Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
just want to chime in to say I also have this issue upon restarting. Just a normal restart too. I'm on 11.2.3.

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
I'm still getting the message frequently, even on Big Sur 11.4 beta 1.

I agree with @HDFan it seems much more likely to be a result of something else that went wrong (and, most likely, during shutdown).

Beyond that, I need to check some logs... will report back if I find out any more.

roliwage

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2020
This is still a bug for me in Big Sur 11.3.1, on a fresh User profile even. ?
The amount of bugs Apple ships their OSs with is staggering.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
This is still a bug for me in Big Sur 11.3.1, on a fresh User profile even. ?
The amount of bugs Apple ships their OSs with is staggering.
you've booted in safe mode, and/or reset nvram? haven't seen that message again in a long time now. what other 'staggering' bugs have you experienced in apple's OSes? start a thread, perhaps, see if anyone here can help.

dsaponaro

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Never had this issue until now. Only Since a clean install of Monterey. Also, with very little else installed on the computer.

Now, after every scheduled and or manual restart or shut down a dialogue pops up saying it was shut down because of a problem.

Tried resetting NVRAM with Command+Option+P+R and a safe mode reboot. While the message didn't appear in the actual safe mode reboot the subsequent regular boot it was back in all its buggy glory. Anyone ideas?

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I had the same problem in Catalina, running OnyX maintenance fix it.
It's probably the cleaning of system kext caches, that can also be done from Terminal.

• Love

dsaponaro

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
I had the same problem in Catalina, running OnyX maintenance fix it.
It's probably the cleaning of system kext caches, that can also be done from Terminal.
Thanks for chiming in. So I tried cleaning Kext Cache through the terminal and had no luck. Downloaded Onyx, ran the default maitenence, and bingo! No more dialogue on restart. I Will see if it sticks. Only wish I knew what the culprit was. Thanks again!

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Just to note, I've started seeing this problem on my iMac (27" i5, 2019) running macOS Monterey (12.0.1).

The only coincidental is that I did see a kernel panic last weekend, but everything seemed fine after that restart…

The last few normal restarts have consistently shown the "You shut down your computer because of a problem" at login.

I will try the Safe Mode boot, and NVRAM reset.

EDIT: tried both Safe Mode boot (which took a few goes to actually activate, and bizarrely only worked with the right shift key) and an NVRAM reset. Neither resolved the error message.

But, as per the tip from @bogdanw , running the 'Maintenance' ▸ 'Run Tasks' feature in OnyX worked a charm; the error message is now gone when I log in to my Mac. Thank you! ??

Last edited:

dsaponaro

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Just to note, I've started seeing this problem on my iMac (27" i5, 2019) running macOS Monterey (12.0.1).

The only coincidental is that I did see a kernel panic last weekend, but everything seemed fine after that restart…

The last few normal restarts have consistently shown the "You shut down your computer because of a problem" at login.

I will try the Safe Mode boot, and NVRAM reset.

EDIT: tried both Safe Mode boot (which took a few goes to actually activate, and bizarrely only worked with the right shift key) and an NVRAM reset. Neither resolved the error message.

But, as per the tip from @bogdanw , running the 'Maintenance' ▸ 'Run Tasks' feature in OnyX worked a charm; the error message is now gone when I log in to my Mac. Thank you! ??
Same exact experience here. Also same year iMac only with an i7 though.

Tangel177

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2021
Hi everyone!!

Ever since the new macOS Monterey, from last night i turned on my iMac and i got this pop up that wont go away ,

"You shut down your computer because of a problem"​

looks like I’m not the only one that this is happening too … i called apple last night and one of the people said that within 24 hrs hopfully will be a update that will fix this , and that the delevopers know about this issue bug … praying this gets fixed!!!

Tangel177

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2021
Same exact experience here. Also same year iMac only with an i7 though.
Same things for me tooo!!!! I noticed it yesterday when starting up my iMac …. Driving me crazy!!!!
also: tried safe mode and the error was gone , didnt show up with safe mode on , restarted it to normal and got the same message starting up iMac AGAIN … ever Since i downloaded the new Mac OS Monterey ….praying there’s an update to fixing this!!! ?.

PLEASE if anyone knows how to fix this please let me know ,, THANKS

dsaponaro

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Same things for me tooo!!!! I noticed it yesterday when starting up my iMac …. Driving me crazy!!!!
also: tried safe mode and the error was gone , didnt show up with safe mode on , restarted it to normal and got the same message starting up iMac AGAIN … ever Since i downloaded the new Mac OS Monterey ….praying there’s an update to fixing this!!! ?.

PLEASE if anyone knows how to fix this please let me know ,, THANKS
Posted above…

Tried cleaning Kext Cache through the terminal and had no luck. Downloaded Onyx, ran the default maitenence, and bingo! No more dialogue on restart. I Will see if it sticks. Only wish I knew what the culprit was. Thanks again!

Also worth noting that the issue hasn’t been back either.

Vandilization

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
I had this same issue in Monterey. I did the Onyx trick above and the message is gone and staying gone so far. Thank you!!

Last edited:

Capella2424

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2013
Thank you all for this thread, as I recently had this problem on my 2017 iMac with Monterey. I also did the Onyx trick, ran the default maintenance and no more dialogue at startup. Cheers everyone ;)

kibepo73

Suspended
Jun 2, 2022
There are many reasons that cause the Mac system randomly shut down, few of the main reasons are:
  • Depleted battery
  • Outdated version of macOS
  • Disk and software errors
  • Peripherals causing malfunction
  • Kernel errors caused by third-party apps
To fix the MacBook random shutting down issue, you can try the below fixes:

1. Shut down your mac properly
2. Run Disk Utility
3. Check the battery health
4. Check for malware
5. Update macOS

Hope it helps!

mac&cheesey

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2008
Old thread, I know, but came here to say I just ran into this issue on my M2 MBA. Reboot, safe start, disk utility, re-install OS via recovery — all failed and the issue persisted. Ran maintenance on Onyx and it fixed the issue.

MacRumors to the rescue agin - thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.