Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I’m thinking of taking mine to the closest Best Buy since they work with apple, and have my screen replaced, since my 14 day return period is up. Has anyone done screen replacements with Best Buy?
I don’t think anybody has parts for these yet. Your best bet is to have them replace the whole phone.

Sunnydays

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
With the max brightness level it’s nearly impossible to see some pink tint.

Look for the tint in setting columns. Those areas that you see as pink will be slightly dimmer. There’s no way to compare in normal lighting at my store. Att is even worse the phones are locked down. Sometimes this “tint” is easier to see at angles.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Screen looks perfect. I see the same “tint” towards the bottom and top right. This seems to be the norm that goes unnoticed. I’m guessing you didn’t purchase a belkin screen protector?
Yes I do have the Apple supplied Belkin screen protector installed. The screen is uniform, I see what you’re saying now, the slight unevenness. It doesn’t look like that just the photo came out that way 🤔

I’ve returned many iPhones in the past due to bad screens, including my 1st 14 PM. I know a keeper (for me) when I see one, this guy is it.

Last edited:

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Yes I do have the Apple supplied Belkin screen protector installed. The screen is uniform, I see what you’re saying now, the slight unevenness. It doesn’t look like that just the photo came out that way 🤔

I’ve returned many iPhones in the past due to bad screens, including my 1st 14 PM. I know a keeper (for me) when I see one, this guy is it.
What kind of problems your 1st 14PM had?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
This is what put me off iPhones in the end. For all the talk of them being a premium product it's a complete lottery getting a perfect one. I've had all sorts of screen issues and loose buttons with various iPhones over the years. With Sony and Samsung I've encountered zero problems.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
What kind of problems your 1st 14PM had?
It had an orange hue at the top / right quadrant + around the DI when in low brightness, night shift, and / or dark mode. Daylight it looked perfect. At night when browsing web, gray screens the issue reared its ugly head.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
With Sony and Samsung I've encountered zero problems.
Nah, exploding / burned up phones aren’t serious issues 😂.

In all seriousness, I get what you’re saying and agree. For the price there shouldn’t be any lottery. I’ve bought $500 Android phones that have had flawless screens. Even my Pixel 6 which has been heavily criticized (somewhat rightfully so) has a perfect screen.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
I noticed that the pros have better uniformity than the pro max. Probably the size of the screen make the pro Max more prone to have uneven tint.

Reactions: Bstephens and bsmr

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
I noticed that as well. My partners Pro is perfect while my pro max has a bit of uneven tint.

Yeah, same for me. My wife’s Pros (12/13/14) are always better than my Pro Maxs.

Have you planned to keep you unit or swap?

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Yeah, same for me. My wife’s Pros (12/13/14) are always better than my Pro Maxs.

Have you planned to keep you unit or swap?
Well for now I think I’ll keep it. I was going to try to have the screen replaced at Best Buy but I don’t even think they have the parts for the new phone yet. And I got the phone from AT&T so I don’t know if apple would swap it. And AT&T would charge me $55 to replace my phone.

Sim-1

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2020
Yesterday I had the poor Idea to compare my iPhone 14 Pro Max screen to an old iPhone 11 Pro of a colleague, and the difference in screen tint was HUGE. His phone had way better/stronger/more vivid colors than mine.
So disappointed. I think I'll buy a new one soon. Every year it's the same story. Unbelievable.

Reactions: klasma

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Yesterday I had the poor Idea to compare my iPhone 14 Pro Max screen to an old iPhone 11 Pro of a colleague, and the difference in screen tint was HUGE. His phone had way better/stronger/more vivid colors than mine.
So disappointed. I think I'll buy a new one soon. Every year it's the same story. Unbelievable.
Here we go again. I owned 2 different units (14OM) and both presented uneven screen. Now i'm waiting for a 3rd one. To be honest they were vivid and strong in colors, but the screen uneveness was not acceptable to me.

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Apologies for these being the worst photos ever, as they were taken with a webcam in PhotoBooth with only three seconds of timer prep time after clicking the capture button, since I was chatting with Apple Support at the time and they asked if I had any other device I could take a comparison photo with, and that was all I had at the time.

*takes breath*

However, in both photos you can see a color cast on the 14 Pro, compared to my previous 13 Pro. The 13 Pro in person does not look like it has more red in it. But the whites look tinged and in some cases a little muddy. I was showing my friend who was there when it was delivered, and comparing several different apps side-by-side, and in one (I think it was Settings or Calendar) he literally made the comment that the 14 Pro screen looked "old".

View attachment 2070192 View attachment 2070194

So, after seeing numerous side by side comparisons of iphone 13PM and 14 PM on youtube and comparing new iphone 14PM to my old iphone 13 PM.

I can conclude that iPhone 14PM is calibrated on warmer side. Check here after 8:13 mins onward, the host has same observations.

Some of the screenshots of youtube videos, and my own comparisons are attached for reference.

You notice it only when, two phones are compared side by side.

So my take, as long as the screen is uniform; do not go into futile exchange loop.

Chill.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 247
  • 4.png
    4.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 229
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 226
  • Vs1.jpg
    Vs1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 244
  • vs 2.jpg
    vs 2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 240
  • Self phones.jpg
    Self phones.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 236
  • 1.png
    1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 249

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
So, after seeing numerous side by side comparisons of iphone 13PM and 14 PM on youtube and comparing new iphone 14PM to my old iphone 13 PM.

I can conclude that iPhone 14PM is calibrated on warmer side. Check here after 8:13 mins onward, the host has same observations.

Some of the screenshots of youtube videos, and my own comparisons are attached for reference.

So my take, as long as the screen is uniform; do not go into futile exchange loop.

Chill.

you can't compare the screen from video, even with a side by side comparison.
Too many factors can affect the tint of the display.
If you put 2 display side by side, with true tone on, the one nearest to light source looks cooler.

Saying that, in my little experience with 14pm i see the opposite. My 13PM with a uniform display was warmer. Unfortunately the 2 14PM were uneven.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

Chill.
You can't compare unless you have way more samples of each and from different batches.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I can conclude that iPhone 14PM is calibrated on warmer side.
This exact same statement is made every year at the launch of the new iPhones. "The new iPhones are calibrated on the warmer side than the old ones". "My old iPhone's display has a cooler tone than the new ones". This thread gives me a good laugh every year at some of the posts and the fact that it gets dug up and added to. Looking forward to seeing it again next year.

Last edited:

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
This exact same statement is made every year at the launch of the new iPhones. "The new iPhones are calibrated on the warmer side than the old ones". "My old iPhone's display has a cooler tone than the new ones". This thread gives me a good laugh every year at some of the posts and the fact that it gets dug up and added to. Looking forward to seeing it again next year.

Nope. iPhone 13s were Calibrated on cooler side w.r.t. iPhone 12s.

• Haha
Reactions: theliellama

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Took a couple of pics today to show a bit of the unevenness. The top is a bit more warm than the bottom. I think at this point I might just replace the screen since I’m out of the 14 day period and can’t replace the phone anymore.

15A37C4E-5A80-48C4-A7E4-18C09631C0D9.jpeg
CBEF78A8-0354-45D3-8FAA-5D466D9AE8A3.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: theliellama

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Took a couple of pics today to show a bit of the unevenness. The top is a bit more warm than the bottom. I think at this point I might just replace the screen since I’m out of the 14 day period and can’t replace the phone anymore.

View attachment 2092981 View attachment 2092982
Rotate your phone by 180 degrees, and then recheck if bottom(Dynamic island) is still warmer than top. Color shift on tilting(changing viewing angle) is normal.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Rotate your phone by 180 degrees, and then recheck if bottom(Dynamic island) is still warmer than top. Color shift on tilting(changing viewing angle) is normal.
Hmmm didn’t think of that. Will take a pic of it upside down. By the way, the pic makes it look worse. In person, most people can’t see anything wrong with the screen. I guess my 13’s screen was so perfect that I’m noticing little flaws on my 14.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Ok so I took a couple of pics, with the phone rotated and I got the same result regardless of the phone position. True Tone was turned off by the way
213FF054-62F5-4392-BB71-E1895B7079A9.jpeg

Attachments

• 5ACD1F81-3416-4E0D-9B23-1B6BACDAAE58.jpeg
    5ACD1F81-3416-4E0D-9B23-1B6BACDAAE58.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 130

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Ok so I took a couple of pics, with the phone rotated and I got the same result regardless of the phone position. True Tone was turned off by the way
View attachment 2093168
Yea I definitely do see it when it's very dark background. On previous one on broad daylight, you can't even notice it in picture but if you can see it in person and does annoy you, definitely go for a screen replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.