Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Thanks for starting this!

Before I post, let's agree that by definition there are going to be spoilers in this thread, so

**Read at Your Own Risk!**

Maybe people can identify at the top of their post if it will be a *minor* or *major* spoiler, or even better yet, obscure any major spoilers, so people can still enjoy the game on their own?
[doublepost=1488817249][/doublepost]Not really a spoiler, just happened to hit the screen shot button at the right time...if you don't want to see a real spectacular death of Link, do *not* click the link

https://twitter.com/Lone_Beagle/status/838784975159742465

Reactions: MRU

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I got chased down last night (while on horseback) and one-shot with a club. Flopped off my horse and died. It was eye-opening :)

Also, I'm afraid to lose my horse now that I have it. I keep looking for stables to tie it up while I do other things.

Reactions: blesscheese

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Spoiler: Link can jump in BOTW :p

This is great. I don't usually read any guide or spoiler reviews on titles I care for, but this being an enormous open world I think I'm going to need an occasional hand-holding. I've actually been watching my son play. I'm going to start my own save game soon.

Reactions: blesscheese and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Spoiler: Link can jump in BOTW :p

This is great. I don't usually read any guide or spoiler reviews on titles I care for, but this being an enormous open world I think I'm going to need an occasional hand-holding. I've actually been watching my son play. I'm going to start my own save game soon.

Oh yeah, it never occurred to me until you said it that you couldn't manually jump before ....

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Loving it so far. :D

I was really bummed out when I got the idea that I could axe down a tree to cross a canyon but that lazy Link, who climbs literally everywhere else, wouldn't climb onto it. took me really long to figure it out, lol.

I'm playing mostly blind (no youtube, no guides etc.) with minimized hud. But after receiving the paraglider got a bit afraid that I'd have to walk some really long *** way if I'd jump into the blue (=wrong direction) before I got a horse. So glanced at the map where the next waypoint roughly is ;)

Btw. can horses break apart? ;)

Loving it so far. Even cooking is fun and I'm generally hating on those things (like playing the effing flute in Windwaker..). There could be more different enemies I guess (got a bit spoiled when I walked almost immediately into the big stone giant at the very start).

Reactions: MRU and blesscheese

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I got chased down last night (while on horseback) and one-shot with a club. Flopped off my horse and died. It was eye-opening :)

Also, I'm afraid to lose my horse now that I have it. I keep looking for stables to tie it up while I do other things.

The number of times I've been killed in one hit is beyond counting (and I'm not including the times I detonated a bomb when I was too close :) )
[doublepost=1488831208][/doublepost]
Oh yeah, it never occurred to me until you said it that you couldn't manually jump before ....

Well, you could also jump in Link's Awakening, but you had to get that ability in a dungeon...that is about the only time I can recall Link jumping.
[doublepost=1488831327][/doublepost]
Loving it so far. :D

I was really bummed out when I got the idea that I could axe down a tree to cross a canyon but that lazy Link, who climbs literally everywhere else, wouldn't climb onto it. took me really long to figure it out, lol.

I'm playing mostly blind (no youtube, no guides etc.) with minimized hud. But after receiving the paraglider got a bit afraid that I'd have to walk some really long *** way if I'd jump into the blue (=wrong direction) before I got a horse. So glanced at the map where the next waypoint rougly is ;)

Btw. can horses break apart? ;)

Loving it so far. Even cooking is fun and I'm generally hating on those things (like playing the effing flute in Windwaker..).

LOL, I think you played the effing "flute" in OoT, and you conducted the effing wind orchestra in Windwaker!

I agree, I normally get tired of cooking, alchemy, smithing in other games, but this cooking has the right amount of "difficulty" and applications. So far...

Reactions: MRU and twietee

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Ah you're right. I remember the effing flute in Ocarina. Wasn't a fan. ;)

Game is indeed taxing (for a Nintendo one that is..) got indeed OHK 3-4 times already on the plateau. Add to that a couple of 'death by accident' or 'death due stupidity' and it really adds up. :D

But still, love the plateau and could have done with a couple of more enemies. Maybe that comes later again when eventually revisiting, no idea. Also read about the dlc and the 08/17 one says something about another difficulty..

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Protip: When given the choice between hearts and stamina; take the hearts. You'll need them :)

At this point I'm basically traveling around in the directions of the main quests and veering off course if I see a shrine anywhere near me. Since shrines are basically portals to travel around quickly I've decided they are my main focus to obtain for now as this is a big map.

Got my first horse yesterday and got to the stables today. He's no longer wild and is registered. Named him 'Bowser' ha.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Protip: When given the choice between hearts and stamina; take the hearts. You'll need them :)

At this point I'm basically traveling around in the directions of the main quests and veering off course if I see a shrine anywhere near me. Since shrines are basically portals to travel around quickly I've decided they are my main focus to obtain for now as this is a big map.

Got my first horse yesterday and got to the stables today. He's no longer wild and is registered. Named him 'Bowser' ha.

I dunno, I was going to write in and say "Take the stamina..." My reasons...you can climb to a couple more places and take off with the paraglider, or (sometimes) find cool treasure on mountain peaks. Honestly, esp. in the beginning of the game, with some of the OHK's, 1 measly little heart isn't going to help a whole lot.

Got my first two horses...named the first one Apple, and then the second one Apple2 :) I guess next is Apple///, then Lisa, and then Macintosh? Then Powerbook, then Newton, then eMate...

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I dunno, I was going to write in and say "Take the stamina..."

Yea, when I got there I first thought: "Didn't the old man want those orbs from me? Too risky giving them to the lady."

Then: "Aw, Nintendo won't put in a trap like that into their games plus it's too hard to just keep chugging along without upping the stats now. Screw it: gimme that heart asap!"

Then "Hmmm, shouldn't I've gotten the stamina instead? Link can run/swim/whatever for ****. Such a weaklingk ;)"

---

Am I the only one that thinks stuff breaks too easily? Especially when I want to surf my shield (good fun, found out about it pretty late lol) and it breaks almost instantly. I don't mind the mechanic in general but a little bit more durability wouldn't be amiss.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro

If you've got the Link Smash amiibo, scan it to get Epona and go register her. A far better mount than what's available elsewhere.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
If you've got the Link Smash amiibo, scan it to get Epona and go register her. A far better mount than what's available elsewhere.

I don't (we only have a few amibos as we have nearly every disney infinity character unfortunately). But I may have to get it now :)

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Am I the only one that thinks stuff breaks too easily?

I guess even in Hyrule...they don't make stuff like they used to! :)

I've learned not to get too attached to stuff, especially my (wahh!)
first Eightfold Blade
that I broke too soon.

Minor spoiler update:
Just survived my first assassination attempt!

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Yes. Stuff breaks too easily. There needs to be a repair mechanic in here somewhere. At least one of my swords and bows I'd really like to have kept/fixed.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Btw. I've read that raiding lots of outposts makes the game harder / spawns more or harder enemies. I like that mechanic!

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Btw. I've read that raiding lots of outposts makes the game harder / spawns more or harder enemies. I like that mechanic!

If true, that's definitely a cool mechanic. I've stopped, for the time being, fighting random enemies as the rewards versus broken weapons doesn't justify it. Maybe when I have a bigger bag and can hold more backup weapons.....

Right now I'm quest lines and shrines versus exploring and fighting.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm finally venturing outside of the initial planes. Agree with everyone regarding how quickly stuff breaks. No wonder the world is in ruins, how the hell were buildings supposed to stand the test of time when a sword (which seems embedded in rock for decades before you pull it from it's rest) breaks after hitting a few measley bats ...

Blacksmiths and builders are clearly cowboys in Hyrule ....

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
Yes. Stuff breaks too easily. There needs to be a repair mechanic in here somewhere. At least one of my swords and bows I'd really like to have kept/fixed.

Agreed. The only thing that can be 'repaired' presently are the two Zora tridents, the Lightscale and the Ceremonial (the latter looks like the former but less durability and power) and both of those take a metric tonne of flint to have reforged.
[doublepost=1488929506][/doublepost]
I'm finally venturing outside of the initial planes. Agree with everyone regarding how quickly stuff breaks. No wonder the world is in ruins, how the hell were buildings supposed to stand the test of time when a sword (which seems embedded in rock for decades before you pull it from it's rest) breaks after hitting a few measley bats ...

Blacksmiths and builders are clearly cowboys in Hyrule ....

Sadly, I think the durability mechanic was put in as busy work. The Hyrule of BotW is enormous, but there aren't a many things to do outside main story locations, besides the occasional puzzle or investigation that uncovers a hiding Korok (which inexplicably plays into the inventory expansion system, as opposed to resource collection in Horizon, which I feel is the better way to go about it, since it's tied to experience via harvesting). So, you get to use the average weapon for a bit and then you have to go dig up another. o_O

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I don't have a problem with the mechanic in general (and am somewhat glad there isn't a repair mechanic present - at least it seems that way - as it would lead to much more micro-management) as I won't be marching through with 2-3 weapons like in other games (or render the lesser ones at least completely useless) and will, on the contrary, use all of 'em but not doing the shield-surf since it easily breaks my gear is contra-productive. Maybe I just haven't found the right stuff for now..couldn't play that much.

Also, it's a mechanic that could be easily fixed with a patch imho ;)

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I don't have a problem with the mechanic in general (and am somewhat glad there isn't a repair mechanic present - at least it seems that way - as it would lead to much more micro-management) as I won't be marching through with 2-3 weapons like in other games (or render the lesser ones at least completely useless) and will, on the contrary, use all of 'em but not doing the shield-surf since it easily breaks my gear is contra-productive. Maybe I just haven't found the right stuff for now..couldn't play that much.

Also, it's a mechanic that could be easily fixed with a patch imho ;)

I find it is a mechanic that forces me to use wayyy more weapons than I ordinarily would, and try to understand the advantages & disadvantages of each. Ordinarily, say in Skyrim, I usually settle on one-handed swords, usually after half-heartedly trying the maces and axes and two-handed weapons. I just like having a shield...

In BotW, nope, you gotta just get used to using what you have on hand. Although I try to hang on to a spear (for big opponents) as well has some of the heavier two-handed weapons, just in case.

Overall, I think it is a smart & savvy gameplay mechanic. Do I love it? no, but it forces me to be a better gamer.

Reactions: Fernandez21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.