Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Everyone keeps saying the MacBook Pro without touch replaced the air. I highly doubt Apple created a product labeled Pro that is a hybrid between Pro and Air.

There are plenty of people I know who have 13" Airs who don't need all the extra horsepower of the pro.

I think it only makes sense that Apple is making a large version of the 12" MacBook, most likely 14" as it seems to fit in the gap of sizes we have 12, 13, 14, 15.

A 14" version of the MacBook would certainly be lighter and cheaper than the current MacBook Pro, and offer less horsepower for those who just use it for netflix and browsing.

This would make for a hell of a device.

Reactions: disterheft

Rapp

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
The new 13" no touch bar uses the same class of CPU as the Air, the 14w series i5/i7. The TB version uses the 28w versions like the old pros did.

To me the Macbook is the direct replacement as its ultra light and the 12" display sits right between the old air models. Not to mention the same style of case. Thats just my idea anyway.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
The new 13" no touch bar uses the same class of CPU as the Air, the 14w series i5/i7. The TB version uses the 28w versions like the old pros did.

To me the Macbook is the direct replacement as its ultra light and the 12" display sits right between the old air models. Not to mention the same style of case. Thats just my idea anyway.
It's heavier and has more mass. Just using a cheaper CPU doesn't make it a good air replacement

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
It's heavier and has more mass. Just using a cheaper CPU doesn't make it a good air replacement
But thats exactly what Schiller said on stage while he introduced the MBP. I would also love to see a 14" MB. But i highly doubt it now.

You guys think the m3,5,7 would be enough to run a retina resolution 14" lag free? Probably 2720x1700 pixels would be about 50% more pixels to push than on the 12".

Last edited:

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
You guys think the m3,5,7 would be enough to run a retina resolution 14" lag free. Probably 2720x1700 pixels would be about 50% more pixels to push than on the 12" ?

It's only two inches bigger. Although there definitely would be way more pixels to push, which may explain why it isn't out yet.

The MacBook Pro isn't a good 'on the go' laptop like the MacBook is.
[doublepost=1480715522][/doublepost]
It simply won't happen. They eliminated the Air 11" from the line up.
Because the 12" MacBook replaces the 11" Air.

Just like they will cancel the 13" Air once a suitable replacement arrives.

Although if they do cancel it prior then my hopes and dreams of a 14" MacBook will be crushed, until then I have hope.

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014
That'd be cool, especially if they would make it a little more powerful with a step up in graphics performance as well as 16GB of RAM. This plus another USB C port would make me tempted to switch from my Macbook Pro 2014, as I simply don't need all that CPU performance. I'd take a fan less paper thin design before horsepower as my main work is done through Safari, Pages, Keynote and on my spare time i'm just using youtube, netflix, etc.

I believe that it would have a killer battery life as well.

Reactions: Aquamite

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I don't think they will introduce another size. The macbooks will be: 12 inch for regular folks, 13 pro without touchbar/stripped down specs for those who want something slightly bigger/more powerful, and 15 inch for pros.

The main reason is because Apple correlates screen size to power: the bigger the notebook the better the specs.

So they won't release a 14 inch MacBook with lower specs than a 13 inch pro, as that would be confusing, and having a 14 inch notebook thats better than a 13 pro would be redundant given the 15 inch ones already exist.

Reactions: UltraInstinct

Treyhunna

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2017
I don't think they will introduce another size. The macbooks will be: 12 inch for regular folks, 13 pro without touchbar/stripped down specs for those who want something slightly bigger/more powerful, and 15 inch for pros.

The main reason is because Apple correlates screen size to power: the bigger the notebook the better the specs.

So they won't release a 14 inch MacBook with lower specs than a 13 inch pro, as that would be confusing, and having a 14 inch notebook thats better than a 13 pro would be redundant given the 15 inch ones already exist.
Agreed

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.

Why would a 14 MacBook with lower specs than a PRO laptop be confusing?

It would be faster than the 12" by decent margin - as is the relationship with the 11" Air and 13" Air.

And obviously slower than the 13" Pro since it's a thinner and lighter laptop.

People want screen real estate, that's the whole point of the 11" and 13" Airs.

Why is a 12" and 14" MacBook so out of the realm of perception for some people?

I would love a MacBook, but 12 is too small. Just like the 11" Air was too small for me.

Yes the 13" Pro is similar in weight and mass, but it's still slightly heavier, and more mass than an air, plus it's labeled PRO. I picked one up in the store, yes it's lighter than the 2015 Pro, but it's still has a heft to it.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
It would be confusing because Apple always makes bigger devices with better specs. True of iPhones, Macs, even the watch under the hood (longer battery).

13 air and pro coexist cause it's equal size so the pro moniker is the indicator of quality.

But Apple won't make a larger unit of a product that performs worse than a smaller one. Bigger is always better in their lineup.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
But Apple won't make a larger unit of a product that performs worse than a smaller one. Bigger is always better in their lineup.

If they make a 14" MacBook, it would perform better than the 12".

Just like the 13" air performed better the the 11" air.

And the 15" pro better than the 13" pro.

Saying they won't make a 14" Macbook because of a rule to "not make a product worse than a smaller one" - is silly.

Since we're crossing product categories, why does the iPad mini perform worse than the iPhone?

Last edited:

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Right, I know what you're saying, but thats not how Apple works. That is why there was never a regular size MacBook that is larger than any pro at any point in the modern (intel) past or perhaps ever (I'm too lazy to double check).

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
As great as a 14 inch retina MacBook would be, I don't think it will happen either. I think Apple will simplify the MacBook lineup to 3 machines in 3 sizes. The 13" Air will hang around a little longer like the classic MacBook did, but will be dropped sooner than later. I also believe that they will bring their pricing down to a level that matched their previous structure.

12" retina MacBook-Starting at $999
13" MacBook Pro-Starting at $1299
15" MacBook Pro-Starting at $1899

I would think Apple would almost have to have a MacBook under $1,000 after they kill off the Air. However, with their push of the iPad Pro as a computer replacement, they could very well leave the pricing as it currently stands and have the cheapest MacBook starting at $1299. It wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:

Aomin3

macrumors member
May 30, 2016
Asus zenbook 3 deluxe, announced at CES 2017 is what the 14" MacBook should be. Look it up on YouTube.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I agree, a 14 inch MacBook would be great. I'd probably buy it. Apple just won't make it for reasons I mentioned. I'd love to be wrong on this one.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
But that's exactly how it works with Apple - like it or not.

So why is the iPad Mini always have inferior specs to the current flagship iPhone?

"Well that's because it's a different product category!!! iPads and iPhones!!! "

Well...so is the MacBook Pro and MacBook, two different product categories. A 14 MacBook wouldn't be more powerful than a 13" PRO laptop.

"But apple isn't making two MacBooks!!"

Says who?

"They combined it to make the 12!"

Then why was the 11" Air discontinued and not the 13"?

"Because the non touchbar 13" Pro is a MacBook Pro / MacBook Air HYBRID, Phil said so!"

No, it's still labeled 'MacBook Pro', don't twist an offhand comment made during the reveal as an official statement, it's certainly not marketed that way.

There is a void left for people that want ultraportability and a bigger screen size. Other manufactures are already filling it.

For me, the MacBook is the perfect computer, it just lacks screen real estate. Apple is pretty good at making the same product bigger. (See iPhones, IMacs, iPads)

It's weird we have a little MacBook with no bigger brother like the other products have.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Well...so is the MacBook Pro and MacBook, two different product categories. A 14 MacBook wouldn't be more powerful than a 13" PRO laptop.

Well not exactly... iPad mini and iPhones are not substitutes for each other. On the other hand, MBP and regular MB are. There is literally no function that one can perform that the other can't, except one can do it better.

Within phones though you see the same spec mentality. The Plus version always had better specs than the regular, even if it was unadvertised. Even now the Plus has the better camera.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
What Id love to see from Apple all around really:

A consumer and pro type structure.

12" MacBook
14" Macbook

13" MacBook Pro
15" MacBook Pro

21.5" iMac
27" iMac

21.5" iMac Pro
27" iMac Pro

Again, a consumer and pro type structure. the 10.5" iPad will be the rumoured update in 2017.

10.5" iPad
12.9" iPad

10.5" iPad Pro
12.9" iPad Pro

Two of each product line would be fantastic and very simple. You can do build to order models too.

Reactions: A MacBook lover

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
The Macbook 12 is an "iPad Extreme" with a desktop OS.

I love mine, specifically for it's utility and transportability.

Anything larger would just be a desktop machine for me, in which case I would do the Mini/iMac/Pro.

I suppose it might be rather slick to do a souped up laptop to a USB-C monitor :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.