Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
Hi guys,

I own 4S since the 3 months after it was launched. I just having a gut feeling that 4S is going to support iOS 9. There are few reasons:

1) With iOS 8.3 beta 4, the performance on 4S has become same as it was with 7.1. Stability, performance, very less choppy animations. With 1 or 2 more betas or in 1-2 months when 8 becomes fully stable it will have the same performance as 7. Apple has really done a good job with this.

And considering the way Apple kills the device with last iOS support, i think either Apple has changed their way of thinking and giving nice & full support to older iPhone or they just wanna release one more iOS version to do that. :p:p

2) With so many devices having the same hardware as 4S. It doesn't look right Apple will end support for all these devices all together. And in the past S models have got 1 more iOS than older models.

That's are my thought. Rest we'll see at WWDC15 which is just 72 days away. What do you all think?:apple:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Hi guys,

I own 4S since the 3 months after it was launched. I just having a gut feeling that 4S is going to support iOS 9. There are few reasons:

1) With iOS 8.3 beta 4, the performance on 4S has become same as it was with 7.1. Stability, performance, very less choppy animations. With 1 or 2 more betas or in 1-2 months when 8 becomes fully stable it will have the same performance as 7. Apple has really done a good job with this.

And considering the way Apple kills the device with last iOS support, i think either Apple has changed their way of thinking and giving nice & full support to older iPhone or they just wanna release one more iOS version to do that. :p:p

2) With so many devices having the same hardware as 4S. It doesn't look right Apple will end support for all these devices all together. And in the past S models have got 1 more iOS than older models.

That's are my thought. Rest we'll see at WWDC15 which is just 72 days away. What do you all think?:apple:

People will disagree with me big time, but I believe it will be supported as as you say, the iPod Touch 5 and iPad Mini 1 should be getting iOS 9, secondly iOS 9 is meant to improve performance, thirdly they've already picked up iOS 9 running on 4S's so Apple must be testing them, and at least considering support.

Apple's support of the iPad 2 in iOS 9 has shown they're not tied to some this device gets this number of updates.

Of course the reasons against it could be simplifying things for developers, but I am completely for them supporting all A5 devices with iOS 9.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
It will. ;)

----------

Where did you read that?

It was on Macrumours a while back, where some sites had reported hits from devices running iOS 9 on iPhones, mainly on 6's and 5S's but also from 5's and 4S's.. I'll look for the article.

lets also remember that there are a heap more people on the 4S than past iPhone's as the iPhone 4S sold far better than the 4 :p

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
Hi guys,

Stop comforting yourself. The 4S is an antique. For goodness sake go buy an iPhone 6

iPhone20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
Stop comforting yourself. The 4S is an antique. For goodness sake go buy an iPhone 6

Haha. I don't feel like buying 6. It seems to me not a worth upgrade over 4S. I can still do the things i want to do on iPhone. I can play any game you guys play on 6 or 90% of those apps run on 4S too. Yes speed is slow, battery is not bad, i get 5-6hrs of usage everyday with 4S.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
+1 on the 4S, is by far the best size and the height of quality build/design of the iphone. To me the iphone 6 looks cheaply made and clownish in it's size - but thats just me.

The 4S runs the latest ios no problems so far, would be interesting if Apple drops the *obsolete ball* with ios9 on a product that was still sold in 2014. :eek:

fardeenah

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
i do hope it supports ios 9 considering ios 9 is a bug fixing release snow leopard release with a lot of optimisation

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I doubt it honestly. With currently 4 different iPhone resolutions and 4 different iPad resolutions I expect that Apple is going to want to simplify things by getting rid of non-retina iPads and the 3.5" iPhones.

iPhone20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
I doubt it honestly. With currently 4 different iPhone resolutions and 4 different iPad resolutions I expect that Apple is going to want to simplify things by getting rid of non-retina iPads and the 3.5" iPhones.

iOS 8 too has these resolutions. So i think this is not an issue for Apple now. They have done it this year and can do this with iOS 9 too. This won't be a big deal for Apple. :apple:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
If you asked me 6 months ago, I would've said "no way." But with the rumors about iOS 9 being about optimization and improvements, I have no doubt the 4s will have iOS 9 support. Remember when apple said that Snow Leopard will "revitalize old Macs"?

AleXXXa

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2015
I have the 4s and i think it will support ios 9. If not, i'll buy an used 5 (they're dirt cheap here) as i don't want a big phone and couldn't care less about fingerprint sensor or better camera or whatever the new iphones will have.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010

Let's see, my 4s still makes calls, can still text, still browse the web, still takes photos, still fits in my pocket. I guess since it doesn't have Touch ID, LTE , and the latest emoji some might consider it an antique, but it's far from obsolete.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

Apple is a big enough company to support users it is currently selling the Non-Retina iPad Mini 1 to. Also the iPad 2 is the most used iPad, followed by the iPad Mini 1 - together they make up around 45 percent of installed iPads.

----------

Yep, lets go create more waste and environmental destruction when the 4S is still a perfectly good phone. Great idea. In addition to that, not everyone has the money and not everyone wants to be carrying around an oversized phone.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I don't even have a 4S, but I hope it stays supported, for two reasons:

1) I think ya'll who want to run iOS 9 on an iPhone 4S should be happy.

2) If they have to support the 4S, it means they have to support a device with 512MB of RAM. Which means iOS 9 is less likely to be as bloated as it would be if the minimum support devices had 1GB of RAM (iPhone 5).

So there, a selfless reason and a selfish reason. I'm awesome and horrible at once! :)

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I don't even have a 4S, but I hope it stays supported, for two reasons:

1) I think ya'll who want to run iOS 9 on an iPhone 4S should be happy.

2) If they have to support the 4S, it means they have to support a device with 512MB of RAM. Which means iOS 9 is less likely to be as bloated as it would be if the minimum support devices had 1GB of RAM (iPhone 5).

So there, a selfless reason and a selfish reason. I'm awesome and horrible at once! :)

I like both your ideas. Lets face it, considering Apple couldn't be bothered putting 2GB of ram in the iPhone 6, if they raise iOS 9 to be 1 GB minimum, everything will become even slower and bloated even on the iPhone 6, as there would be nothing at all grounding iOS.

If they can get Android onto 512MB of Ram, iOS should be able to as well.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Yep, lets go create more waste and environmental destruction when the 4S is still a perfectly good phone. Great idea.

Good point. Like the recycle program they should have for all the USB, Firewire, and 30 pin cables people pitch because they're antiquated as well.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
The 4/4S is the best looking phone. 5/5S is too thin and easy scratched. The 6 looks like an Android device and why not? It was created to pull Android users.

Even if the 4S is dropped i will keep going with it. Most apps still support iOS7 so i will cope on iOS8.

If iOS9 is just optimisation it won't matter what RAM the latest phone has, it will just be blazing fast.

Fingers crossed!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
From an optimisation standpoint, I agree that Apple might want to drop support for devices running 512mb of ram and A5 processors (i.e.: iPhone 4s and ipad2).

However, if ios9 is primarily bug fixes, I can see Apple supporting these devices. Maybe they will just get the bug fixes, but none of the newer features that the later models will get?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I don't agree that 8.3 is as good as 7.1.2 but yes, there are a lot of reasons it may be supported, but we have to wait and see.

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
From an optimisation standpoint, I agree that Apple might want to drop support for devices running 512mb of ram and A5 processors (i.e.: iPhone 4s and ipad2).

However, if ios9 is primarily bug fixes, I can see Apple supporting these devices. Maybe they will just get the bug fixes, but none of the newer features that the later models will get?

For optimisation they'd be better off supporting 512MB of ram. If they can get iOS 9 running well on low end devices, it won't run terribly on newer devices like iOS 8 currently does.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Based on historical updates and hardware that got dropped, the following are the ony likely devices to get iOS9:

iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 3, iPad Pro (if it is called Pro)
iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4 (or whatever they call it)
iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 7 series
iPod touch 5th gen (and if Apple decides to make a 6th gen, add it to this list)

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Based on historical updates and hardware that got dropped, the following are the ony likely devices to get iOS9:

iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 3, iPad Pro (if it is called Pro)
iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4 (or whatever they call it)
iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 7 series
iPod touch 5th gen (and if Apple decides to make a 6th gen, add it to this list)

Apple doesn't really follow historical models anymore - also historically Apple didn't sell iOS devices with last years processor (EG the Touch 5 and Mini 1).

If the iPod Touch 5th gen gets it, then the 4S will be able to run it. Also the Mini 1 is also still for sale and in widespread use, and it is identical to the iPad 2(in performance related specs).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.