Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vtboyarc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Does anyone have any idea when YouTube might add HDR support for the iPhone X?
It seems the only way at the moment I can watch HDR content on my iPhone X is by spending money on a movie from iTunes, and apparently Netflix works with it.
But YouTube support for HDR on the X would be amazing. I know they have it for the latest Samsung phones

Reactions: Jetcat3

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
They won’t and at least won’t be in a hurry to support it because they would rather you buy an android phone.

Reactions: Vermifuge

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Are the trailers on iTunes for Wonder Woman 4K HDR? They look pretty dang amazing on the X.

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
Are the trailers on iTunes for Wonder Woman 4K HDR? They look pretty dang amazing on the X.
So far I watched one HDR movie on iTunes, a few TV shows in HDR on Netflix. They don’t look any different from regular videos to me.

Obviously when you watch a comercial for HDR and they show you a comparison, it looks very different but only because they are deliberately making the regular image look bad.

Even from an intellectual perspective, HDR doesn’t make much sense to me, I don’t see how it should work, since the physical contrast ratio of the screen doesn’t change. The only thing they can do is change the tone mapping, or the gamma curve a bit, but with only 8bit color to work with, I don’t think it should make much of a difference.

And yes the iPhone X screen is still 8 bit. Maybe there will be a more noticeable difference when we get more bit depth.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
So far I watched one HDR movie on iTunes, a few TV shows in HDR on Netflix. They don’t look any different from regular videos to me.

Obviously when you watch a comercial for HDR and they show you a comparison, it looks very different but only because they are deliberately making the regular image look bad.

Even from an intellectual perspective, HDR doesn’t make much sense to me, I don’t see how it should work, since the physical contrast ratio of the screen doesn’t change. The only thing they can do is change the tone mapping, or the gamma curve a bit, but with only 8bit color to work with, I don’t think it should make much of a difference.

And yes the iPhone X screen is still 8 bit. Maybe there will be a more noticeable difference when we get more bit depth.
That's pretty much it. If the X screen is only 8-bit, we're not gonna see a big difference. 10-bit is the minimum for HDR and not even ideal. 12-bit is the future of it, but there are no mainstream TVs with 12-bit panels yet. Also, for visible HDR highlights the brightness of 1000 nits is recommended. The X is less than that, but still on par with some good HDR TVs.

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
That's pretty much it. If the X screen is only 8-bit, we're not gonna see a big difference. 10-bit is the minimum for HDR and not even ideal. 12-bit is the future of it, but there are no mainstream TVs with 12-bit panels yet. Also, for visible HDR highlights the brightness of 1000 nits is recommended. The X is less than that, but still on par with some good HDR TVs.

1000 nits is recommended for LCD displays. OLED displays require lower because they can show absolute black (infinite contrast).

The X screen is 10 bit, which is one requirement for showing HDR content. You are smoking crack. Please send me some.

Does anyone have any idea when YouTube might add HDR support for the iPhone X?
It seems the only way at the moment I can watch HDR content on my iPhone X is by spending money on a movie from iTunes, and apparently Netflix works with it.
But YouTube support for HDR on the X would be amazing. I know they have it for the latest Samsung phones

iOS devices don't support VP9.2 so you will not be able to play Youtube HDR videos, unfortunately.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
1000 nits is recommended for LCD displays. OLED displays require lower because they can show absolute black (infinite contrast).

The X screen is 10 bit, which is one requirement for showing HDR content. You are smoking crack. Please send me some.

iOS devices don't support VP9.2 so you will not be able to play Youtube HDR videos, unfortunately.

"The iPhone X supports both Dolby Vision and the HDR-10 standard. There's content for it in iTunes' movies and TV stores, but there aren't many other places to get it yet. Of course, a key component of those standards is mastering content in 12- or 10-bit color. The iPhone X’s screen is still only 8-bit, which is what you expect from SDR.

Apple claims that some kind of software wizardry is in play to use the 10-bit information in a file and render it on an 8-bit display in a way that is superior to just working with 8-bit content. I’m not sure what to make of that; there’s only so much you can do when the hardware is limited to 8-bit color. But Apple hasn’t gone public with details here."

source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/iphone-x-review-early-adopting-the-future/6/#h1

Reactions: 0928001

vtboyarc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011

Aww man, what? That stinks. So basically stuck with Netflix and paying the high price for movies on iTunes. Ugh

Last edited:

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
"The iPhone X supports both Dolby Vision and the HDR-10 standard. There's content for it in iTunes' movies and TV stores, but there aren't many other places to get it yet. Of course, a key component of those standards is mastering content in 12- or 10-bit color. The iPhone X’s screen is still only 8-bit, which is what you expect from SDR.

Apple claims that some kind of software wizardry is in play to use the 10-bit information in a file and render it on an 8-bit display in a way that is superior to just working with 8-bit content. I’m not sure what to make of that; there’s only so much you can do when the hardware is limited to 8-bit color. But Apple hasn’t gone public with details here."

source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/iphone-x-review-early-adopting-the-future/6/#h1

Thanks, I stand corrected. Thought a 10bit panel was required to show proper HDR. Reminds me of all those 8 bit TV's that have HDR compatibility but can't show it. I assumed all OLED panels that were HDR compatible were 10 bit.

Then again, I have an OLED TV that IS 10 bit and I remember watching a Netflix movie on the X and thinking it wasn't near as good.

TheKDub

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
Was just shopping around for a new TV and found a good article that cleared my finally cleared up my confusion about HDR and the differences between 8-bit, 10-bit, wide color gamut, HDR 10 vs Dolby Vision, etc. (see below link) I'm thinking phone screens follow the same principles.

Not sure if the iPhone X screen has been tested, but I am curious if the OLED screen has a wider color gamut than other phone screens out there? If the screen is 8-bit, than I don't see how it supports HDR 10 since if certain color combination can't be shown, i don't see how you can "fake it".

http://4k.com/everything-you-need-t...dr-wide-color-gamut-and-10-bit-color-16970-2/

Reactions: SmugMaverick

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC

Many HDR TVs nowadays have 8-bit panels, but they are all advertised as 10-bit. That trick is called dithering. My assumption is that the X can pass for that as well.
[doublepost=1510782925][/doublepost]
Was just shopping around for a new TV and found a good article that cleared my finally cleared up my confusion about HDR and the differences between 8-bit, 10-bit, wide color gamut, HDR 10 vs Dolby Vision, etc. (see below link) I'm thinking phone screens follow the same principles.

Not sure if the iPhone X screen has been tested, but I am curious if the OLED screen has a wider color gamut than other phone screens out there? If the screen is 8-bit, than I don't see how it supports HDR 10 since if certain color combination can't be shown, i don't see how you can "fake it".

http://4k.com/everything-you-need-t...dr-wide-color-gamut-and-10-bit-color-16970-2/
It can easily fake it as many TVs do. The X does support wide color gamut. Wide color gamut has nothing to do with 8 or 10-bit panels. It can be supported by either. 8-bit vs 10-bit is related to the lack of color banding: 8-bit experiences noticeable color banding. Many TVs have 8-bit panels. However, they are advertised as 10-bit due to dithering used by manufacturers.

Kent01

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
Massachusetts
Here's to hoping that Apple and Google can figure out a way to convert their format to display on the X. I honestly think that the screen is too small to notice an appreciable difference. After watching some HDR shows on Netflix and rewatching then on SDR I can't justify spending a few bucks more a month for the Netflix premium plan.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Here's to hoping that Apple and Google can figure out a way to convert their format to display on the X. I honestly think that the screen is too small to notice an appreciable difference. After watching some HDR shows on Netflix and rewatching then on SDR I can't justify spending a few bucks more a month for the Netflix premium plan.
Google want everybody to support VP9. Until Apple does we won’t get 4K or HDR YouTube video support on phones or Apple TV.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I recently watched The Martian in iTunes on my iPhone X. It looked amazing to me on the HDR OLED display. Granted, I have no way to turn on/off HDR and see what the difference is, and perhaps just the fact that it is OLED is providing most of the improvement. Who knows.

What I do know is that the color and contrast of Mars really popped on the iPhone X display, and the deep black of space was perfect. I definitely felt like there were significant visual improvements compared to non-HDR displays that I own.

The Martian will be the movie I use to show off the display on my new phone, if anyone wants to see what it can do.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Not sure if they trailers are but they have the 4K HDR for rent. I rented Mad Max last night before bed and and it was beautiful to watch.

When you rent movies do you have it for a certain time period allowing you to watch it as many times you want or do you lose it once you watch it? Thanks

happyguy82

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2013

Is that a confusion between the iPhone X and 8? I know the iPhone 8 doesn't have a HDR screen but supports HDR-10 and Dolby Vision. Maybe this wizardry is what is used for the 8?

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Google doesn't have much incentive to update Youtube quickly for HDR support on their biggest competitor. Might happen, but doubt that's a huge selling point for YouTube Red

happyguy82

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2013

Yes they are. I have just tried a few myself. If you try a trailer with more indoor scenes you'll notice the picture is a lot darker than what you would see with SDR. On Wonder Woman you'll want to forward to the end where there are some scenes in London. Don't play Baby Driver as that's all outdoors. Try Transformers The Last Night.

Basically if the scenes are very dark then it's HDR. If you play the same on a normal screen the same scenes will be very bright.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK

Not true. It's all about peak brightness, which is measured in nits. SDR content is generally around 150-200 nits, but HDR content is mastered to 1000 or even 4000 nits. Of course no TV can reach anywhere near 4000 nits yet, but as HDR TVs get brighter, the content is already waiting to go. Take for example the current king of TVs, the LG OLEDs, they max out at around 700 nits. That a heck of a lot brighter than SDR content can ever reach.

It's also worth pointing out that HDR isn't about just making everything very bright (although some poorly mastered HDR content sadly does just that). It's about highlights and light sources. Watch the recently renewed released ET on UHD BD for a good example. Or Blade Runner on UHD BD. (avoid the iTunes version, as the encode is horribly broken)

You're right about those SDR to HDR comparison marketing images though. Those things are laughable.

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
8 bit vs 10 bit display:

Coming from the TV world, As an example of why this may not matter -- The 2015 Sony 75x940c has an 8bit screen, however, between dithering and the Full Array Local Dimming backlight, the screen produces some of the best HDR images possible.

The iPhone X is an OLED, and is capable of true 0nit black, and almost 700nit white, a wide color gamut, and contrast which far exceeds HDR requirements. Without a doubt, the screen is capable of producing respectable HDR.

Re Youtube / Google VP9.2:

Google has unfortunately been very customer unfriendly here. As an example again using the 2015 Sony 75x940c. This screen was sold for ~$7000 when new, and was the flagship Sony TV at the time. It was the best "Android TV" money could buy. It is clearly capable of beautiful HDR with Netflix and Amazon. The screen supports VP9, but apparently google didn't think it was important to make sure that the VP9 decoder chips could handle VP9.2. Google didn't think it was worthwhile to make sure to support HDR on a top-of-the-line Android TV. As far as they are concerned, this is the consumer's problem, not theirs.

With that said, it's not impossible to imagine that one day Youtube HDR will be supported on the iPhone X ... The CPU is more than capable of decoding VP9.2 in software, but it's hard to guess what google is going to do. They might not want to have reduced battery life for software decoders. They might not want to support it at all on an iPhone. They might want to try and force VP9.2 support (so they can obsolete it in a year with VP9.3). They also might decide to give in and support H.265 like everyone else.

Also, Netflix did a major study comparing VP9.2 to H.265, and found that ultimately, H.265 is a superior codec. Google is just being cheap to avoid paying licensing fees.

As much as I am annoyed by a lack of a feature, I think Apple is 100% right here by taking a stand with Google on VP9.2 support. A major part of why video has flourished so well in recent years is because everyone agreed to the same standard: h.264.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
Sadly another casualty in the VP9 battle is YouTube on the Apple TV. Now this app has a LOT of problems, chiefly that it hasn't been updated since the Apple TV 2 days. In addition to the ugly bare bones UI, the lack of VP9 means no 4K and no HDR (which I believe is in HLG format on YouTube).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.