Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olavsu1

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2022
What are you even talking about?
He doesn't add the costs to the VPN itself, with the costs to the VPN it may not be more favorable in conclusion.

//one more thing: there is power in nepotism, which manifests itself in cheaper prices and fake student statuses.

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024
He doesn't add the costs to the VPN itself, with the costs to the VPN it may not be more favorable in conclusion.

//one more thing: there is power in nepotism, which manifests itself in cheaper prices and fake student statuses.
I'm also reading online that if you do this and they find out, they will permanently ban your account and not refund you. It also hurts the countries that have these discounts.

aidler

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Never pay for a year in advance for Adobe subscriptions. The terms of these annual subscriptions are extremely customer-unfriendly. If you try to cancel your subscription, you will immediately lose access to all Adobe applications, even though you have already paid for an entire year in advance.

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024
Never pay for a year in advance for Adobe subscriptions. The terms of these annual subscriptions are extremely customer-unfriendly. If you try to cancel your subscription, you will immediately lose access to all Adobe applications, even though you have already paid for an entire year in advance.
They are quite garbage when it comes to canceling subscriptions. They're a slimy company. Unfortunately, none of the alternatives work for me at this present.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
I wasn't a fan of the old model, i.e paying £600 just for Photoshop on it's own with no major updates ever. If you wanted updates/version upgrade you had to buy the upgrade license for not much of a discount from the full RRP. At least subscriptions make the products available to all.

And lets face it, your work should be covering the costs of the tools to do your job anyway....
It seemed hideously expensive to keep up to date with the updates in the past, initial costs in the £1000s and updates of around £500 for the full suite every 12 months or so. I used to miss an update if possible, but that lack of being current did catch me out a couple of times. Extra fonts were also expensive and we bought a few over the years.

The current subscription suits me well. It is not cheap, but it is always current and budgeting is easy as a result. I think Adobe need to be careful, those of us that have been around a while remember Pagemaker being wiped out by Quark xpress and the pain of early Indesign iterations, that probably took 4-5 years to get to a good place.

Reactions: Steve121178

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Not happy with subscription. Even with the one year discount, price is very high.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Not all of us are pros. Some of us are hobbyist where our hobby doesn't bring in cash.

Adobe is now so expensive that if it is not how you make your living and can expense it, it’s not worth it.

But were non-pros spending $700 on a copy of Photoshop in the old days? Or $2,600 for the entire Master Collection?

Adobe didn't really make software for hobbyists or home users. Their products always seemed to be priced for professionals. And even more so since they went subscription.

I do make money using Adobe products... so I don't have a problem with that monthly expense.

I guess I'm the wrong person to talk to.

:p

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
You make a good point, but you also miss an important point. It is not just about money, it is about independence and freedom.

You lose access to your own creations as soon as you decide to use a competitor's software instead of the existing one.
Moreover, in all other matters, including politics, you are in the hands of the other side of this continuing obligation relationship.

Adobe has given all its Venezuelan customers 20 days to find an alternative and migrate all their creations to it.
After those 20 days, they would all have lost access to their own creations on their local storage because the software would have stopped working due to the sanctions.
In the end, a last-minute solution was found, but who knows what will happen next.
Yep, fully agree with you. There's always for & against subscriptions but the Venezuelan issue is messed up.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Not happy with subscription. Even with the one year discount, price is very high.
You clearly don't remember the price of Adobe software before the subscription model came in. The price was extortionate, bordering on a complete rip off at a time when there wasn't very many good alternatives available.

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024
You can get full Adobe CC via Türkiye VPN for roughly 45$ a year. Why do people still bother to pay 30-70 per month for that?
Because it's against their terms of service and is considered fraud and your account can be banned and it hurts the country in which you are pretending to be from. There are plenty of reports of people's accounts being banned doing this "method." People "bother" because they have a moral compass.

Reactions: WylyQuimby

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Affinity Design, Photo and Publisher are good alternatives to Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
Or there's Inkscape, GIMP, and Scribus.
Pixelmator is a good photo editor. VivaDesigner is another pro DTP app.
Da Vinci Resolve or Final Cut Pro are your video options.
Master PDF Editor is a good PDF editor.

There's very little that can match Dreamweaver though. I use Pinegrow, which is ok, but still lacks some features.

Reactions: WylyQuimby

MNLondon

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
London
I like using the Affinity group of applications. One payment, no subscription. For me they are just as good as Adobe and there's no con. I hate subscriptions too. If I can get something which gives me great help to do all the things I want to do, then there's no point spending so much money on a continuous payment over £100's or dollars a year.

JohannesO

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2022
You clearly don't remember the price of Adobe software before the subscription model came in. The price was extortionate, bordering on a complete rip off at a time when there wasn't very many good alternatives available.
I remember paying about 600 euros every two years for the Creative Suite 6 Design and Web Premium upgrades (there was also a cheaper version called Design Standard). I upgraded slowly, starting with a Photoshop licence that came with a scanner.
The annual subscription started at €600, so that would have been double the price for me, which I never paid because I want freedom and software that can't lock me out of my own intellectual property.

I'm very happy with Serif Affinity Suite and Davinci Resolve.
Only Adobe Acrobat Pro is still used here because I have been too lazy to switch to Callas PDF Toolbox Desktop.

Reactions: btrach144

NagasakiGG

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2017
Because it's against their terms of service and is considered fraud and your account can be banned and it hurts the country in which you are pretending to be from. There are plenty of reports of people's accounts being banned doing this "method." People "bother" because they have a moral compass.
They're not. I explicitly asked Adobe and they confirmed via mail that it is indeed not a problem, even on commercial basis.

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Not all of us are pros. Some of us are hobbyist where our hobby doesn't bring in cash.
This exactly. I refuse to pay for subscriptions. The only one I have is Apple for $.99. I don't even pay for TV or any streaming apps. Everyone wants money from subs these days. Enough.

NagasakiGG

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2017
No, you didn't.
I did, as I do have a self employed side business which I don’t want to spend so much per month (I would have done it anyway, but now I am completely sure).

You know, in civilized countries they cannot forbid you from taking advantages from globalization - as they also do as much as they can.

Tl;dr (translated via DeepL as their response was from the German support):

[…]
In order to take out a subscription for Turkey, you need a customer account for Turkey with a Turkish address and a supported payment method for Turkey.

Unfortunately, I cannot say exactly which payment methods are available for Turkey, as we are only responsible for Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Presumably, however, only credit cards are possible for Turkey. If you would like more detailed information, we will be happy to pass you on to the responsible English colleagues via the chat. Simply come back to the chat and we can put you through.
However, use is not restricted to the country for which you have taken out the subscription. There are always companies whose employees work in different countries or customers who travel and use your software while doing so.
[…]

Last edited:

Kirkster

Contributor
Jan 19, 2004
But were non-pros spending $700 on a copy of Photoshop in the old days? Or $2,600 for the entire Master Collection?

Adobe didn't really make software for hobbyists or home users. Their products always seemed to be priced for professionals. And even more so since they went subscription.

I do make money using Adobe products... so I don't have a problem with that monthly expense.

I guess I'm the wrong person to talk to.

:p
Yes, I did actually buy it and then buy upgrades. Now there are a bunch of alternatives and Adobe is dead to me….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.