Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raynegus

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2003
MacTheRipper and DVD2oneX are both great for putting movies on my Mac. I love getting rid of all the baggage on DVDs. Just give me the movie, dammit!

Photoshop CS is great too. And, of course, iTunes is probably the greatest app ever created.

When I first used iTunes it was version 3 and it sold me on Macs all over again.

kparvez

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2003
Poser 5 is the best

I think for creating CGI (specifically, people, etc), as an amateur, Poser 5 is a great tool. You can do so many things, now only if they could enhance the lighting system...a la Cinema 4D.

knicksfan58

macrumors member
May 6, 2004
i just downloaded desktop manager but i dont really get what it does. what do people use it for? how does it help with computing?

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
AutoID by Batista. I have a tone of usernames and passwords, and I like to be able to hit a keystroke combination and have it fill them in for me automagically.
http://www.batista.org

Lee Tom

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
Ive got a few really good apps! The first one is Aquaduct. This program is basically the mac version of xbconnect which provides people to play likned xbox games over the internet. Another one is OnyX, a very nice maitence tool for OS X. You can probably find it on versiontracker.com.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
My favorites:
additional apps:
And for additional info on using Cocoa based resources:
Other than some Adobe apps (and AppleWorks on very rare occasions) I tend not to use Carbon apps if I can help it because they generally don't take advantage of much of what Mac OS X has to offer. And they also tend not to share and play well with other apps.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Firefox/Thunderbird - hardly Mac specific, but my 2 favourite apps ever.
iCal.
iPhoto (though it has it's annoying "quirks" too...)

Really don't like photoshop :(

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
boz2004 said:
these are older apps, but I still enjoy using them...

PageMaker...

Civilization...

Escape Velocity

Hardly Mac specific, but your post reminds me of my favorite way to take over the world: Civ III.

BTW, do you prefer PageMaker to InDesign CS? After the unholy Quark 6 release, I'm becoming quite an InDesign fan.

m4x0r

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2004
favorite mac apps

iHello, (heh) i'm an old unix nerd who recently bought an ibook so i seem to have some different programs in every day usage to others, and...
as no one had mentioned some i use daily i thought i'd add to this little list...

Ableton Live
.... is amazing audio sequencing software (it is available for windows
though - oh and its NOT a midi sequencer its a loop based live jamming
tool although it does use midi for I/O syncs and triggers )

gvim - all text editing for me is handled in vim

antiword - open word documents from terminal as text-only

keiths image stacker - astronomy image stacking software

VLC - plays all those xvid/divx/mpeg/mov/avi movies quicktime borks at

macpardelux - amazing par2 utility

mpg123 - when i want to play mp3s from terminal or when i want to play
mp3s without messing around telling itunes not to import them to
the library, eg: when playing from an mp3 cd.

camino - safari alternative that can handle web pages bigger than 1mb
without all the nasty scroll issues and speed issues that safari has
with big pages.

Desktop Manager - brings those unix-style multiple desktops to osx
X11 / fink - allowed me to port some of my open source software to run on
my ibook without too much trouble

Romeo - Control mouse pointer/ iTunes / VLC / dvd player all from a
bluetooth enabled phone! ( i needed veta universal for my phone too - nokia 7650 )

NFS Manager - nice gui interface to OSX's NFS share and client options.

Brickhouse Firewall - a power-users gui to the osx firewall software, add some proper rules instead of generic filters.

Little Snitch - to know which apps are trying to phone home - i just like to be told

BTV Carbon 5.4.1 - cool webcam movie capturing app, supports fullscreen even for my dodgy logitech zoom webcam, i use this a lot with image stacking software (keiths or astroyacker) after capturing cosmic movies through my telescope.

Audacity - good if slightly buggy Sample editor for tinkering with those audio clips, re-encoding them, trimming them, effecting them etc etc. and its free and open source too! w00t

iTerm - very good terminal program to replace Terminal, i prefer this simply because it supports Tabbed-terminals which after years of gnome-terminal i just can't live without

hope this helps anyway

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Adium - Knocks the pants off every other chat app. It's a wonderful piece of software.

Konfabulator - Pressing F8, screen fade, calculator pops up... My normally Mac criticising friend saying "Wow, that's cool"... 'nuff said :D

Camino - My browser of choice on the Mac. I'd use Firefox, but Camino's in my dock, so I use it instead (yah, I'm lazy).

I haven't really found any music app on Mac that I really enjoy using. iTunes is fine enough, but I've grown to love foobar2000... I really wish someone whould make an attempt at a port (although I've heard it could be a difficult task).

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
g4cubed said:
Maya 6 complete.
Here's a free download of Maya Personal Learning Edition 5

Hey g4cubed, are you using the learning edition? .... Any options that are lacking from the commercial?
As a recent switcher I must say I am enjoying DVD studio pro a lot

boz2004

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
Indianapolis
zwida said:
Hardly Mac specific, but your post reminds me of my favorite way to take over the world: Civ III.

BTW, do you prefer PageMaker to InDesign CS? After the unholy Quark 6 release, I'm becoming quite an InDesign fan.

Well, most of the apps I have made use of are cross-platform uses - but I do enjoy PM... I haven't used In-Design, yet, but the place where I work is testing it against system needs to prepare for a switch over to it-- I figure I'll have to get a copy for my G3 just to make sure I gain the necessary proficiency (and learn a few non-standard tricks - gotta stay above the curve)

I've yet to get to play Civ 3, but I'd like to get my hands on it (though my wife probably won't like that-hehheh :D )

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
kparvez said:
I think for creating CGI (specifically, people, etc), as an amateur, Poser 5 is a great tool. You can do so many things, now only if they could enhance the lighting system...a la Cinema 4D.

I purchased Poser 5, so the it would be there to dream about a new G5. Alas my processor is too slow. Happy to hear of your praises of the product.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
General: Konfabulator, Stattoo
AOL IM: Proteus

I also love Sherlock ... it's great for looking up movies and stocks.

DeZYnur

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2004
Disk images for games -- you don't need Toast.

Littleodie914 said:
My favorite app has to be Toast 6 Titanium from Roxio... My main computer is an iBook G4, and while I'm out and about I sometimes have some free time. I'm an avid gamer, sucked in by anything with the word "Blizzard" or "Unreal" in it. I play WC3, SC, Diablo 2, UT2004, NWN, MOH, you name it. But who honestly wants to carry 6 CD's around with them all day?! Not me... Creating ISO images and mounting them whenever needed has been one of the most helpful things any app has ever provided. Toast gets my vote!

CmdrLaForge said:
Hi,

can you explain that a little bit more in detail how you do that ?

BTW, my favorite is iComic

You actually don't need Toast, as stated above, to create ISO disk images for gaming. I play Diablo 2, too, and I just use Disk Copy that comes with OS X. Simply launch DC, select File -> New -> Image from Device (or just press Command-Option-I), then in the Device Selector window that pops up, select your CD (for example, "Diablo II Play Disc" in the Volume column) and press the Image button at the bottom right. An "Image Device" window will pop up. Save the disk image with the same name as the CD plus a .cdr extension (i.e. "Diablo II Play Disc.cdr"), select "DVD/CD master" for the Image Format and "AES-128 (recommended)" for the Encryption mode and press Save. You'll be prompted to create a passphrase/word/whatever. Once you've done this, it'll do its thing. When it's finished, you'll end up with a "Filename.cdr.dmg" file on your desktop (as long as that's where you've saved it -- and that's where you probably SHOULD save it, since that's where most CDs mount to). Now you can eject the real CD from the drive. Once that's out, double-click on the .dmg file to mount the disk image. Repeat the process for each of the Play Discs the game uses. Once the disk image(s) is/are mounted, just start the game like you normally would. The disk image(s) should act as the CD(s), and now you won't have to wait for your CD drive to spin up or load multiple CDs.

One thing to note: this copies ALL of the data from the CD(s) onto your hard drive, so you'll need to make sure your hard drive has enough space to hold it all.

I think that's about it. If anyone sees anything I've missed or if I've made a mistake anywhere...

Uuugggg

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2004
Lordaeron
Hmmm, most of my favorites aren't here, so I'm listing my most useful -

LaunchBar - access any file with a few keystrokes. Arrr.
OmniWeb - web browser with features galore.
CopyPaste - keep 20 items in the clipboard instead of one.
SmartScrollX - scroll vertically or horizontally, EXTREMELY intuitively.
SubEthaEdit - text or code editor with features galore
Gish - a game where you play as a ball of tar. Real fun.

DeZYnur

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2004
A few of my faves

Since I didn't actually list any of my favorite apps in my previous post, here goes:

1. "Ye ol' graphic design hat trick": QuarkXPress 4.11, Illustrator, Photoshop (note: although I do like InDesign, we're still OS 9-ified at work, so I haven't really used it much, except for one job that HAD to be done in ID...on the PC :eek: ). And yes, that's Quark 4.11, not 5 or 6. Since we're only up to Suitcase 8 at work, I stick with 4.11 because Suitcase 8 XT won't auto-activate fonts in Quark 5.

2. Safari (thank goodness for OS X at home): love the price/look/speed/tabs, but some additional features would be welcome (I wonder if I'll be able to turn off link underlining in the new Safari in Tiger...?)

3. RockNES: Nintendo (the original) emulator. Currently playing a ROM of Crystalis (a friend borrowed this game from me in high school and I never got it back!)

4. Games: Diablo II, Diablo I (this runs horribly in Classic on my old "Sawtooth" G4 [450 MHz] -- not to mention the sound is God awful through my Logitech Z560s [with Revolution 7.1 sound card] in Classic -- so I always reboot directly into OS 9 to run this), Neverwinter Nights (though it's completely playable, I could definitely use a faster computer for this)

5. Konfabulator: just started playing with this a couple days ago. Love the widgets! Maybe I'll even create one of my own some day.

That's about all I can think of right now.

Enjoy!

kronos2611

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
Well I'd say my top apps would have to be:

EyeTV (my world of TV)
iTunes (loved it since Version 2)
Safari (super fast)
DiskWarrior (for saving my iMac's life)
SuperTux (very cool retro game)

Worst apps I use:
MSN Messanger
ICQ 3.4
RealOne Player

App I've never found a use for:
Stickies

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
kronos2611 said:
Well I'd say my top apps would have to be:

EyeTV (my world of TV)

App I've never found a use for:
Stickies

Which version of EyeTV are you using? What type of setup do you have? Is yours setup with Cable? Is it an easy program to use? Do you save your programs onto your HD or a backup HD?

When I checked with Elgato, the latest version which is Firewire, the problem is that it only works with an antenna setup. Our reception would be poor just on an antenna, with very limited channels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.