Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix's ad-supported streaming tier has 40 million global monthly active users, up 35 million from a year ago, Netflix said today at its Upfront advertising presentation. Netflix has 270 million total subscribers worldwide, so the majority of its users are still on the ad-free tiers.

Netflix-Smaller-4.jpg

Netflix resisted implementing an ad-supported tier for many years, but confirmed in 2022 that it had plans to implement a cheaper option in order to boost revenue. The Standard with ads plan launched in late 2022, and it has grown more popular as Netflix has increased the pricing of its ad-free tiers.

In the United States, the Standard with ads plan is priced at $6.99 per month for HD streaming on up to two devices at one time, with all but a "few movies and TV shows available." The basic ad-free plan is $15.49 per month, while the premium plan is $22.99 per month. Netflix's ad-supported plan does not include the option to download content for offline viewing, nor does it support spatial audio.

According to Netflix, more than 40 percent of all signups in the countries where the ad-supported plan is available are for the ads plan. More than 70 percent of Netflix's ad-supported members watch Netflix content for more than 10 hours per month, and Netflix says subscribers are twice as likely to respond to an ad compared to subscribers of other streaming services.

Since Netflix launched its ad-supported tier, it has partnered with Microsoft for ads, but in 2025, it will launch an in-house ad platform.

In addition to boosting revenue through a cheaper ad-supported option, Netflix has also cracked down on password sharing. After putting an end to multi-household account use, Netflix saw strong subscriber growth and an increase in revenue.

Article Link: 40 Million People Subscribe to Netflix's Ad-Supported Tier

Reactions: JapanApple

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Having read the release, this was just a call to gain more advertisers. There was absolutely no mention of how many of these ad supported tier subscribers were once full paying subscribers.

How many full paying subscribers has Netflix lost?

Last edited:

frownface

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2020
This is classic en-shittification.

Ramp up standard tier pricing to breaking point & then introduce an ad supported tier at the old standard tier pricing points to move price sensitive customers and begin luring in advertising revenue.

They'll keep the ad tier at the low price for some years until a significant portion of subscribers move over and reach a critical mass for most/all advertisers to sign on and locked in.

Once that happens they'll start ramping up the pricing for the ad supported plans. You'll see a $15 ad supported plan within 5 years. I'm sure of it.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am on the ad-supported plan, courtesy of T-Mobile.

I maybe an exception, but my household is watching far less Netflix as a result of ads. When given a choice of ad-free Apple TV+, Disney+, Hulu.... vs ad-supported Amazon Prime and Netlfix, we just gravitate toward ad-free to explore their programming first.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Hasn’t hit Canada yet … I barely use Netflix and rely on Disney more.

Now one subscription I might pay is ad free YouTube - they’re endless and my oldest kid makes YouTube his main viewing (with me monitoring what he’s watching).

• Love
Reactions: Jovijoker

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Its not FREE. It's simply price included in your monthly fee. A great marketing technique. TMobile aren't paying, you are. TMobile also receive a handsome commission every month that you stay connected.
For the amount of data I use, and my family needs that’s the best and cheapest plan. I don’t care about perks, but it’s a nice bonus including free MLB/Hulu,AAA membership Apple TV included. Between my hotspot and roaming, everything is a bonus.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I canceled all streaming services except YouTube premium this year. I have an antenna on my roof that picks up 70 stations and then I use the free streaming apps like Pluto tv. Also have Prime video with my Amazon prime subscription. If I want to watch a specific movie I will rent it.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I pay 22 dollars for their best plan and with Youtube its all I watch.
very happy btw :) might be in minority here.
Was very happy with Queen of Tears recently on Netflix.
Also stopped subscribing to AppleTV+ and Prime.

Last edited:

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
ok revolutionary new idea, bear with me:

pay for ad supported programming most of which you don’t watch (bonus points if it’s bundled with your internet)

🤯

Reactions: Jovijoker

N0credit

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2024
Never post, but sorry, headlines like this are infuriating. It’s 40MM monthly active users (MAUs) not subscribers. They were late to the advertising game (love it or hate it) and now they’re trying to make a name for themselves. Wall street can’t get enough, but they make very little from advertising. It’s the media that helps portray them as the only streamer in town. Netflix will stop reporting sub count next quarter because they realized they’ve milked people for all they can. They will continue to show stupid metrics to hype wall street. The industry stopped reporting MAUs because it was a bogus number. Don’t feed into Netflix and their BS. Don’t give wall street more reason to cheer when they don’t even know what is being touted.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
No surprise with all the carrier deals. Verizon lets you get HBO and Netflix for $10 a month, which is a good deal.
ATT fiber gives you free access to HBO/Max. I don’t subscribe to any streaming. For live Sports an Antenna works great, and I get all local Fox, CBS, NBC and ABC channels.

frost_horizon

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2023
Been a subscriber for years, but stopped using it more than a year ago. Since then never had a feeling that I’m missing something.

Reactions: h00ligan

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
One step closer to what I said would happen ten years ago. Everyone gets tired of cable prices, cuts the cord, Netflix gets splintered apart into many other streaming platforms, prices all rise too high and then suddenly, we're all just doing the cable thing with ads, only over the internet and way more inconvenient. haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.