Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one do you use whole day?

• Total voters

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
For the apps I use I think dark mode has been well configured. A small percentage still blasts me with a bright white but overall I much prefer the dark. I find the dark is easier to read text than the white and less annoying on my eyes. Many of the apps and sites I frequent like macrumors for instance the dark mode is actually a dark gray which is also preferable over the jet black. Just my 2 cents

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Automatic, I need light mode during the day for a lot of the applications I use. At night almost all those apps are dark mode enabled. So now I just have it automatically adjust to dark at 8pm, back to light at 6am.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Since I use a couple different older iPhones for other things, it's too jarring and disorienting having just one iPhone on Dark Mode - so all my iPhones run "Light Mode"

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I've used dark ever since the first iOS 13 beta released but I started to get bored of it so I switched to light and have been using it for the past week and a half. And I must say, it really is a nice change.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I could go either way to be honest. I’m not a fan of dark mode on my 7, but it’s great on my xs max. I don’t mind light either. I tend to wake up early only to lay in bed for an hour or so until I have to go to work and light mode burns my eyes at 430am while dark doesn’t bring a tear. I’ve seen videos where newer phones are kicking the crap out of the xs max but it’s been great on my eyes. My 7 used to blind me early in the am too.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I have it set where it goes dark when the sun goes down. I personally prefer light mode but I’m trying to get adjusted to dark mode and so far it’s working. I wouldn’t want it in my phone all the time though which is why I set it for automatic

Reactions: John dosh

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I go through phases, I’ve never committed to either light/dark/automatic, ever since my X. Just now, it’s dark mode all the time. Next week/month, anybody’s guess.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Light mode. I know some of you want to shoot me for admitting such an atrocity, but I feel that light mode has my apps the way the developer intended them to be. Color schemes and all.

Reactions: RRC

soniasim

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Light mode all day and night long.

I really feel that dark mode is much more tiring for my eyes, compared to light mode.
There's something about white letters on dark backround, that makes it almost impossible for me to read long texts without feeling uncomfortable. The letters kinda appear blurrier compared to black on white.

I also remember reading a scientific article that explained why it's not good for the retinal to keep constantly reading white text on dark backround (can't find it right now, it was a long time ago when I searched about this, I really wanted to persuade myself to permanently use dark mode).

Since iOS enabled this feature, I have tried multiple times to get used to it and the most I've managed to use it is ~10 days.

I always feel quite relieved after re-enabling light mode.

amigosan

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2021
I also remember reading a scientific article that explained why it's not good for the retinal to keep constantly reading white text on dark backround (can't find it right now, it was a long time ago when I searched about this, I really wanted to persuade myself to permanently use dark mode).

I always feel quite relieved after re-enabling light mode.
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/dark-mode/ just read that, very interesting, but it seems to be opposite as what you’re saying ?

An example :

« This result seems to suggest that, even though performance in light mode may be better in the short term, there may be a long-term cost associated with it »

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.