Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I'm amazed at how hot Intel Macbooks run after using my M1 MBP for a while. The slightest little thing sends their fans into hurricane mode.
iStat can be revealing like that for sure. Just movement on trackpad, empty Desktop, taxes this C2D with additional 3% CPU use. Don't have to tell you what happens for anything outside of this event.

Shh

Suspended
Jul 28, 2022
Scorched Earth, Arizona
My AirPod Pros. I love them, but they seem to break rather easily. Hopefully when I replace them with the new version, they last longer before I have to replace the buds. I'm glad Apple Care exists.

Shh

Suspended
Jul 28, 2022
Scorched Earth, Arizona
Magic Mouse, complete garbage.
You don't like being unable to use your mouse while it's charging?

200w.gif

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Well, it did come with the old G5 iMac, but was purchasable separately...the Mighty Mouse. I burned through uncountable exchanges whilst under warranty, after that could disassemble/ clean them blindfolded. Some fluff would literally stop the ball from rolling. I honestly don't miss the MM for one second.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
1. Apple pencil, first generation. It just never worked at all.
I think mine worked just fine, but I am not sure. I hardly ever used it.

Everything else have been great to incredible purchases from Power Mac 7200 to Mac Studio and in between.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
My very first Mac, a 13-inch mid-2009 MBP. I wasn't very well versed on Macs & Mac specs at the time and got the base config (2.26GHz/2GB RAM/160GB HDD). It did well enough for a while--absolutely loved the screen--but after whatever OS update, it really started to slow down. Wasn't sure whether the HD was starting to go or the memory was starting to become a major bottleneck, but it eventually got to the point where it was barely usable (and it wouldn't be until I got my M2 Air that I had a MB with a screen as good).

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
My worst Apple purchase was buying the 13" MacBook Pro M1 with 8 GB with the main factor being I should had bought 16 GB of memory. I also more of a desktop person, so I bought the Studio Max with 64 GB (Yeah, I could had gotten buy with 32 GB but I wanted to go big).

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
iPhone 6. I picked one up on release planning on replacing my 5S. Lucky for me I kept my 5S because after using the 6 for a month I sold it and went back to my 5S. It offered an unnoticeable increase in performance and I preferred the design of the 5S better. The 6S was the phone the 6 should of been.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Any Apple mouse, but on the bright side, never one with a charging port on the bottom. (Buying a trackpad these days would have been a much better choice in comparison)

We also spent way too much on a black Macbook back in 2008... specs were fine, but it was thick, heavy, and felt and sounded like it was going to crack apart anytime I opened the screen. At least it never did...

Reactions: GalileoSeven

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I got a base model 2012 Mac mini and it was the worst Mac that I ever owned and I have 68k Performas. It was slow and unreliable, I am convinced that it was a dud, I even maxed out the ram and added an SSD and it was still a clunker. I still have it in a stack somewhere.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
iPhone 7. I wanted a more ergonomic phone (versus the Plus models), but the battery life sucked, and 4.7” was way too small for watching videos.

Also, my iPod Classic was definitely a lemon, I was just too young to realize it at the time. It would freeze when trying to play a song, then skip forward 10 songs, on repeat.

scottrngr

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2015
The HomePod mini. I like the color, but hate that it is tethered to a USB port, and not blue tooth. The sound isn't very impressive either.

hansmoleman

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
Probably the PowerBook 5300. First it was dead out of the box, and then the replacement was recalled due to fire risk. Yay....?

Second would've been the original PowerBook G3 Series (Wall Street) ... was fast as hell, but had overheating problems, and a loose display cable. Just had to top it in exactly the right spot by the left speaker when the display wigged out.

Otherwise, my Macs have pretty much all been solid.

iAFC

Suspended
Sep 24, 2005
Western Civilization
You don't like being unable to use your mouse while it's charging?

200w.gif
I wish this was the only problem with that mouse. Just to think of it, my hand is already aching.
Other than their terrible mice, I hated the Watch S0. Felt like (and you could say it was indeed) a beta product on my wrist. Waste of money. At least I didn't get the gold model lol.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
1. Apple pencil, first generation. It just never worked at all.

2. MacBook Pro 15", 2017 (I think), loaded. Stage lights struck it down and it's never recovered. I doubt I can even give it away.
There's a new type of repair being done by third party shops. Before they just run some jump cables in order to solve the stage lights issue, but now they are splicing together 2 original cables in order to have a new one with the appropriate length. Seems a reliable repair and worth to try if you have a full specs Mac.

Reactions: monokakata

The_Auryn

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2020
iPad Mini 3. Two weeks after getting it, I upgraded from iPhone 5S to 6S+. I never touched the Mini again.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I'm amazed at how hot Intel Macbooks run after using my M1 MBP for a while. The slightest little thing sends their fans into hurricane mode.

Meanwhile my M1 MBP's fans don't even turn on at all unless I fire up something that loads the CPU for more than a few minutes! I love seeing "0 rpm" in iStat for both fans, also knowing that they're not sucking dust through the machine constantly.

I've not really had issues with my 16" Intel MBP, but I don't connect a monitor to it and that model was very much TC directing the engineers to build something that didn't suck to hold people over until the M1s came out.

iPhone 6. I picked one up on release planning on replacing my 5S. Lucky for me I kept my 5S because after using the 6 for a month I sold it and went back to my 5S. It offered an unnoticeable increase in performance and I preferred the design of the 5S better. The 6S was the phone the 6 should of been.

This would be my choice, but for different reasons. I was coming from an iPhone 4, so the speed boost was great, but I bought at launch, which meant the TLC issue was a problem for me since I had a 64GB 6. Combine that with iOS 8 being a buggy pile of crap and the first year with that phone was *terrible*. The battery was down to 81% by the end of the first year as well, so I had to pay someone to swap it out.

It got less bad with iOS 9, but I still jumped to a 7+ as soon as I could and never looked back.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I was underwhelmed by my Apple IIe. The DuoDisk buzzed something fierce. And it really sucked that I had to load ProDos from floppy every time I booted up. But hey, I upgraded to 128 KB so it was a monster of a machine. Stellar 7 was wicked fun on it.

• Haha
Reactions: bradl and Lioness~

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I mentioned the Mighty (not very) Mouse already.

Attached to this was a 20" G5 iMac, bought 2006. Whilst awesome for the first couple years, the advent of Intel change over turned it into a hot and slow mess. Of course I'm leaving out all the endless times going head to head with the side loading Superdrive and its stubborn refusal to return CDs.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Tough choice:
- Black MacBook. The dreaded cracking top case. Went through like 5 replacements before Apple bought it back
- HomePod mini: what a POS. Sorry. Siri is infuriaring.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I would say the iPod touch 6th generation. It did have poor battery life. However to be fair to the device it wasn’t bad for what it was just not needed at the time as I already had an iPhone and ipad. I returned it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.