Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Looks like you may have some wonky ram

Yep, I avoid this unless I absolutely have too. I updated my bios last month for similar reasons and its also fear inducing to be sure. Odd that your old processor won't work? That shouldn't be, they don't remove processors but add new ones to the bios.
I ran the Windows Memory Check Tool today and it passed 100%.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't think you need too, if you want to use the igpu you plug the HDMI into the motherboard back panel instead of the discreet GPU that's in the PCIe slot
That secondary monitor was in the same HDMI slot before, but I don’t know if that is a PCI slot or not, but it worked before… What’s truly impressive is that during this process I had a ton of questions and I found answers online for all of them, including why won’t my secondary monitor work. 👍 Just think when we have AI helping us. 🤔

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
My youngest used his allowance to buy 16GB 2 stick ram last night (free overnight shipping). He always likes to get validation from me when he buys computer parts. I just said he could buy what he wants, if he feels he needs it.
I walked him through the process of how to install it... including doing a full dust clean up in his case. I let him do it, and just asked him to boot to BIOS first. Showed him what to check for... and it all look good. It was a good learning experience for him. Here is his set up...

kmpc.jpg

I asked him after it booted up to Windows... "Why did you need 32GB of Ram?"... He answered... "for my photo/video editing." I just said "okay"... but I respect him since he pretty much bought everything you see on his desk on his own. That's a lot of allowance/birthday/Christmas money. haha... Well... I did give him the Elgato mic when I replaced it with my sm7b.

Last edited:

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
My youngest used his allowance to buy 16GB 2 stick ram last night (free overnight shipping). He always likes to get validation from me when he buys computer parts. I just said he could buy what he wants, if he feels he needs it.
I walked him through the process of how to install it... including doing a full dust clean up in his case. I let him do it, and just asked him to boot to BIOS first. Showed him what to check for... and it all look good. It was a good learning experience for him. Here is his set up...

kmpc.jpg

I asked him after it booted up to Windows... "Why did you need 32GB of Ram?"... He answered... "for my photo/video editing." I just said "okay"... but I respect him since he pretty much bought everything you see on his desk on his own. That's a lot of allowance/birthday/Christmas money. haha... Well... I did give him the Elgato mic when I replaced it with my sm7b.
Thanks for sharing. It reminds me of when I was 14, got bored of sharing a family computer. I did summer jobs and saved up for my own desktop.

I am surprised to see a plant on a lad's desk!

32GB is huge amounts of RAM? Does he add lots of visual effects and 3D animations to his videos?

Reactions: Huntn and erayser

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Thanks for sharing. It reminds me of when I was 14, got bored of sharing a family computer. I did summer jobs and saved up for my own desktop.

I am surprised to see a plant on a lad's desk!

32GB is huge amounts of RAM? Does he add lots of visual effects and 3D animations to his videos?
When I was a kid, I got actual presents that rip you wrapping paper off on birthdays and Christmas. Maybe it's just my kids??? but they mostly ask for money. Our families live in San Diego... so they get a lot of money on occasions... not including their allowance.

Looking at the pic... I also gave him the PSU from a previous build, fans I didn't use from my build, and he got the stream deck for Christmas. The plant on the desk is strategically placed to hide the cables going to the back of the computer. I didn't really realize his setup was that clean... until I took pics.

I didn't ask what he does on his editing. I would like him to be responsible with money, so all I could say is... if he feels he needs it, he can do whatever he wants with his money. The only thing I did was to make sure he was buying compatible ram, and what to do when he installs it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
"Why did you need 32GB of Ram?"... He answered... "for my photo/video editing."
My first computer, I had a whopping 4k of ram. In many respects having such tight confines forces you to write tight code and do things to make it work. I remember trying to get a pi generator working in assembler and doing various tricks to fit it in the ram. That thing took so long to computer PI to 1,000 places, and not you can easily do it in the millions subsecond, lol

As for ram, I think 32GB is the new minimum, especially for video editing. Hell one of my games will take advantage of 64GB of ram, which is crazy - Cities:Skylines is very ram dependent given the high degree of detail you can have in cities you build and the size of the city can be huge.

Reactions: erayser

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It makes you wonder what the sequel will use.
I've been somewhat following the development and they taken the micromanagement of a city to a whole new level. I'm personally not sure if I want that. There's a whole cottage Youtube industry creating videos, and those content creators are literally placing individual trees and bushes. some folks on reddit show similar cities.

I'm more of a simcity fan, I want to design and run a city from a macro perspective, not micro.

Reactions: Mackilroy

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
My first computer, I had a whopping 4k of ram. In many respects having such tight confines forces you to write tight code and do things to make it work. I remember trying to get a pi generator working in assembler and doing various tricks to fit it in the ram. That thing took so long to computer PI to 1,000 places, and not you can easily do it in the millions subsecond, lol

As for ram, I think 32GB is the new minimum, especially for video editing. Hell one of my games will take advantage of 64GB of ram, which is crazy - Cities:Skylines is very ram dependent given the high degree of detail you can have in cities you build and the size of the city can be huge.
Yes it is... Adobe CC says 32GB minimum. I'm a photographer and do work for a lot of influencer content creators. It hasn't been a struggle working with 32GB in my editing... but reading that you're playing games taking advantage of 64GB... looks like I'll have to bump it up on my next build. I don't really game that much... but still nice to have the higher ceiling.

Reactions: Huntn and maflynn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've got 2 Razer Nostrumos, I've had for years. they are starting to look a little ragged, but work. Updated to a Razer Tartarus, which is basically the same thing, it works with Snapse V2.0 just like the Nostromos, and is easy to import your game key sets over to it. I have no idea how long this model will be available, but when I find something I like, I tend to stockpile extra hardware (if inexpensive) for when the current one breaks... :)

tartarus-v2-chroma.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishman

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
I'd consider moving those off carpet or at least putting a board under them or something. The Series X draws air up through the bottom and exhausts it through the top. That's why it has that circular foot. I'd imagine that PC case if the PSU is in the bottom as newer cases tend to be would be better served off carpet too.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I'd consider moving those off carpet or at least putting a board under them or something. The Series X draws air up through the bottom and exhausts it through the top. That's why it has that circular foot. I'd imagine that PC case if the PSU is in the bottom as newer cases tend to be would be better served off carpet too.
Good call. I plan to buy a black ikea lack shelf to put them both on. Will do so this weekend.

What's in it? C'mon man you don't say "I got a new PC" without the deets.
Ryzen 7800x3d
RTX 4070 12GB
Gigabyte B550 Aurus Elite wifi
VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
Adata S70 Blade 1TB NVME

Cooler:
Deepcool A620 modded with thermal right rgb fans

TV: LG C1 55inch
Sound system: Samsung Q950T with upfiring rear speakers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Redid my loop with ZMT and swapped my Rez pump combo for one that actually fits in the case.
IMG_0546.jpeg IMG_0547.jpeg
What is sounds like, at idle. I could make it sound the same under load, but I have it set up to try to keep the water under 35C and I dont care as much about the noise.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Just bought a 5800x3D to replace the 3900x in my desktop. I get some stuttering in busy areas of Starfield, so thought maybe this could help. This machine doesn't really do anything but game, so I figure there's no harm in losing 4 cores in exchange for the cache.

Last edited:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Ryzen 7800x3d
RTX 4070 12GB
Gigabyte B550 Aurus Elite wifi
VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
Adata S70 Blade 1TB NVME

Cooler:
Deepcool A620 modded with thermal right rgb fans

TV: LG C1 55inch
Sound system: Samsung Q950T with upfiring rear speakers.

Pog. Shame you got an Nvidia card otherwise I'd bully you to join me on Linux. But since you do have one, I don't want you to suffer with me

OIP.30p7HrXH3fW0UilFr1vd3AHaGy

So what are you gonna play on it?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Pog. Shame you got an Nvidia card otherwise I'd bully you to join me on Linux. But since you do have one, I don't want you to suffer with me

OIP.30p7HrXH3fW0UilFr1vd3AHaGy

So what are you gonna play on it?
I chose an rtx card for ray tracing. However in most games it's not worth the frame rate hit. Hopefully this will change in the near future.

I will only use this pc for gaming. Why should I consider Linux instead on windows.

Games played so far:
Minecraft with Ray tracing
Cyberpunk 2077
Res dead redemption
Alan wake 2

I plan to buy a few ps5 titles like Miles morales, the last of us and ratchet and clank. They are silly pricey but I have added them to my basket in wait for alerts when they drop in price.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Just bought a 5800x3D to replace the 3900x in my desktop. I get some stuttering in busy areas of Starfield, so thought maybe this could help. This machine doesn't really do anything but game, so I figure there's no harm in losing 4 cores in exchange for the cache.
What were the results?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I put Starfield on an M2 drive. I think that was the recommendation .

Reactions: dmr727

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I've got 2 Razer Nostrumos, I've had for years. they are starting to look a little ragged, but work. Updated to a Razer Tartarus, which is basically the same thing, it works with Snapse V2.0 just like the Nostromos, and is easy to import your game key sets over to it. I have no idea how long this model will be available, but when I find something I like, I tend to stockpile extra hardware (if inexpensive) for when the current one breaks... :)

You like One Handed Keyboards huh? I use a Redragon K585 as mine.

71C0QuZ2ijL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Huntn

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I put Starfield on an M2 drive. I think that was the recommendation .

I thought about that too, but it's already sitting on a fast M.2 drive, so I thought I'd try the CPU. I had been meaning to upgrade to a 5000 series processor anyway, so I thought I'd give the 3D version a try. The parts have arrived, so I'll have some results this evening once I get my daughter to bed. :)

Reactions: Huntn and diamond.g
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.