Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I'm playing 'Until Dawn' right now and just now I've come to realise it might become one of my top five favourite games I've played in my whole life. I just love this kind of horror story/movie which I can get immersed into.

So then I started thinking of my top five favourite games I've played and I'm curious to hear other people's top five favourite.

Mine (in no particular order):

- Zelda Ocarina of Time N64. It was so huge in it's time. I remember my best friend and me playing it together and I got it for Christmas after thinking it was impossible to get.
- Super Smash Bros N64. Was so so much fun.
- Uncharted 1 PS3. First time I played this game I was so impressed and I loved the island and jungle settings. This game showed me what the new generation games were capable of and I was truly blown away by the jump in quality.
- Donkey Kong for the original GB. My first true game. A gift from my grandparents. I have great memories playing it in the bus when I was a kid.
- Until Dawn PS4. Mostly because I love being immersed in this type of horror story, in the woods, snowing, with mysteries, etc.

There are other great games I truly love, like The Last of Us and Bioshock, but they don't have that something special those five have for some reason or other.

What are yours? And try to explain why each game has become of those top five favourites!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Good thread!

My Top Five:

1.) The Last of Us (Remastered PS4)

2.) Grand Theft Auto V

3.) Red Dead Redemption

4.) Uncharted 4-A Thiefs End

5.) James Bond: 007-Goldeneye (N64)

Last edited:

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Last of Us
Uncharted 4
Tetris
Super Mario 3

And maybe a surprise write in for the last spot is Breath of the Wild.

I don't remember a game capturing my attention and time like this one in a very long time. It draws me in and I've spent hours wandering aimlessly as I can't get enough of all the little details of it.

Reactions: Sensamic

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
It is incredibly difficult to pick only 5 of the countless amazing games I've played since I was a kid. Here's my first attempt, in no particular order:

Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Wii)

F.E.A.R. (PC)

Halo 3 (XBOX 360)

Mario Kart 64 (N64)

Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
In no particular order:

Super Mario World

Uncharted 2

Mass Effect 2

The Last of Us

Shadow of the Colossus

Bloodborne

Tony Hawk 3

GTA3

Sorry, couldn't limit myself to just five...

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Probably those..newer games don't tend to nearly fascinate me as much as those oldschool ones.

SMB3
Monkey Island
SMW
Doom (I+II)
Goldeneye

Reactions: hawkeye_a

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
1) Full Throttle (LucasArts) (PC/Mac)
2) Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II (GCN)
3) Super Mario Brothers (NES)
4) Sonic the Hedgehog 1 (GEN)
5) Shadow of the Colossus (PS3)

Last edited:
Reactions: twietee

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
This is a hard one. I'm going with these in no particular order:
1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Borderlands 2
3. MechWarrior 2
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear

Really hard to narrow it down to 5. I'm a huge fan of Metroid and Castlevania series, old SSI "gold box" RPGs, and the classic adventure games from Sierra and Lucasarts. But those games above I put so much time into that it's embarrassing.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Easy! In no order;

Zelda - Breath of the Wild: it's perfect to me.

Mario World: it's the map that does it for me, it really inspired me as a kid, but best of all I didn't own it so I've got that "didn't own first time round" feeling that probably isn't real.

Sonic 2: my favourite level and music design in the series.

Turrican 2: the first love game. Showed me a giant, fluid world when other systems couldn't. Way ahead of its time. A metroid-like game on the Amiga.

Team Fortress 2: the first online game I was sucked into. I made lifelong (so far) friends on a server there, I saw friends on it get engaged and married, I made business partners and collaborators there. Plus I was really into the simple gameplay.

Other random faves: Desert Golf, Pokémon Heart Gold, Mario Bros 3, GTAV, Yoshis Island, FF7, FF4.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Just noticed this thread after whining about BOTW lol.

In no particular order. Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Zelda Link to the past.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Just noticed this thread after whining about BOTW lol.

In no particular order. Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Zelda Link to the past.

Whining about Breath of the Wild? Go on, I'm quite curious. I have played it for about 8 hours and am not super impressed yet. I mean it's fun, but I'm not convinced that it's perfect score from countless publications fun.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Whining about Breath of the Wild? Go on, I'm quite curious. I have played it for about 8 hours and am not super impressed yet. I mean it's fun, but I'm not convinced that it's perfect score from countless publications fun.
I'm just disappointed by the lack of traditional Zelda dungeons in BOTW. The two "dungeon" bosses I completed so far offered no challenge. The regular enemies are more challenging than the bosses. It is still an epic adventure.

I wanted to add Super Mario 64 to my list.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Mario World: it's the map that does it for me, it really inspired me as a kid, but best of all I didn't own it so I've got that "didn't own first time round" feeling that probably isn't real.

Turrican 2: the first love game. Showed me a giant, fluid world when other systems couldn't. Way ahead of its time. A metroid-like game on the Amiga.

Good points about Super Mario World! Agreed on both accounts (never had a SNES so was absolutely fascinated by it). I'd also say Yoshi was a great addition.

Great call about Turrican as well! I was thinking about my Amiga500 times (at friends houses, lol) and there were so many good games around, but Turrican definitely stood out among a few others.

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Ultima V (Apple ][ ) - Keeping track of maps, journals, quests was an epic rpg that I still remember fondly
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (gba) - Just an all around great game I play regularly.
Mass Effect 2 (PC) - I got so immersed in this one great characters and universe to run around in
Far Cry 4 (PS 4 )- Favourite Ubisoft open world style game. Although Watch Dogs 2 is close, I love the carnage in FC4.
Uncharted 4 (PS 4) - The perfect ending to a phenomenal series. I loved all of them but 4's scenery, action and story were top notch.

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Final Fantasy VII
Donkey Kong Country
The Last of Us
Nier
Resident Evil 4

Some honorable mentions. Phoenix Wright series, GoldenEye, Bioshock Infinite.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
GTAV
Dead Space 1/2
Gran Turismo (any version)
Doom
Call of Duty 4

Dead Space 1 was good, Dead Space 2 was excellent, Dead Space 3 flopped unfortunately. But the first two were very good and similar to Doom, which I always enjoyed.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I had a hard time leaving Super Mario World off this list. I can play that game forever I think.
[doublepost=1489853870][/doublepost]
Dead Space 1 was good, Dead Space 2 was excellent, Dead Space 3 flopped unfortunately. But the first two were very good and similar to Doom, which I always enjoyed.

100% agree about Dead Space series. Dead Space 3 was Bro Space 3. I just wanted to get it over with. Such a let down after the first 2, which I absolutely loved playing in the dark with the surround sound cranked. Hilarious to watch my cat fly out of the room when a loud and startling sound erupts. I played the first one so much I actually unlocked all of the achievements on the Xbox 360 for it, which I've only done with like 4 games total I think.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
http://kotaku.com/1793265962

(20%off right now...) Really looking forward to this one since it was the last one to hit the Amiga (not 100% sure about The Dig) and I only played the very beginning of it. I do remember it was fairly easy compared to the predecessors but one of the last true point n click Lucas Arts gems.

I'm a huge fan of LucasArt's point-n-click adventures. Day of the Tentacle is up there with my favorites as well, as is Sam&Max Hit the Road. But Full Throttle took the cake cause of the soundtrack and exceptional writing. I never actually played The Dig or any of the Money Island games, but i've been meaning to get into the latter... but life and stuff get in the way haha. I still have them on my Mac via ScummVM.

I noticed DotT got a remaster as well recently. I might consider getting the remasters if they make it to the Switch.

Cheers

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
There's only one game that I truly miss playing. It's Unreal Tournament. I always played online with the sniper rifle only mod. That game had very fun playable team game modes and a truly amazing set of community contributed maps with some absolutely enormous maps that kept adding new dimensions to the game years after the game was discontinued in favor of newer editions.

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Super Mario 64 is up there for the nostalgia factor alone. Controls and graphics are weird by today's standards, but that game is fun to complete 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.