Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
No reason to worry. Screen uniformity is what we should not compromise over.
Yeah, I would give the replacement’s screen a 8/10. I still see some unevenness. Just sucks that I had a perfect 13 pro max and I have dealt with two 14s with “meh” screens. I hate to try a third one cause this gets old quick. I already did an Express Replacement, and not sure if I can do another one. Ugh

Burn516

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2022
I'm checking in here from Denmark. I've witnessed 3 displays so far on the iPhone 14 Pro Max, that had a warmer tint than the display models, as if TrueTone was enabled. With TrueTone enabled they became even warmer, almost as if night shift was enabled. A random girl I met on Tinder also had a warm display on her 14 PM, we compared it in the store, and she could see it as well, but it didn't bother her enough to return. I've returned my 2nd phone now, waiting for the 3rd, hopefully it's better this time.

• Haha
Reactions: Fred Zed

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I'm checking in here from Denmark. I've witnessed 3 displays so far on the iPhone 14 Pro Max, that had a warmer tint than the display models, as if TrueTone was enabled. With TrueTone enabled they became even warmer, almost as if night shift was enabled. A random girl I met on Tinder also had a warm display on her 14 PM, we compared it in the store, and she could see it as well, but it didn't bother her enough to return. I've returned my 2nd phone now, waiting for the 3rd, hopefully it's better this time.

Sounds like a fun tinder date :p

• Haha
Reactions: Fred Zed

Burn516

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2022
Just got the 3rd phone. Also warm display compared to display models. 4th 14 Pro Max I’ve witnessed so far.

Starting to look like Apple simply doesn’t have any proper iPhone 14 PM here in Europe. Im refusing to pay almost 1700 usd/euro for a phone with a display that I am not happy with, you wouldn’t buy a MacBook with a display that has different color temperature than the one in the store, right? Same thing to me. I’m headed on vacation so I need the phone, but when I’m getting back I will probably return it and try to get it refunded. Anyone tried to get a refund and skip a generation before?

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Just got the 3rd phone. Also warm display compared to display models. 4th 14 Pro Max I’ve witnessed so far.

Damn, I feel really lucky to be happy with my launch day 14PM unit shipped to me.

Struck the same luck with 12 pro too.

Amabile Ricci

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2020
533DFB4D-588B-4D2B-9F5B-3A1FEFC6CD2C.jpeg
Greetings ! what do you think of my iphone 14 pro ?? 10% brightness with True Tone active!

Dod24

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2022
Hi All,

I bought a new iPhone 12, the screen slightly yellow and in addition, when changing the viewing angle, the colors fall heavily into blue and slightly green. The first four digits of the serial number are H4YJ. The shade of the screen itself is still acceptable but the strongly changing colors after changing the angle is striking.

I use the old iPhone 7 and its screen is perfect.

Anyone can help what could be the cause?

jim177

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2023
Hello, I have bought a new iPhone 14 Pro Max to replace my XS Max.

First I remarked that the display of the new 14 PM is actually less bright than the one of the XS Max. So I went to a store to compare my 14 Pro Max with other 14 Pro Max phones. Of course I checked and made sure all the brightness settings were the same (True Tone on, Automatic Brightness on, no filters and no White Point activated).

So at absolutely the same level of the automatic brightness my phone is a little bit less bright than the others at the store. And I think it has also some yellow tint maybe (Night Shift is off).

Here's the photo, mine at the left:

IMG_4743.jpg

What do you think, it might be defective?

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Hello, I have bought a new iPhone 14 Pro Max to replace my XS Max.

First I remarked that the display of the new 14 PM is actually less bright than the one of the XS Max. So I went to a store to compare my 14 Pro Max with other 14 Pro Max phones. Of course I checked and made sure all the brightness settings were the same (True Tone on, Automatic Brightness on, no filters and no White Point activated).

So at absolutely the same level of the automatic brightness my phone is a little bit less bright than the others at the store. And I think it has also some yellow tint maybe (Night Shift is off).

Here's the photo, mine at the left:

View attachment 2152403

What do you think, it might be defective?
Not faulty, just screen lottery = multiple display manufacturers and wide tolerance allowances at factory.

I've seen redder displays, yellower displays, greener displays.

Last edited:

jim177

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2023
Normal. Put them both on full brightness then compare.
Yes, when at full brightness outdoor they both appear the same. But when indoors mine is less bright. I don't know, I think I'm going to return it. After 4 years of innovations the display should be brighter indoors compared to my XS Max.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Go swap it out if you don’t like it till you do. Apple quality control sucks. So I don’t feel bad when exchanging lots of units. That’s their fault.

Someone has to clarify this, but is it lack of quality control or the fact that Apple is pumping like 10s of millions of iphones per month there is no way of doing a better job at it?

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Yes, when at full brightness outdoor they both appear the same. But when indoors mine is less bright. I don't know, I think I'm going to return it. After 4 years of innovations the display should be brighter indoors compared to my XS Max.
I agree with you, I found the 14 pro max display dimmer than my 13 pro max, at the same brightness level on auto brightness.
Here’s my theory. I think apple have lowered the nits value of any level of brightness on the auto scale, to compensate for the extra hit on battery life the AOD brings. Most people probably leave it on default or 50% auto brightness when indoors, and I think apple have tweaked the actual brightness of that down. It’s definitely way brighter outdoors through when the max brightness kicks in

Reactions: jntdroid

mrfunnypenguin

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
I read something interesting. Not sure if this is actually true but I read this article that says that the green tint issue might be related to the materials used in the screen substrate. It says the green tint only occurs when the ambient temperature is low which I can confirm, mine is only green when the temp is below 65F.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.