Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Only if you're clumsy is this a possibility. The possibility is a reality with anyone phone iPhone included, has nothing to do with the phone. Granted the 3G/S plastic was a little slippery compared to other devices.

There fixed ;)

You tell me how its innovative when so many Android phones can do so much more??? Some might find the OS innovative in a way, but that really doesn't count.

How can Apple be innovative with the next iphone? LTE, 4" screen, NFC, improved Siri? Don't think so.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
You tell me how its innovative when so many Android phones can do so much more??? Some might find the OS innovative in a way, but that really doesn't count.

How can Apple be innovative with the next iphone? LTE, 4" screen, NFC, improved Siri? Don't think so.

"Innovative" is in the eyes of the beholder.

I recently made a thread where I highlighted why the iPhone is best in photography, videos, security, updates, audio, navigation, games, voice commands and accessories.

In response I received a list of things that Android phones can do, which the iPhone cannot, like opening a file browser, installing a custom ROM and using widgets.

The debate of which list is more "innovative" depends on the opinion of the person making the argument.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas

Tell me how the iPhone in its original form is not innovative? It's even taken this long for phones to catch up to the iPhones screen resolution. Again the size of the screen on a phone doesn't necessarily drive innovation. Screen size is relative to the users needs. Secondly the skinned Android experience is lackluster at best. Nothing intuitive about a giant clock on the home screen ie Sense ui, or *gasp* touchwiz. Vanilla Android or bust.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Tell me how the iPhone in its original form is not innovative? It's even taken this long for phones to catch up to the iPhones screen resolution. Again the size of the screen on a phone doesn't necessarily drive innovation. Screen size is relative to the users needs. Secondly the skinned Android experience is lackluster at best. Nothing intuitive about a giant clock on the home screen ie Sense ui, or *gasp* touchwiz. Vanilla Android or bust.

If its do innovative why am I so limited on what I can do? I'll gladly take a larger screen with less dpi than the 4s. Android has come a LONG way. It's not going to be buttery smooth like the iPhone because of the differences between the OS's.

Nothing intuitive about a giant clock on the home screen? Well nothing intuitive about a grid of icons either!!!

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
If its do innovative why am I so limited on what I can do? I'll gladly take a larger screen with less dpi than the 4s. Android has come a LONG way. It's not going to be buttery smooth like the iPhone because of the differences between the OS's.

Nothing intuitive about a giant clock on the home screen? Well nothing intuitive about a grid of icons either!!!

Feeling limited is your own personal perspective. I would feel limited on an Android device.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

I recently made a thread where I highlighted why the iPhone is best in photography, videos, security, updates, audio, navigation, games, voice commands and accessories.

In response I received a list of things that Android phones can do, which the iPhone cannot, like opening a file browser, installing a custom ROM and using widgets.

The debate of which list is more "innovative" depends on the opinion of the person making the argument.

Not sure why people are down rating your post when it's completely true.

For me, I like to customise my stuff so I like Android.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas

You can liken the grid of icons in iOS to the dock of icons in OSX, or the start menu in windows. A polished OS doesn't need a complete refresh every year. I'll reserve judgement of Jelly Bean, until Google I/O of this year.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Not sure why people are down rating your post when it's completely true.

For me, I like to customise my stuff so I like Android.

Probably because they don't agree with my opinion of what the iPhone is best at. Different people like different things, there is no "best phone" for everyone.

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Despite its respectable spec boost, the Galaxy S3 is a pretty ugly redesign by Samsung. What were they thinking?!

The rounded edges and the non-centered home button look terrible IMO.

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
thoughts on s3:

awesome processor (international or the dual core we get in states)
awesome gpu
great camera (not sure if it beats iphones but i'm sure it's still great)
don't like plastic
don't like screensize (too big). 4.0" is my PERSONAL sweetspot
don't like touchwiz

going to get HTC Incredible 4G for verizon to save my unlimited data plan. then maybe get iphone in Fall depending on if i enjoy my android run or not :)

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
thoughts on s3:

awesome processor (international or the dual core we get in states)
awesome gpu
great camera (not sure if it beats iphones but i'm sure it's still great)
don't like plastic
don't like screensize (too big). 4.0" is my PERSONAL sweetspot
don't like touchwiz

going to get HTC Incredible 4G for verizon to save my unlimited data plan. then maybe get iphone in Fall depending on if i enjoy my android run or not :)

It's not plastic, it's polycarbonate. That means it won't shatter into tiny pieces when you drop it.

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
It's not plastic, it's polycarbonate. That means it won't shatter into tiny pieces when you drop it.

cool. screen is still too big. gpu is still slight bump over 4s's. and touchwiz still sucks. i guess if i want to nerd out i can fix that last one. but yeah don't want to hold something up to my head that feels like a pannnnnnncake :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I switch between android and iOS all the time. When people say they both have pros and cons it's absolutely true.

Every time I switch I feel relieved and I'm happy. But only for a short period then I'm missing something. My battery in my OG Razr died when I was at Preakness which is why I'm now using my 4S (hence the breaks I take from this forum). However I earlier I was scouring the Internet for a PDF when I finely found it at terribly slow 3G speeds I got even more annoyed trying to read it on a 3.5" screen (it was an electrical schematic so zooming in and out made it very difficult to see).

I think I'd be happy with the Maxx or a larger screen iPhone.

For my use Android can do a lot more too. Battery life and iMessage (all my friends have iPhones) is keeping me with Apple.

Btw I feel my Razr is VERY wide but everything that needs touching is at the bottom. One hand usability is a bit easier vs my 4S. If apple would move the back/cancel in apps to the bottom I'd change that comment.

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010

Maybe you shouldn't drop your expensive gadgets then? I don't seem to have this problem, or even a fear of said problem.

If you're clumsy, then yes polycarbonate is a good choice in materials for your phone.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012

iPhone best in Navigation? I think you would have a tough time selling that to anyone that has used or even seen Google Navigation in Android. out of the box, I would put Gogle Nav against any stqnd alone GPS device. iPhone is about 3 generations behind in this area but that may change with the next iPhone and the new 3d mapping.
I'd also argue on the audio part.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Maybe you shouldn't drop your expensive gadgets then? I don't seem to have this problem, or even a fear of said problem.

If you're clumsy, then yes polycarbonate is a good choice in materials for your phone.

I have never dropped my iPad (anything higher than a foot anyway :p) or my phone (at all), but it'd be nice to know that if I did, or if somebody banged into me, it wouldn't shatter.

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I have never dropped my iPad (anything higher than a foot anyway :p) or my phone (at all), but it'd be nice to know that if I did, or if somebody banged into me, it wouldn't shatter.

If that's a priority for you then hopefully it steers you to devices that make you happy. I've replaced each of my smartphones after 1-2 years, and without a single "shatter incident" I've come to realize that I don't have your level of apprehension when considering drop protection.

I dislike the cheap feel of the materials Samsung uses in their line of smartphones, and would prefer something that feels higher-end then polycarbonate or plastic. This is my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
cool. screen is still too big. gpu is still slight bump over 4s's. and touchwiz still sucks. i guess if i want to nerd out i can fix that last one. but yeah don't want to hold something up to my head that feels like a pannnnnnncake :)

Until the iPhone gets bigger right?

The great thing about these bigger phones is how minimalistic the bezel is. If you lay an iPhone on top of the One X or the S3, you see that the actual phone itself is hardly bigger than the iPhone. They are just so well designed, that you can afford a much much larger screen without increasing the phone size that much. The One X absolutely destroys my 4S in nearly every way unfortunately. I imagine the S3 will be equally brilliant.

Also, who cares about touchwiz? Just install one of many launchers in the app store. No hacking or weird stuff required, it works just like installing an app off the Apple app store. But it can actually transform your phone, to whatever you want.

I think the problem here is Apple fans get it into their head that their stuff is "the best" and all reason just flies out the window. They don't deal in the facts, only assumptions. Has anyone here actually tried Android 4? Have they not seen how lightning fast it is on these new phones, and how much capability it has? It makes iOS look positively ancient. Apple has HUGE ground to make up this year, and of course we will be seeing Jelly Bean like two weeks after we see iOS 6, and it could end up being a pretty ugly beating for Apple. We will see.

Google is working fast and is generally considered to have the top talent in the industry...

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
You can liken the grid of icons in iOS to the dock of icons in OSX, or the start menu in windows. A polished OS doesn't need a complete refresh every year. I'll reserve judgement of Jelly Bean, until Google I/O of this year.

That's your opinion. Keep in mind if I have one app on a home screen it has to go in the top left, whereas Android lets me put it anyway I want. Another Apple limitation.

But I don't want to turn this thread into an Apple Vs. Android debate.

To each their own. In my book the iPhone is a very solid LIMITED phone, while Android is is pretty much unlimited but not as smooth.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
iPhone best in Navigation? I think you would have a tough time selling that to anyone that has used or even seen Google Navigation in Android. out of the box, I would put Gogle Nav against any stqnd alone GPS device. iPhone is about 3 generations behind in this area but that may change with the next iPhone and the new 3d mapping.
I'd also argue on the audio part.

This has all been discussed on the thread I linked to. You can make your arguments there, but it's probably been said already :)

toothpaste

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Let me preface my rant by saying, I own a Powermac G5, macbook pro, ipod 3g and nano. So I do like Apple products.

iPhone is a toy. It is like the hot girl everyone wants. Looks nice, smells nice, but totally empty inside devoid of any substance.

It's not about open or closed, we could argue that as well.
It's not about polished or "sexy", don't get me started on using that word to describe a piece of hardware.
It's not about class as I have seen someone say in this thread.
It's not about any of that nonsense.

It's about choice. It's about being able to spend your hard earned money on what makes the most sense to you. Now, iPhone users are just less technical (sorry sad truth) by nature and that's ok, after all Apple is known for "it just works" out of the box, yet simple things are not built into the OS. "there is an app for that" as the commercials state. Why? To have a more controlled user experience and an environment Apple controls thus making the hardware function better with the OS. Good point, sacrifice performance and functionality for stability? Debatable again.

So we have people using adjectives to describe how wonderful their iphones are, yet the same people don't know a percent of the functionality that the iphone is capable of. I mean how would they know(less technical), Apple limits the phone. A Bugatti that does only 100mph. Interesting.

I run android. Samsung and HTC phones. I can setup PS calls (that's packet switched for you fanboys, or simpler calls over wifi). You need an app for that, I have that built into the OS because the hardware supports it. Your hardware does too, but you NEED a third party app for that. I can do PDP Context (that's data connections), again it's built into the OS, can you do that? NO, there's also an app for that. I do network testing, data capture and all the other technical things that you don't and can't because AGAIN you need an app for that. I work for a company that produces chips for all the major phone manufacturers, yes EVEN Apple had chips from my company and I tested all these phones. This is the reason, I decided to stay with Android and not go the Apple way.

It looks nice, but the functionality of the phone is crippled by an OS that is locked and for all intent and purpose no longer an innovator. Yes, Apple may have started the smartphone revolution but someone came around, took notes and came out with a much better OS.

It matters not who was first, it matters who is BEST.

Flame away...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.