yellow, green, or pink tint layer that distorts all colors, washes out text, reduces contrast, and looks terrible.

Also, don't post the color filters hack, it doesn't actually work. It puts a layer of color between you and the screen, reducing brightness, and distorting other colors. You shouldn't have to solve for a yellow tint, so just take the phone back - reject it.

Finally, Apple isn't calibrating these screens, the suppliers are. Apple tells the suppliers the tolerance range it will accept. Those seem to be extra loose this year. So send a message that you want good QC by sending your phone back.
No 15 P/PM for kre62?

• Haha
Reactions: OUsooner08

OUsooner08

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
No 15 P/PM for kre62?
Overdramatic much?!

Apples dumping low grade panels on unsuspecting consumers.... 🤣

1) Manufacturing defects do happen, there's literally a warranty process for manufacturing issues.

2) Despite quality controls bad products do get out to customers. When I was a QA manager I could attest to this. It's cost prohibitive to design controls that catch every single defect. Again see point 1.

3) I've had literally every single iPhone and I work in a facility that refurbs tech products. I the thousands of devices I personally look at every single year I can honestly say I've very rarely have seen this issue, and when we do it goes back for a new screen. The incident rate of this is well within acceptable quality assurance standards.

This should be retitled to "anti-Apple consumers who knows ZERO about manufacturing once again take a swipe at Apple for dumb reasons."

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I decided to order a Starlight iPhone 13 and I can immediately tell a difference in the screen between the iPhone 13 (blue) I purchased from BB and the Starlight I ordered from Apple. The Starlight iPhone has a brighter screen and looked less warm even with True Tone enabled. I disabled True Tone and the panel had a much cooler tint to it and is a brighter panel vs the phone I got from BB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.