Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
MBP 15" 2018..paid €5000 for an i9 6-cores, 32GB, 1tb SSD, Vega 20.. what a waste of money.

Reactions: pete1

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
Do elaborate?
The i9 used to run insanely hot. It was not a good deal for the money.
Today (without considering inflation) you can buy a Mac Studio + studio display or a MacBook Pro 16” + Studio Display for the same money.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Do elaborate?

I also have that computer. It does run very hot. I'm also on my third logic board due to battery swelling. The latest logic board introduced more disconnects of external drives when waking from sleep.

I have enjoyed the machine, but it is a pretty poor piece of tech.

Macral

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
2017 MacBook Pro 15-inch. The usual issues like keyboard then battery swelling. Brought it to Apple, they agreed to replace the battery. Got a new top case and keyboard as well.
I actually love that laptop due to its lightness and thinness. I prefer a bigger screen without the bulk,

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
2016 Macbook. Keyboard replaced twice (And was in for a third repair), display replaced once, and the display is now failing again (Connector issue I assume), the dongle show has been hell since they either fail quickly or just not work properly, the keyboard isn't very good to type on, and the machine was sort of slow when I bought and extremely slow now.

I freaking love the design, but man, the number of issues with that machine..

Edit: Oh, and the screws keeps comming out of the bottom, meaning I have to screw them back in repeadedly. Swelling battery? Perhaps. But it is waaay to expensive to get it replaced for keeping this machine alive.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I think my worst Apple purchase was this.

577212ddc4ed1d41f9948e4a233fe4ae.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: minik and rebel1

JosepPont

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Albaida, Valencian Country
iPad Air 4th gen. Screen sometimes unresponsive and when plug it to the TV via genuine HDMI adapter the video pauses continuously like if the internet connection is too slow (I have simetric 500Gbps, far enough to play video at 1080p). Apple does not bring me a solution.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Have to go with the Apple Pencil Mk 1.
  1. Rolls off the desk (they make hexagonal pencils for a reason, folks, and they're much cheaper to replace)
  2. No thought given to how you store it with your iPad.
  3. Stupid charging position that invites damage to both the pencil and the iPad
  4. Tiny cap to lose while its charging - can't even store it on the other end of the pencil like a cheap biro
  5. If you want to charge it with a cable, you need a tiny adapter (just asking to be lost) as well as the cap
  6. ...and this is the real deal-breaker... non-removable battery and no off switch so if you leave it unused for too long the battery discharges completely and permanently bricks the Pencil. Although, if it hadn't been for 1-5 I might have used mine more and not left it to go flat.
The aggravating factor is that these weren't necessary kludges to make it work with older iPads and phones: it only worked with the (then) latest iPad Pro - so why on earth didn't they either (a) include an inductive digitiser (as present on Wacom tablets and Samsung Note tablets/phones - no power needed in the stylus) or (b) design the Pencil to attach to the brand new "smart connector" solving the storage & power problems in one go?

So, while I can see that the Tragic Mouse's stupid charging arrangement came about because it was based on an existing AA-powered device tweaked to have a fixed rechargeable battery, the Pencil takes the biscuit because it sprang from a clean slate (just in a different silo to the iPad it was supposed to work with)... and at least the mouse has an off switch.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
13-inch retina MacBook Pro, the display scaling is one of the worst I have ever seen and it's very low resolution. After a few days of use, I gave it to my sister.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Got another one! Multitude of OEM iPhone charging cables. 3rd party cables better reinforced but "lose" support after a few SW updates.

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
I do the research before purchasing anything so I haven't had a 'bad' purchase, but some things are just not worth it. I wouldn't spend money on AirPods if they weren't gifted to me. They last about a year and a half before the batteries are shot which is a scam with that price tag. The Apple Pencil is also too much for what it is, imo - there's cheaper options that do the same, but I'm happy with mine and wouldn't call it a bad purchase, just wouldn't purchase again since now I'm aware there's other options.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Honestly can't say I've been underwhelmed by any Apple product in my 17 years (not counting my childhood with a IIGS) of being an Apple user, including my AirPods Max. The only downside for me with the AirPods Max is that if I walk with them on, I can feel a low-frequency "thud" in my ears for every step I take which is very distracting. Doesn't happen with my AirPods Pros. But they feel great on my head (which is not small) and I love using them for watching TV or playing video games.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
The worst thing I ever bought was the puck mouse that came with my G3 Blue/White PowerMac. That was the worst mouse in the universe.

Over 20 years later Apple still haven't made a single decent traditional mouse that doesn't turn your hand into an aching wreck after 5 minutes.

Sorry you have hand issues that prevent you from using Apple mice. Been using Apple mice for many years with zero pain.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I haven't had great luck with their mice. Of the two Magic Mice that have replaceable batteries, one just stopped working. The rechargeable one had an annoying bug (that I've seen others report) that clicking on it triggers a slight scrolling. I think it sensed the position of the finger pad as being at a different spot when it expanded under pressure.

I don't blame Apple for the shape, though. I prefer a taller mouse, but many people don't. I also didn't find them hard to click. I didn't have any pain issues.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I can't say it was actually a "bad" machine per se, but it still royally p!ssed me off.

It was 2002 and I wanted to replace my 12" iBook G3 because it was too slow for video encoding. I wanted to get a 12" PowerBook G4 with DVD burner because it was the perfect form factor for me and the G4 would offer the speed boost I needed, and it would be nice to have a DVD burner wherever I went. But guys and gals like you lot told me Apple wouldn't release such a beast, as 12" wasn't a "power user" machine. It was meant for coffee shops and students. I was convinced Apple would released a 12" G4 but Mac geeks at the time said I was foolish to hope for that anytime soon.

In November 2002, Apple released yet another 15" G4 PowerBook Titanium. It had the SuperDrive I wanted, but there was no 12" G4 model to be seen. I was dejected, and resigned myself to buying that machine, admitting that you Mac geeks were right.

Then just 2 months later, Apple released the 12" G4 PowerBook with SuperDrive. TWO FRICKIN' MONTHS!!! 🤬

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Gudi

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I was underwhelmed by my Apple IIe. The DuoDisk buzzed something fierce. And it really sucked that I had to load ProDos from floppy every time I booted up. But hey, I upgraded to 128 KB so it was a monster of a machine. Stellar 7 was wicked fun on it.

I'm with you on that one.. I mean, it was great when you could reset the IIe with Ctrl - Open Apple - Reset.. But when you tried Ctrl - Closed Apple - Reset, and got those god awful screeching sounds that sounded like a poor man's Level 1 diagnostic.. I knew I had to return that ****. I could have got better use out of the Keyboard Component to the Intellivision. 🤪

But I did get a killer game of Karateka out of it, and I never died of Dysentery. 😁

BL.

• Haha
Reactions: svenmany
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.