Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
I find it is a mechanic that forces me to use wayyy more weapons than I ordinarily would, and try to understand the advantages & disadvantages of each. Ordinarily, say in Skyrim, I usually settle on one-handed swords, usually after half-heartedly trying the maces and axes and two-handed weapons. I just like having a shield...

In BotW, nope, you gotta just get used to using what you have on hand. Although I try to hang on to a spear (for big opponents) as well has some of the heavier two-handed weapons, just in case.

Overall, I think it is a smart & savvy gameplay mechanic. Do I love it? no, but it forces me to be a better gamer.

I'm alright with it to a point, say for the average weapon like a Traveller's Sword, or something crudely made like any of the Bokoblin weapons, but it's absurd for Champion weapons to not have legendary durability, to the point of being functionally unbreakable. Take the Scimitar of the Seven; it's a Champion version of the Moonlight Scimitar. The latter has a base durability of 32 and can be found quite easily. The Scimitar of the Seven, totally unique and only awarded after defeating Vah Naboris? Barely double that at 60. Inexcusable.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I just started last night and have had a hard time locating all the shrines to pin. Did anyone just go walking around and finding them to get the paraglider or did you truly stand on that tower with the old man and find them that way.

I feel like I am totally missing something obvious here.
Didn't help that I fell off the tower a couple times due to the left joy con issue and died pissing me off lol

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I just started last night and have had a hard time locating all the shrines to pin. Did anyone just go walking around and finding them to get the paraglider or did you truly stand on that tower with the old man and find them that way.

Didn't help that I fell off the tower a couple times due to the left joy con issue and died pissing me off lol

I couldn't find them all, either. It was annoying having the old man chide me for not being able to find them.

I basically said "F-it", I'm exploring, and then went around the crumbling walls of the plateau, looking inward to find them.

Minor hint, if you want it:
from the tower, work clockwise around

If not, just realize, if something is too hard, just leave and come back to it later.

Reactions: MRU

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes

I missed one the first time on the tower. But went back up after getting a shrine done and found it. Use the markers on your map. It helps a lot.

After I finished the starting area anytime I see one I drop what I'm doing and go do it so I don't miss it later. Also
You'll eventually get an update to your pad that alerts you when getting near shrines. It's already helped me with two I had no idea I was around

Reactions: MRU

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I couldn't find them all, either. It was annoying having the old man chide me for not being able to find them.

I basically said "F-it", I'm exploring, and then went around the crumbling walls of the plateau, looking inward to find them.

Minor hint, if you want it:
from the tower, work clockwise around

If not, just realize, if something is too hard, just leave and come back to it later.

Going to give this a try tonight, thanks!

I feel as if the game is so open you have the ability to kind of come back to things as you said but I also didn't want to miss any big important steps.
[doublepost=1489096858][/doublepost]
I missed one the first time on the tower. But went back up after getting a shrine done and found it. Use the markers on your map. It helps a lot.

After I finished the starting area anytime I see one I drop what I'm doing and go do it so I don't miss it later. Also
You'll eventually get an update to your pad that alerts you when getting near shrines. It's already helped me with two I had no idea I was around

I accidentally dropped pins on non-shrines but I couldnt figure for the life of me how to remove the pin so i had it again and then I ran out of pins.

There seems like there is about 37 functions for the buttons and I cant keep track of what does what.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
After I finished the starting area anytime I see one I drop what I'm doing and go do it so I don't miss it later.

LOL, the problem with that is I just keep wandering around, distracted from the actually story task. Although, at this point now I really want more hearts (still only have 3...a measly number).

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
LOL, the problem with that is I just keep wandering around, distracted from the actually story task. Although, at this point now I really want more hearts (still only have 3...a measly number).

Oh it's a definite problem for me :) I'm currently sitting on 4 hearts. I've probably spent a good 90 minutes just riding around on horses at this point looking for shrines and getting to areas where I couldn't get to them. But hey, I've got all my horses stabled now lol

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I feel like I am just aimlessly wandering around and freezing to death every 5 minutes.
I either really suck at this game or I am missing some things along the way here.

I cant find the shrines still to get this damn paraglider lol

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I feel like I am just aimlessly wandering around and freezing to death every 5 minutes.
I either really suck at this game or I am missing some things along the way here.

Re: freezing shrine, I did that last. THAT was hard! The other 3 were easier (*much* easier).
I started the freezing area (getting to the shrine) with about 15 min of spicy food (cooked with pepper), and barely got back to the warm area alive.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Re: freezing shrine, I did that last. THAT was hard! The other 3 were easier (*much* easier).
I started the freezing area (getting to the shrine) with about 15 min of spicy food (cooked with pepper), and barely got back to the warm area alive.

Are you talking about the one in a cave below a mountain surround by freezing water?

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012

Passing the cold area was the only thing that took some time to figure out on the plateau for me. I guess you found the old man's house already? Check that out and start cooking something / anything and talk to the old man - then you're problems can be solved once and for all ;)

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012

That is my concern with open world type games.

My son is progressing quite nicely, and he's not that into video games, somewhat disappointingly.

You can do it!

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
My son is progressing quite nicely, and he's not that into video games, somewhat disappointingly.

You can do it!

LOL, way to make Cnasty feel good! "The game isn't that hard, my ?8? year old kid (who isn't into video games) can even do it" :)
[doublepost=1489154335][/doublepost]
Are you talking about the one in a cave below a mountain surround by freezing water?

I don't want to say too much and give anything away, I was calling it the "freezing" shrine because you had to (somehow) combat the cold weather to get to the shrine area, even before you went into the shrine.

Reactions: twietee

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Passing the cold area was the only thing that took some time to figure out on the plateau for me. I guess you found the old man's house already? Check that out and start cooking something / anything and talk to the old man - then you're problems can be solved once and for all ;)

How do I make a fire?!?! I have a ton of torches and logs but nothing to start it.

Get creative Link!!

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
How do I make a fire?!?! I have a ton of torches and logs but nothing to start it.

Get creative Link!!

Get creative cnasyt!

You don't need to, there's a fire already burning at the old man's house..

But you can do one by dropping wood and a flint (stone) and hit that with a metallic weapon. Old school style. (At least that's what I got from the game, never had to do it til now -> too stingy about my flintstones).

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Watched my son reach and complete the first dungeon (Zora domain) after a bunch of shrines and general putzing around and collecting stuff over the past week. He was able to figure out every move before I did lol, and actually collected every chest. The dungeon was quite short though, but very clever puzzles as in all Zelda titles.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I have never been so invested in a game before this. I absolutely love the bones of it. Our setup is I'm on the Switch with the big TV, and my partner is on the Wii U's gamepad with headphones, she's ahead of me but wants to relive key moments when I finally reach them. Nintendos philosophy in action!

My only two gripes are the lack of key music moments. The dynamic music is incredible but I'd also like to see old classic tunes too. And that weapons are (currently) too breakable. I don't mind hunting for new ones but it's a pain in battle - though it does keeps players on their toes, I guess.

I thought that big moments in gaming weren't possible now. But PSVR and the Switch/Zelda have done it, the first big impression since Ocarina of Time. And both in the same year too!

How on earth will they follow this up? I'm hoping for a similar but slightly smaller mapped, new-Tokyo Zelda. We need to be similarly impressed after this. There needs to be another big shout and I personally can't see how it can be done outside of a radical era shift. But eh! They'll do it.

Reactions: blesscheese

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I have never been so invested in a game before this. I absolutely love the bones of it. Our setup is I'm on the Switch with the big TV, and my partner is on the Wii U's gamepad with headphones, she's ahead of me but wants to relive key moments when I finally reach them. Nintendos philosophy in action!
You know what, I might just do that, pick up BOTW for my Wii U as well. I can play side by side with my son and sort of compete. I actually find it more comfortable holding the Wii U gamepad than the Switch.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I have never been so invested in a game before this.
<snip>
My only two gripes are the lack of key music moments. The dynamic music is incredible but I'd also like to see old classic tunes too. And that weapons are (currently) too breakable. I don't mind hunting for new ones but it's a pain in battle - though it does keeps players on their toes, I guess.
<snip>
How on earth will they follow this up?

I agree, I'm not sure yet if this game will be my personal "best Zelda ever" or "best video/computer game ever" but it is going to rank up there with them.

The lack of music...why, Nintendo, why? Although it is there, just at key spots/moments. I find myself hanging out by the stables just to hear Epona's theme, or by that Kass character just to hear friggin' accordion music!

As to how they follow this up, likely in typical fashion...throw everything out the window that worked before and start over again from scratch. I'm serious, these guys don't seem to really recycle old ideas, even if they were great. I admire the attitude, but this must make it harder on them.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Going to be hard to follow this as this game is absolutely amazing. The attention to details from the weather,the animals, the environments is fantastic.

Reactions: blesscheese

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I finally have the hang glider and ability to leave the plateau. Before doing so any opinions on must do or must get items before moving on?

I've heard the warming doublet? Maybe a certain bow?

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Completed the second "dungeon". It's apparent now that dungeons in BOTW are drastically different than Zelda titles before, and is the most disappointing aspect of the game, that and the "dungeon bosses" that are far too easy. It's more challenging fighting the guardians and others. The shrines don't even count at all. I guess Nintendo spent the time and resources on the giant open world.

It is an epic adventure for sure, but Link to the past remains my favorite. I do reserve the right to change my mind later ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.