Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strong20

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
hi all, I'm trying to set up a new desktop, and wanted to try a new thing: display a different image for a given situation using a if/else statement. I have problems implementing the images into the shell script. Could anyone help?

Hi James,

If you are using Geektool 3, just drag image geeklet to desktop from geektool apps. Then go to geektool setting window, under image coloum set path of your image in URL input field. that's it your wanted image get display in your desktop..

sero

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
tail -f

Geektool forums look abandoned..

I'm trying to setup a pretty simple geeklet using tail, and it freezes geektool every time (have to kill it then edit the plist to get it un-beachballed). Does anyone have a workaround to get tail -f working?

Code:
tail -f /path/log

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
With this new app I have now removed my Yahoo weather script as this app does it all for you :) and more. Here is my new live desktop with Living Earth HD providing the desktop and weather.

That's cool as long as you don't get sick of the earth desktop. Can't use the weather/time etc without the earth HD rotating desktop.

strong20

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Geeklet script for download/Upload usage data

Anybuddy please help me out......:)

Hi everyone, i have monthly limited internet connection and i always wanted to know how much of internet i consumed. I wonder is there any Geeklets script which can give data of internet usage as how much download and upload completed or remains. after searching a lot i didnt even find any of these kind of script.........and i am not good in geek script. Any help will be appreciated..............:)

dzurn

macrumors newbie
Geektool forums look abandoned..

I'm trying to setup a pretty simple geeklet using tail, and it freezes geektool every time (have to kill it then edit the plist to get it un-beachballed). Does anyone have a workaround to get tail -f working?

Code:
tail -f /path/log

Geektool and tail are doing exactly what you asked for, but it's not what you intended.

The -f switch for tail will keep running forever, waiting for new lines to display, until tail is killed by the shell, which will not happen. Thus, your endless beachball summer. Geektool is designed specifically to take care of that, based on the refresh rate, and it will re-tail at the interval you specify. A refresh of 60 (once a minute) is usually fine.

Just get rid of the "-f" and your problem should magically disappear:
Code:
tail /path/log
So why did you post on an abandoned forum, eh?

sero

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Geektool and tail are doing exactly what you asked for, but it's not what you intended.

The -f switch for tail will keep running forever, waiting for new lines to display, until tail is killed by the shell, which will not happen. Thus, your endless beachball summer. Geektool is designed specifically to take care of that, based on the refresh rate, and it will re-tail at the interval you specify. A refresh of 60 (once a minute) is usually fine.

Just get rid of the "-f" and your problem should magically disappear:
Code:
tail /path/log
So why did you post on an abandoned forum, eh?

Thanks for the reply. I understand the conflict and really didn't expect it to work. Your suggestion would work for viewing logs, but I was trying to keep my question simple and that's not exactly what I want to do. I'm looking for "tail -f" behavior rather than refreshing a file. I want to tail the output of a process piped through tee. rtorrent piped through tee for example...

"tail -f" works fine for this purpose in the terminal. I just want it embedded in the desktop, if possible.

Wetbaby

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Got problems with Geek tool weather scripts

Hi,

anybody can help with the weather scripts. I have a problem with getting the yahoo weather descriptions on my desktop. However, the weather image is fine but not the descriptions and forecasts.

Pls help..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Please create any further geektool threads in the UI Customization sub forum. This thread has grown too large and is now locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.