Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
We all paid to watch ads on cable/sat for decades. some still pay it.

Mark my words give it 5 years there will probably not be an ad-free subscription service, or it will be prohibitively expensive.

They are starting slow, getting people used to it.
Ok we will see. How prohibitively expensive they can eventually be? $9k per month?

whatgift

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2017
Australia
It's always amusing to see all the posts about people who've ditched Netflix, yet their subscriber base is not decreasing by a significant amount - it's still by far the best of the streaming services, both in entertainment value and variety of content. Other services may claim more "quality", but for a decent number of people (including me) that just means boring.

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
And now I see more and more streaming services that you pay to subscribe to *also* adding adverts... they'll keep pushing to see how much lazy viewers will accept before the profits inverts... knowing finance pinheads they'll wait until some other innovation in the business model takes place and Blockbuster themselves...

Frankly between this, crappy apps (try mutliview on ESPN+... they should pay me to put up with that) and I'm looking to cancel the lot as it's become as much a hassle as finding the pirate sources.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
And now I see more and more streaming services that you pay to subscribe to *also* adding adverts... they'll keep pushing to see how much lazy viewers will accept before the profits inverts...

What makes someone a "lazy viewer" for paying $6.99/month for a standard plan with ads versus someone paying $15.49/month for standard plan without ads?

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Well. At least one person cancelled after their ridiculous constant price hikes and 4k / atmosphere gate keeping.

I have missed absolutely nothing, neither has my wife.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Recently Amazon Prime has added ads to their video programming and they cannot be skipped through. After years of ad-free streaming on other services, seeing these Prime ads is a bit jarring. Without thinking about it, we’ve watched fewer and fewer Prime videos. Apparently we REALLY don’t like ads, both consciously and sub. We also got a TiVo when they first came out. We still have three of them, no longer in use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.