Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2018
Is OnyX open-source? Currently having this issue.

EDIT: You can identify the culprit by (on an admin account):
1. Going to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports
2. entering spindump -timeline -i [filepath of a recent shutdown_stall file from DiagnosticReports] into Terminal
(thoughts and prayers this spindump is huge)

Last edited:

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2018
Late to the party but once I get a Kernel Panic, I get the message at each reboots and found by myself (kudos to those who also found it), that the only solution was to clean with Onyx!
Is it open-source, though? I can't figure out what's causing this, and I also can't just run some random closed-source program endorsed on forums. Going to have to just reinstall MacOS and rebuild from scratch. Once you've done it enough times it goes pretty quickly...

Reactions: Patrice Brousseau

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Is it open-source, though? I can't figure out what's causing this, and I also can't just run some random closed-source program endorsed on forums. Going to have to just reinstall MacOS and rebuild from scratch. Once you've done it enough times it goes pretty quickly...
Shouldn't be any need for the sledgehammer approach.

Smaller hammer approach: delete everything in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

Correct sized hammer approach: delete the latest Sleep Wake Failure diag file from the above directory

Reactions: Patrice Brousseau

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Is it open-source, though? I can't figure out what's causing this, and I also can't just run some random closed-source program endorsed on forums.
It's free, not open-source.

OnyX - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnyX

Macworld: "Onyx review: A must-have utility for your Mac software toolbox"
"Since the days of Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar, Onyx has been in the arsenal of Mac techies to help fix Macs and assorted operating system weirdness. It’s been a long time since the heady days of 2003, and along the way, French developer Joël Barrièrehas has continuously released steady updates of the popular free customization and maintenance tool."
https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html

Let us know if deleting any DiagnosticReports solves the problem.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2018
Correct sized hammer approach: delete the latest Sleep Wake Failure diag file from the above directory
There are no SleepWakeFailure files for me. Would deleting DiagnosticReports just stop the messages? I can't imagine that it would solve any potential underlying problem that is triggering them. Maybe there isn't one, though? Idk... :s

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I can't imagine that it would solve any potential underlying problem that is triggering them. Maybe there isn't one, though? Idk... :s
Do you have repeated problems or repeated messages without problems?
If your Mac keeps crashing, try to
“Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac" https://support.apple.com/HT202731
“Repair volumes, then containers, then disks” https://support.apple.com/HT210898
If you just have that message after every normal restart, then it’s just a macOS glitch that we’ve solved with Onyx. It would be good to know what causes it, so let us know if you find out.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
There are no SleepWakeFailure files for me. Would deleting DiagnosticReports just stop the messages? I can't imagine that it would solve any potential underlying problem that is triggering them. Maybe there isn't one, though? Idk... :s
As far as I'm aware, emptying the entire directory causes no issues. Plus, if it doesn't solve the problem then any new files in that directory should hopefully be related to the issue and help in diagnosis.

You could always move the files somewhere if you're nervous about deleting them.

I had this very issue a few months ago and just "rm -fr" in the directory to delete everything and the problem went away. Luckily, no new problems arose due to having all the files deleted ;)

Dittybopper

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2024
EVERY EFFING TIME I START MY IMAC I GET "You shut down your computer because of a problem". Every time. No matter how I turn it off. No matter what I do.
I am going crazy, I have tried everything! I even draw the plug from the iMac to get a REAL warning message, but I didn't. I got that stupid dialogue, which do nothing no matter if you press the Cancel or Open button.
I have reinstalled the machine. It doesn't matter.
I'm about to bring the fire axe and live out my frustration on this effing machine from hell.

Please help me before I kill something!
Did you try to clear history> it may contain a "cookie" or something that is still running. That seems to fit your problem description. I was sometimes getting that message; then, had a problem logging into Spectrum email account. Spectrum help desk suggested clearing all history and I have not had that error message since (and no further login problem either.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.