Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happyguy82

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2013
YouTube doesn't support HDR on iOS (yet). Netflix and iTunes does but the former only has HDR content for their original TV series. For HDR movies, the only source right now is iTunes.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
So what’s the best movie on iTunes to showcase the OLED? Most movies on HDR?

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Man Youtube app first needs to let you have a custom zoom. Right now you either have a small view or zoomed in right past the notch. It doesn’t let you zoom up to the notch so that you get a bigger view but the video doesn’t get cut-off by the notch.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
What I don't understand is iPhone owners make fun of Samsung OLED displays for over saturation and colors that pop too much and prefer realistic colors the iPhone displays have but as soon as Apple creates a phone that is capable of viewing HDR, it's "OMG! This movie looks sooo amazing because the colors pop out of the screen and blacks are soooo deep!" So many hyporcrits.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
What I don't understand is iPhone owners make fun of Samsung OLED displays for over saturation and colors that pop too much and prefer realistic colors the iPhone displays have but as soon as Apple creates a phone that is capable of viewing HDR, it's "OMG! This movie looks sooo amazing because the colors pop out of the screen and blacks are soooo deep!" So many hyporcrits.

You're confusing artificially boosted color profiles that Samsung custom creates that push colors way outside normalities, with ACTUAL wider color gamuts and color reproduction that OLED as a technology allows.

Last edited:

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
Not true. It's all about peak brightness, which is measured in nits. SDR content is generally around 150-200 nits, but HDR content is mastered to 1000 or even 4000 nits. Of course no TV can reach anywhere near 4000 nits yet, but as HDR TVs get brighter, the content is already waiting to go. Take for example the current king of TVs, the LG OLEDs, they max out at around 700 nits. That a heck of a lot brighter than SDR content can ever reach.

It's also worth pointing out that HDR isn't about just making everything very bright (although some poorly mastered HDR content sadly does just that). It's about highlights and light sources. Watch the recently renewed released ET on UHD BD for a good example. Or Blade Runner on UHD BD. (avoid the iTunes version, as the encode is horribly broken)

You're right about those SDR to HDR comparison marketing images though. Those things are laughable.
There is nothing stopping me from playing HDR content on a screen that has a high peak brightness.

The real benefits come from the ability to display details in deep shadow while also having very bright spots on the same screen. But that requires higher bit depth, which the iPhone X does not have. However we don't know if it has dithering or temporal dither to simulate higher bit depth. I haven't been able to see a significant difference myself.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Over-saturation and HDR is not the same thing... you seem confused.

DareDevil01

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2016
Over-saturation and HDR is not the same thing... you seem confused.
Actually I totally understand what he's saying. I have come across many people who talk about how oversaturated the displays are on even the recent Galaxy devices despite those devices being rated as having very high color accuracy by DisplayMate. I suppose it's subjective though. Have you seen a recent Samsung device next to an older iPhone then next to the iPhone X? Some people say the iPhone X is oversaturated in comparison to the 8, others say that the 8 just looks washed out. FWIW Samsung has had display modes in the settings menu that offer sRGB if people are looking for the utmost color accuracy. However, I prefer the standard profile on the S8+ especially when watching HDR content. Supposedly the iPhone X switches between color profiles automagically depending on the content. Good stuff.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Vimeo has a few great HDR videos on it. I just watched these on my X last night and they were jaw-dropping.

New York

Australia

They play in HDR in the Vimeo app and in Safari.

To get the maximum wow factor from these, go into a dimly lit room, and crank the display brightness up high. The New York app shows night scenes of the City later in the video which are stunning.

You can find a few others in Vimeo but it takes some searching. They haven't categorized them yet and in the app they are not labeled HDR (but you can tell they are). I found these by searching for "HDR" and limiting to videos uploaded in the last year. Note that HDR can mean a few different things, such as post-processing for dramatic effect, which is not true HDR. The ones I posted above are true HDR.

Reactions: D.T. and kirk.vino

savagewatts

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Vimeo has a few great HDR videos on it. I just watched these on my X last night and they were jaw-dropping.

New York

Australia

To get the maximum wow factor from these, go into a dimly lit room, and crank the display brightness up high. The New York app shows night scenes of the City later in the video which are stunning.

You can find a few others in Vimeo but it takes some searching. They haven't categorized them yet and in the app they are not labeled HDR (but you can tell they are). I found these by searching for "HDR" and limiting to videos uploaded in the last year. Note that HDR can mean a few different things, such as post-processing for dramatic effect, which is not true HDR. The ones I posted above are true HDR.

These were awesome, thanks for posting.

arcturuz

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008

New York

Australia

very nice on the ipx

but i can only select up to 720p ?

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
very nice on the ipx

but i can only select up to 720p ?

I just played it again and don’t see a resolution option at all. Just starts playing a little pixelated at first and then gets super sharp when the stream catches up.

Make sure you are on WiFi with good speeds.

arcturuz

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
I just played it again and don’t see a resolution option at all. Just starts playing a little pixelated at first and then gets super sharp when the stream catches up.

Make sure you are on WiFi with good speeds.

i played in on safari initially and there was the resolution option

downloaded the vimeo app thereafter and the videos were sharper without any resolution option

Reactions: redman042

calabi-yau

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
Related: do you guys know if the 2017 iPad Pros have the same 8-bit display the iPhone X does, or is the iPad's fully 10-bit?

My Google-fu is failing me.

WhiteHawk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008

Congratulations on one stupid comment, clearly you don’t know how these things work, or that these are two separate things entirely. Maybe you should have ended your troll rant after the first four words.
[doublepost=1513730796][/doublepost]

New York

Australia

This is the problem though, how do you really know those videos are sending a HDR signal to the iPhone X screen? Unlike a HDR TV there is no indicator that pops on the screen like a logo or message telling you the display is receiving HDR content. Those two videos are great but one of the first videos I saw was the one linked below which is a YouTube video which I think looks even better and put a smile on my face because it really showed how good the iPhone X screen is.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Congratulations on one stupid comment, clearly you don’t know how these things work, or that these are two separate things entirely. Maybe you should have ended your troll rant after the first four words.
[doublepost=1513730796][/doublepost]

This is the problem though, how do you really know those videos are sending a HDR signal to the iPhone X screen? Unlike a HDR TV there is no indicator that pops on the screen like a logo or message telling you the display is receiving HDR content. Those two videos are great but one of the first videos I saw was the one linked below which is a YouTube video which I think looks even better and put a smile on my face because it really showed how good the iPhone X screen is.

Wow, that looks insane. This display is so amazing!

Reactions: WhiteHawk

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
My samsung galaxy s8 has an aweome ddisplay too. But, seen an iPhone X in the store, had few secs to look at it, and saw It again... The display looked printed, as there is no glass and the icons are floating. Love it.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008

I agree the lack of an indicator is frustrating. I fully expect that YouTube, Vimeo, and others will eventually update their apps to indicate HDR better once they have enough HDR content to be able to tout that feature more.
[doublepost=1513894001][/doublepost]
the more dark scenes the better. just play the trailers, find a good one and use that to showcase the HDR :)

Agreed. And I'll add to watch those scenes in a dark room, while cranking up the display brightness to at least 3/4 if not full. With OLED + HDR, you will see VERY bright city lights against a PERFECTLY black night sky background (if you choose the right video). It really shows off what the display can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.