Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
It's kinda hard to see in photos, but the iP7 is on the left and the iP6s is on the right (both Plus). It seems to get darker as it goes down the screen (and night-mode is off entirely). I read that sometimes it can take a few days to settle? Or should I take it back?

I'd just hate to have to go to the trouble of exchanging with stock the way it is at the moment lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    750.3 KB · Views: 8,374
Last edited:
Reactions: AleXXXa

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
That's definitely much warmer. I'd exchange that if it doesn't adjust within the next day or two...but you may have to wait a few weeks.

I_am_a_loser

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2015
Boston, MA
It's kinda hard to see in photos, but the iP7 is on the left and the iP6 is on the right (both Plus). It seems to get darker as it goes down the screen (and night-mode is off entirely). I read that sometimes it can take a few days to settle? Or should I take it back?

I'd just hate to have to go to the trouble of exchanging with stock the way it is at the moment lol.

It almost looks like Night Shift is turned on...

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
And its that time of the year again. The screen may turn normal within a few days. No worries, if not, the Apple stores have reserve stock for that.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
On reviewer (can't remember which one it was) commented that the ip7+ definitely has a warmer looking screen than the 6S+. Or at least his was. The 6S+ normally is a bit on the cool white side.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
This comes up every year. It's already been stated that the wide color gamut screen of the 7 and 7 Plus will be warmer than the 6 and 6s. However, if I recall a yellow tint usually has something to do with the glue not being fully cured between the LCD and the cover glass.

No. The glue thing applied to one phone, many years ago, and created blotches, not overall white temp variations. The temperatures of the screens WILL NOT cool down over time.

Whether this panel is too warm or not is another issue. True 6500K looks fairly yellow compared to most uncalibrated screens, but there are also always variations in a production run. It's possible that the 6s is too cool and the 7 is good, or that the 6s is good and the 7 is too warm.

If you can hit it with a TV calibration cam that answers the question, but good ones are pretty expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple

I_am_a_loser

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2015
Boston, MA
This is the reason I will wait till mid October next year to place my order. That's what I did with my 6s and I got a perfect device. No more first week acquisitions for this guy.

Reactions: iphone1027

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
It's probably fine, I'd go to the Apple Store tomorrow and compare it with the demo units. If it's starkly different and bothers you, sure, ask to swap it out.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
This comes up every year. It's already been stated that the wide color gamut screen of the 7 and 7 Plus will be warmer than the 6 and 6s. However, if I recall a yellow tint usually has something to do with the glue not being fully cured between the LCD and the cover glass.
Oh god this was only true with the 4 and it was spots not the whole screen lol!

Reactions: uncreativedan

uncreativedan

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Very cool to see the ability to change the tint and tint intensity. I just hope I don't get a phone that's tinted in a gradient. My iPhone 6 Plus (before I exchanged it) was half yellow on the top and normal cool-tone on the bottom.

Then I got an iPad mini 4 a number of months ago and the leftmost fourth of the screen was yellow.

My iPhone 5 and 6 had a small band of yellow at the top and bottom. All these devices make me miss my iPhone 4, which had the most consistent screen I ever saw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.