Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Apple is going to drop the 4S like it's hawt.

Seriously, the 3.5 inch phone is dead with iOS9.

Why - unless they really want to annoy people, The Touch 5 and iPad Mini will get support and the Touch 5 is the same thing as the 4S in a different case.

If iOS 9 is a bug fix release, there is no excuse for the 4S not to run it.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
If iOS 9 is an optimisation update, why would 4s/iPad 2 users DON'T want it? Do you prefer to stay in the so called sluggish iOS 8 or something?!

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I think there's two conditions to still support the iPhone 4S :

1. iOS 9 is all about bug-fixing, software optimizations and small, yet worthy new features.

2. If they do want to keep a 4-inch device in their lineup, it won't be so hard to support the 3.5-in iPhone 4S.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
What an incredibly elitist and arrogant thing to say.

How is it elitist and arrogant?

Why - unless they really want to annoy people, The Touch 5 and iPad Mini will get support and the Touch 5 is the same thing as the 4S in a different case.

If iOS 9 is a bug fix release, there is no excuse for the 4S not to run it.

They should get rid of those other two devices as well.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Why does everyone assume iOS 9 will be optimization/bug fix based off a few rumors?

Because it was a major rumour, and at this point every other year, we've already had rumours about the new features in iOS - this year we've had none besides about optimisation.

In addition to that, iOS 8 has been pretty much the most unstable version yet so people are annoyed.

----------

How is it elitist and arrogant?

They should get rid of those other two devices as well.

Because you're assuming that everyone has the money to upgrade from what is still a perfectly good device.

No they should not drop support for devices they are still selling. From your comments, I'm guessing you've got newer devices, so this doesn't affect you at all so really supporting the 4S does not have a negative impact on you. Not supporting the 4S however does have a negative impact on many.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Why does everyone assume iOS 9 will be optimization/bug fix based off a few rumors?

Because it was a major rumour, and at this point every other year, we've already had rumours about the new features in iOS - this year we've had none besides about optimisation.

In addition to that, iOS 8 has been pretty much the most unstable version yet so people are annoyed...

People said that about iOS 8, too, though. The bugs, lag, and glitches are really starting to make iOS less pleasant than it used to be.

I don't know whether or not iOS 9 will bring bug changes or just give us new ones. iOS has been pretty buggy since 7.0 and we're halfway through iOS 8's life and it's still full of bugs.

I can't even update apps on my iPhone 6 because it stalls in "waiting" indefinitely.

Here's to hoping, though!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Hopeful thinking for the most part.

Apple might just surprise us all and not only put a bunch of new features but even another redesign into iOS 9, making it rather far from an optimization/bugfix release.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Apple doesn't really follow historical models anymore - also historically Apple didn't sell iOS devices with last years processor (EG the Touch 5 and Mini 1).

If the iPod Touch 5th gen gets it, then the 4S will be able to run it. Also the Mini 1 is also still for sale and in widespread use, and it is identical to the iPad 2(in performance related specs).

While this may be true, Apple will probably still exclude the 4S. I don't even know what the deal is with iPod Touches anymore.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
While this may be true, Apple will probably still exclude the 4S. I don't even know what the deal is with iPod Touches anymore.

They've got no reason to exclude the 4S though!! If they were excluding it, why are there 4S's coming up in usage logs running builds of iOS 9? If they were going to exclude the 4S for arbitrary reasons, it would have not gone in iOS 9 testing.

----------

People said that about iOS 8, too, though. The bugs, lag, and glitches are really starting to make iOS less pleasant than it used to be.

I don't know whether or not iOS 9 will bring bug changes or just give us new ones. iOS has been pretty buggy since 7.0 and we're halfway through iOS 8's life and it's still full of bugs.

I can't even update apps on my iPhone 6 because it stalls in "waiting" indefinitely.

Here's to hoping, though!

iOS 8 wasn't a bug fix release, it was the complete opposite - It was a major feature release and API change. It was never meant to be an optimisation release.

I'd argue that 7.1.1 was very stable. My iPhone 4 (iOS 7) is more stable than my iPhone 5 (iOS 8)

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
They've got no reason to exclude the 4S though!! If they were excluding it, why are there 4S's coming up in usage logs running builds of iOS 9? If they were going to exclude the 4S for arbitrary reasons, it would have not gone in iOS 9 testing.

A lot of software companies test their builds on older hardware to get a better idea of what they should and shouldn't support.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
If you asked me 6 months ago, I would've said "no way." But with the rumors about iOS 9 being about optimization and improvements, I have no doubt the 4s will have iOS 9 support. Remember when apple said that Snow Leopard will "revitalize old Macs"?

I also remember how buggy the early releases of Snow Leopard were, and how it broke more apps than previous OS X versions. A code cleanup doesn't necessarily mean that legacy hardware comes along for the ride. Recall that Snow Leopard dumped PowerPC support, and Lion jettisoned support for 32-bit Intel processors.

----------

A lot of software companies test their builds on older hardware to get a better idea of what they should and shouldn't support.

IIRC, didn't Apple cut off support for Mountain Lion on some Mac models that ran some of the beta versions?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

Thats my point - if Apple had decided it was not going to support it for arbitrary reasons, it would not be testing iOS 9 on the 4S.

----------

I also remember how buggy the early releases of Snow Leopard were, and how it broke more apps than previous OS X versions. A code cleanup doesn't necessarily mean that legacy hardware comes along for the ride. Recall that Snow Leopard dumped PowerPC support, and Lion jettisoned support for 32-bit Intel processors.

----------

IIRC, didn't Apple cut off support for Mountain Lion on some Mac models that ran some of the beta versions?

I don't get why people think that iOS 9 is going to be exactly like Snow Leopard. When people say snow leopard release they mean a release that is focused on fixing performance and getting rid of bugs - that is it. Dropping PPC macs is a completely different story - that was a completely different architecture, where as the A5 is similar to the A6 and A7 and A9 in that they are all ARM chips. Besides the Last PPC mac was sold 3 years before the release of Snow Leopard, where as they are still selling A5 devices. The basic idea that people are trying to say is that iOS 9 is rumoured to be an update that Apple focuses on performance rather than features - which doesn't have to mean culling older devices. In fact the most beneficial thing to do would be to reduce the RAM usage of iOS 9 by forcing development for 512 MB devices, so it becomes more efficient.

Apple could not be bothered to write a driver for White MacBooks and some other Macs from early 2008 and older with Mountain Lion.... I'd put that down to the fact that they'd been off the market for 4 years and would have been in low usage. It however annoyed the hell out of me as a 2008 White Macbook user.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Thats my point - if Apple had decided it was not going to support it for arbitrary reasons, it would not be testing iOS 9 on the 4S.

Each piece of software has a benchmark. Apple may want to prove to themselves iOS 9 is efficient enough to run at 512 MB of RAM.

Do not confuse that with a level Apple feels is appropriate to release to customers. I am sure they have their own internal benchmark that defines "handling" and "ready for customer use".

----------

I have a feeling that was either a product marketing decision or beta decision. It's simply possible the Beta was the first opportunity Apple had to get mass data on some older machines.

I'm not an Apple employee, but as a Software tester by trade, I'm speculating.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Each piece of software has a benchmark. Apple may want to prove to themselves iOS 9 is efficient enough to run at 512 MB of RAM.

Do not confuse that with a level Apple feels is appropriate to release to customers. I am sure they have their own internal benchmark that defines "handling" and "ready for customer use".

----------

I have a feeling that was either a product marketing decision or beta decision. It's simply possible the Beta was the first opportunity Apple had to get mass data on some older machines.

I'm not an Apple employee, but as a Software tester by trade, I'm speculating.

If it runs well enough, I'm sure they'll release it. Logically if iOS 9 performs better than iOS 8, then it will run better than iOS 8 which Apple felt was good enough for these devices, so thus I'd assume iOS 9 (Assuming it improves performance) would meet Apple's levels of satisfaction for a release.

The iPad Mini 1 and iPod Touch 5 are going to get it almost definitely (they would have been discontinued otherwise) so that means that the other devices should also get it.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If it runs well enough, I'm sure they'll release it. Logically if iOS 9 performs better than iOS 8, then it will run better than iOS 8 which Apple felt was good enough for these devices, so thus I'd assume iOS 9 (Assuming it improves performance) would meet Apple's levels of satisfaction for a release.

The iPad Mini 1 and iPod Touch 5 are going to get it almost definitely (they would have been discontinued otherwise) so that means that the other devices should also get it.

We don't know what Apple considers acceptable, but it is certainly possible iOS9, if it is a stability update, will be supported on the 4S.

It's not a certainty, but it would be a break in Apple's pattern.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
We don't know what Apple considers acceptable, but it is certainly possible iOS9, if it is a stability update, will be supported on the 4S.

It would be a break in pattern but given the number of factors with the A5 I'd say its at least a 50 percent chance. I think their acceptability to be anything above the iPhone 4 on 7.0...

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK

iPad 2, the first EVER created A5 device broke Apple's pattern by supporting iOS 8. It's the first iOS device to go through 4 upgrades of iOS. 4s has 3.

If 4s were to get iOS 9, it will be the first iPhone to get 4 upgrades. That's the power of having a dual-core processor.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
iPad 2, the first EVER created A5 device broke Apple's pattern by supporting iOS 8. It's the first iOS device to go through 4 upgrades of iOS. 4s has 3.

If 4s were to get iOS 9, it will be the first iPhone to get 4 upgrades. That's the power of having a dual-core processor.

Apple has had no set pattern (besides a gradual increase) of how many updates iOS devices get

The 2G got two upgrades (2,3)
The 2G got two upgrades (3,4)
The 3GS got three upgrades (4,5,6)
The 4 got three upgrades (5,6,7)

Perhaps

The 4S will get four upgrades (6,7,8,9)
The 5 will get four upgrades (7,8,9,10)

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
Yo peeps i apologize if I was too direct, was not feeling too good when i made my earlier post. Totally did not mean it, bros.

sy1888

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015
Scotland
Just bought my first iphone a 4s on ios 8 for £65 unlocked and works great but im just a newbee to iphones so what do i know:)

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
I think we're slowly getting to the point where the hardware remains quite ahead of the software like with the macs (a 2014 OS on a 2007 MBP hardware?) and even PC's (1ghz, 2gb ram)

The A6/7/8 is so powerful, i wouldnt be surprised if they last for 4-5 updates past their original OS. The only risk for the A6 is architectural changes such as going 64 bit only. But i highly doubt it since there are so many apps using 32 bit code. The other bit is we're seeing more of the incremental update. The A8 isnt double the performance of the A7. Similarly, intel processors arent doubling either.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
Let's see, my 4s still makes calls, can still text, still browse the web, still takes photos, still fits in my pocket. I guess since it doesn't have Touch ID, LTE , and the latest emoji some might consider it an antique, but it's far from obsolete.

By that rationale, your original iPhone wouldn't be considered obsolete. It can theoretically call, text, web, take photos, and fit in your pocket. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.