Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Wife took over kiddo duties: "Go do your nerd stuff, I'll handle bedtime!" :p

The good news is the installation was quick and easy, and the 5800x3D solved all the stuttering issues. Everything is buttery smooth everywhere, so I'm happy! This is a gaming machine so I don't care too much, but according to GB6 I also picked up an additional 25% in single core, and it's actually about 6% faster than the 12 core 3900x it replaced.

The only negative was mentioned earlier in the thread - it's a hot chip, and I'm going to want to dump the stock cooler from the 3900x and step up the cooling. It doesn't get much above 75 degrees in Starfield, but when I had it chew through the Blender BMW render the temps got to 87 degrees - just below the 90 degree limit. I love the look of AIO coolers, but I figure that'd be overkill on something I can't even overclock. I dunno - I'm usually not one to care what the inside of my computer looks like but man, the AIO solutions are so much cleaner looking than a huge-air cooler. Might bite the bullet anyway. :)

5800x3d.jpeg machine.jpeg

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Wife took over kiddo duties: "Go do your nerd stuff, I'll handle bedtime!" :p

The good news is the installation was quick and easy, and the 5800x3D solved all the stuttering issues. Everything is buttery smooth everywhere, so I'm happy! This is a gaming machine so I don't care too much, but according to GB6 I also picked up an additional 25% in single core, and it's actually about 6% faster than the 12 core 3900x it replaced.

The only negative was mentioned earlier in the thread - it's a hot chip, and I'm going to want to dump the stock cooler from the 3900x and step up the cooling. It doesn't get much above 75 degrees in Starfield, but when I had it chew through the Blender BMW render the temps got to 87 degrees - just below the 90 degree limit. I love the look of AIO coolers, but I figure that'd be overkill on something I can't even overclock. I dunno - I'm usually not one to care what the inside of my computer looks like but man, the AIO solutions are so much cleaner looking than a huge-air cooler. Might bite the bullet anyway. :)

View attachment 2335862 View attachment 2335863
Great that single core performance improved. for some games that's more important than more cores.

Your cooler is not sufficient for a mid range cpu.

My pc had a be quiet cooler. Within 30min of unboxing i replaced it with a Deepcool ak620 digital that I enhanced with thermalright rgb fans. Here are photos.

IMG_3759.jpeg
IMG_3861.jpeg
IMG_3656.jpeg

Reactions: dmr727 and Huntn

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Great that single core performance improved. for some games that's more important than more cores.

Your cooler is not sufficient for a mid range cpu.

Yeah, I was kind of hoping that stepping back to 8 cores and moving up to a 5000 series CPU (and its better manufacturing process) would offset the additional heat from the cache stacked on top, but that obviously wasn't the case. I just bought a NZXT AIO cooler, which arrives Saturday. It's overkill for something that can't be overclocked, but I like the clean look and the 120mm version isn't much more expensive than a nicer air cooler. I'll post the new temps once it's installed!

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Yeah, I was kind of hoping that stepping back to 8 cores and moving up to a 5000 series CPU (and its better manufacturing process) would offset the additional heat from the cache stacked on top, but that obviously wasn't the case. I just bought a NZXT AIO cooler, which arrives Saturday. It's overkill for something that can't be overclocked, but I like the clean look and the 120mm version isn't much more expensive than a nicer air cooler. I'll post the new temps once it's installed!
I had no idea that 120mm AIO exist. Yes, please share temps.

My original plan was to buy a NZXT Kraken 280 RGB but didn’t. I couldn’t justify it because air cooling is now just as good and I wanted a different look for the PC.

If I didn’t want a display for temp and utilisation, I would have purchased a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE which is arguably the best and cheapest cooler for a mid-range CPU.

Reactions: dmr727

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
If your MB allows it you can try to run PBO with like a -30 all core offset to see if that helps bring temps down as well.

Reactions: dmr727

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
If your MB allows it you can try to run PBO with like a -30 all core offset to see if that helps bring temps down as well.

Interesting - I didn't think to do that. Fortunately I got the AIO cooler installed tonight, and the temps are much nicer now. Will post in a bit.

Reactions: diamond.g

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I had no idea that 120mm AIO exist. Yes, please share temps.

I got the cooler installed tonight, with the help of my daughter. So of course it took a little longer than I expected. ;)

The temps really came down. Starfield went from about 75 degrees down to a peak of 62, while the Blender benchmark settles in at 70 degrees - much better than the limit pushing 87 I saw before. It idles at about 25 degrees. I know I could have gotten similar results with an air cooler (yours looks incredible!), but this is my first AIO and figured I'd change things up a bit.

As an aside, I've been rolling my own PCs for decades now, but as I get older I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't just forgo the bulk and buy a Razer or something - I'm not a hardcore enough gamer to really need the thermals of a midsize tower. But I forget how enjoyable it is to sometimes just spend an evening working inside the case, upgrading here and there, figuring out cable routing, and so on. :)

AIO.jpeg

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I got the cooler installed tonight, with the help of my daughter. So of course it took a little longer than I expected. ;)

The temps really came down. Starfield went from about 75 degrees down to a peak of 62, while the Blender benchmark settles in at 70 degrees - much better than the limit pushing 87 I saw before. It idles at about 25 degrees. I know I could have gotten similar results with an air cooler (yours looks incredible!), but this is my first AIO and figured I'd change things up a bit.

As an aside, I've been rolling my own PCs for decades now, but as I get older I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't just forgo the bulk and buy a Razer or something - I'm not a hardcore enough gamer to really need the thermals of a midsize tower. But I forget how enjoyable it is to sometimes just spend an evening working inside the case, upgrading here and there, figuring out cable routing, and so on. :)

View attachment 2341948
I too enjoyed taking the bundled cooler off and spending 90min customising and fitting a bigger one.
any reason why you didn’t top mount the radiator and cooler? Heat likes to travel upward.

Let us know what the temps are like during summer when ambient temps are higher.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
any reason why you didn’t top mount the radiator and cooler? Heat likes to travel upward.

The short answer is because it's what my three year old daughter wanted. :p I was talking her through the choice, and she chose to mount the radiator on the side, I think mainly because that's how the picture on the box has it mounted. I figured it'd be fine to sacrifice a little cooling efficiency to make her feel a little more involved in the process.

I'll definitely let you know how things are once the summer rolls around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.