Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
DId anyone else have a problem with the injury situation at the end of the Washington-Texas game? A very bad rule needs to be changed.

Washington had an injured player and the clock stopped and did not resume until the next snap. By rights, the clock should have started right after the injured player left. Instead, Texas, behind, got a free 40 seconds. It seems like a bad rule. Obviously, Washington wasn't faking it, because they wanted the clock to run.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Under 2 minutes or even 5 minutes, stop the clock. Let both teams have water, but they must remain on the field away from their sidelines.

As soon as the injured player is tended to and removed, the clock resumes.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
DId anyone else have a problem with the injury situation at the end of the Washington-Texas game? A very bad rule needs to be changed.

Washington had an injured player and the clock stopped and did not resume until the next snap. By rights, the clock should have started right after the injured player left. Instead, Texas, behind, got a free 40 seconds. It seems like a bad rule. Obviously, Washington wasn't faking it, because they wanted the clock to run.
No, not a problem for me. If there was a rule to restart the clock as soon as the injured player is off the field (including the restricted area or end zone) then teams would just get a play ready and line up as soon as the injured player begins to move from where he fell. That could catch the defense off guard however. So it's really only the difference of one or two seconds, and is actually fair for both teams. And, it seems more respectful to the player who was hurt, especially if he is taken off on a cart.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I'll be down in Argentina, so my goal is to find a bar with the game on. :)

I don't have a strong opinion of either school, so I'm just hoping for a good game - maybe a win for Washington because they're the underdog.

Reactions: pachyderm

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
No, not a problem for me. If there was a rule to restart the clock as soon as the injured player is off the field (including the restricted area or end zone) then teams would just get a play ready and line up as soon as the injured player begins to move from where he fell. That could catch the defense off guard however. So it's really only the difference of one or two seconds, and is actually fair for both teams. And, it seems more respectful to the player who was hurt, especially if he is taken off on a cart.

But Washington had the lead and the ball. They would not have "lined up as soon as the injured player begins to move from where he fell." Wash could have killed off another 40 seconds before punting, leaving Texas with only 20 seconds instead of a minute. It's absolutely unfair to Washington. Injuries are part of the game and there was no reason for Washington to "fake it" (like a defense might do to stop the clock) Texas got a free 40 seconds and there would have been hell to pay if they lost at the end there. The rule. as it is, makes no sense.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
But Washington had the lead and the ball. They would not have "lined up as soon as the injured player begins to move from where he fell." Wash could have killed off another 40 seconds before punting, leaving Texas with only 20 seconds instead of a minute. It's absolutely unfair to Washington. Injuries are part of the game and there was no reason for Washington to "fake it" (like a defense might do to stop the clock) Texas got a free 40 seconds and there would have been hell to pay if they lost at the end there. The rule. as it is, makes no sense.
I see.
Do you know if the rule is different if it's a defensive player that's injured?

I suppose there are too many scenarios to have the rule customized. But in this situation, I get your point.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I see.
Do you know if the rule is different if it's a defensive player that's injured?

I suppose there are too many scenarios to have the rule customized. But in this situation, I get your point.

Not sure. In the NFL, it's a 10 second runoff or a timeout.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Sigh..it's that time of year again where I have to remove Longhorn Football from my Favorites in the ESPN portal. It always displays the score of the last game played until the next game is played to take its place - the display never times out. So unless I remove the Horns from my favorites, I've gotta stare at the final score of our Washington loss every time I head over to ESPN until next Fall - un-****ing-acceptable! :p :p

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Wasn't sure I'd find a place to watch down here, but yaaaaaaaaas!

Attachments

• IMG_1530.jpeg
    IMG_1530.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 29

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
Congrats to Michigan! Pretty dominating performance. I hope Harbaugh sticks around.
One member at the RAIDER forum I frequent says it is a done deal and he'll be in silver and black... I love Harbaugh but I hope not. I want coach Pierce to get a shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herdfan and dmr727

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
One member at the RAIDER forum I frequent says it is a done deal and he'll be in silver and black... I hope not. I want coach Pierce to get a shot.

Wait seriously!?!?! UGH... Man, I hope not. I really want him to stick around at Michigan for a little longer. We have finally been able to beat that time from Ohio and win it all!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.