Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The lineup is crying out for some sort of portable over 13.3" besides the 15" MacBook pro. A 14" MacBook would be welcome but probably won't happen because Apple focus on reusing and sharing parts like displays for economy of scale.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I don't think they will introduce another size. The macbooks will be: 12 inch for regular folks, 13 pro without touchbar/stripped down specs for those who want something slightly bigger/more powerful, and 15 inch for pros.

The main reason is because Apple correlates screen size to power: the bigger the notebook the better the specs.

So they won't release a 14 inch MacBook with lower specs than a 13 inch pro, as that would be confusing, and having a 14 inch notebook thats better than a 13 pro would be redundant given the 15 inch ones already exist.

What’s confusing is having a significantly lower spec’d MacBook Pro with a different class of CPU in the same size and body of the regular 13” Pro with the same branding.

The 14” has been an option in the cheaper and lower-performance MacBook range before. There’s no reason why it can’t or shouldn’t be again, other than Apple being lazy and money-hungry.

It’s clear the MacBook is the new Air and performs as well as most previous Air users probably need. The whole point of the Air moniker was alluding to its lighter-than-air appearance and form factor and predominantly wireless and cable-free operation ... i.e the new MacBook! It’s the MacBook that was traditionally a slight step up from the Air. It even took the MacBook Pro’s old body for a while. Both the new MacBook and the Air both share a similar tapered design as well.

Apple is being deliberately confusing and disengenous in its product matrix for no reason other than greed and profit. That Phil claimed the low-end 13” MacBook Pro is the new Air is classic doublespeak. It can’t be simultaneously the best Pro laptop and best lightest possible laptop at the same time. I’m seriously getting sick of that guy!

Last edited:

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
And Nuts, Springs, Insider comes and goes......
Nonsense, Tim has assured me the 14” is in the works. Spoke to Tim today at lunch. I know Tim Cook, that’s why I call him tim. Do you know tim? What was he wearing today?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Nonsense, Tim has assured me the 14” is in the works. Spoke to Tim today at lunch. I know Tim Cook, that’s why I call him tim. Do you know tim? What was he wearing today?
Pink undies with a brown stripe

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Apple doesn’t have any affordable larger screen laptop in the lineup. I would like a larger screen for writing as I often have 2 pages up. On my 13” everything is a bit too small. I would like 15” MacBook. The Pro starts at 2799 Euro whereas Windows machines can be purchased for $299 with 15” screens. Sure not the same quality and I won’t get one but I would really like an affordable MacBook 15” at 1500 Euro.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Apple doesn’t have any affordable larger screen laptop in the lineup. I would like a larger screen for writing as I often have 2 pages up. On my 13” everything is a bit too small. I would like 15” MacBook. The Pro starts at 2799 Euro whereas Windows machines can be purchased for $299 with 15” screens. Sure not the same quality and I won’t get one but I would really like an affordable MacBook 15” at 1500 Euro.
I'm in the exact same situation, the 15" pro is insanely bad value when you don't need a dGPU or H series CPU or blazing fast SSD or ultra colour accurate display - but it's the only option at that size. To really rub salt in the wound, the £2,349 model has the paltry 256GB storage, and the stock model with 512 is £2,699 bundled with more GPU and CPU power. While you can get the base model with 512GB it's a build to order, and you're only saving about £150 over the more convenient higher stock model. If they could just take the internals of the 13" and stick it in the 15" chassis for £100 more that'd be doable. Even then it'd start at £1,849 and the 512GB model would probably top £2k, but that would still be a lot better than what they've currently got on offer.

Reactions: unagimiyagi

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
I'm in the exact same situation, the 15" pro is insanely bad value when you don't need a dGPU or H series CPU or blazing fast SSD or ultra colour accurate display - but it's the only option at that size. To really rub salt in the wound, the £2,349 model has the paltry 256GB storage, and the stock model with 512 is £2,699 bundled with more GPU and CPU power. While you can get the base model with 512GB it's a build to order, and you're only saving about £150 over the more convenient higher stock model. If they could just take the internals of the 13" and stick it in the 15" chassis for £100 more that'd be doable. Even then it'd start at £1,849 and the 512GB model would probably top £2k, but that would still be a lot better than what they've currently got on offer.

You can get a refurbished - 2016/2017 model under £2K

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
a 14" MacBook would be great, but Apple won't ever make it. I think they could cram a 14" screen into the old air's dimensions.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Everyone keeps saying the MacBook Pro without touch replaced the air. I highly doubt Apple created a product labeled Pro that is a hybrid between Pro and Air.

There are plenty of people I know who have 13" Airs who don't need all the extra horsepower of the pro.

I think it only makes sense that Apple is making a large version of the 12" MacBook, most likely 14" as it seems to fit in the gap of sizes we have 12, 13, 14, 15.

A 14" version of the MacBook would certainly be lighter and cheaper than the current MacBook Pro, and offer less horsepower for those who just use it for netflix and browsing.

This would make for a hell of a device.
Y’all owe me a soda. Everyone here nagged on me saying a large screen air was so out-of-touch!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.