Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Now if only the AirPods could be serviced and have batteries replaced... Still, my current AirPods are beginning to finally break down a little bit (no mic) so I would consider these when they come out. I just don't like the fact that these are essentially disposable. Plastic and metals are killing the planet.

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Canadian Pacific North Wilderness
I would LOVE if Apple could release an AirPod (or Pro) with a longer earbud stem that can insert a bit further in and fit in smaller ears. Or even a case that could allow longer eartips for the Pro.

I'm among the small (but not tiny!) portion of the world for whom AirPods cannot stay in my ear without causing a pressure-hotspot against the outside of the ear (the 'funnel' into the ear canal). 😢

The old Apple "In-Ear" wired headphones are perfect. The buds were long enough that the rest of the earpiece didn't touch the outside of the ear.

I've tried a million 3rd party foam ear tips for the Pro, but because all of these need to fit INSIDE the AirPods case, none of them can actually extend the device long enough for my ear shape.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
This are the AirPods I have been waiting for, all this time. The regular AirPods, with the compact design of the third gen, H2 chip and Bluetooth 5.3 (I decided a while back that all my new devices would have BT 5.3)

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

brandon87

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2019
Phoenix
I’m still on the original set. I feel beats earbuds sound and fit better time after time though. It’s weird they just don’t convert to just beats or just apple at this point.

zubikov

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
PA
AirPods 3 are too large for many people's ears. They don't stay in as well as AirPods 2 either.

If Apple updates the non-pro line, it should be the smaller form factor ones that are currently the regular AirPods 2. Those appear to be their best selling model also.

devonair

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
Huntington Beach
I will likely stick with the AirPods 2, which have a better fit for my ears, and I prefer their tap controls, especially in winter when the ears are covered. I hope that Apple won’t discontinue that form factor.
100% agree with you. I tried the 3rd gen when the batteries died on my Airpods 2, but hated having to squeeze the controls instead of just double-tap. I returned the 3's right away and just bought another gen 2 set. I know it's SUPER unlikely, but if they're determined to stick with the button-style controls I hope they somehow add in the tap controls as well.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
AirPods 3 were great, but the Pro 2 are just next level. With transparency mode it doesn't even feel like you are wearing sealed earbuds. And then noise cancelling is amazing when you want it. And with the new in-between mode, they'll be even better.

Not sure what AirPods 4 could do to bridge the gap to the Pro 2/3.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
The most uncomfortable earbuds I have ever used. Imagine taking the tip off the AirPods Pro and sticking that in your ear is basically what these are.
After 30 minutes—severe pain; returned them for AirPods 2 due to the more traditional design. They are so comfortable I forget they are in my ear.

Why Apple screwed with this design, or at least doesn’t offer multiple size options, is beyond me.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
I'm among the small (but not tiny!) portion of the world for whom AirPods cannot stay in my ear without causing a pressure-hotspot against the outside of the ear (the 'funnel' into the ear canal). 😢

The old Apple "In-Ear" wired headphones are perfect. The buds were long enough that the rest of the earpiece didn't touch the outside of the ear.
Same and amen. Why Apple ruined a good thing I’ll not understand. Their ear bud design was two decades old and perfected.

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Canadian Pacific North Wilderness
It’s weird they just don’t convert to just beats or just apple at this point.

Look at the variety of soda flavours there used to be. The same seven or eight from each maker.

The thinking was that more options diluted brand recognition and loyalty. That it cannibalized sales.

Turned out having 17 thousand flavours of mountain dew sold MORE mountain dew than having only one.

Same principal with AirPods and Beats.

Pirate!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2017
airpods pro was the first time i experienced noise cancelling, i thought noise cancelling was not necessary, and a gimmick, even bought the airpods 3rd gen. after trying that airpods pro, boy was I wrong.

The Airpod 3’s kept falling out of my ears. Sold them and got the Airpod Pro 2’s. Day and night difference - an almost perfect fit, much better sound quality, noise cancelation is freakinf awesome. Just wish they offered it in black.

The game changer for me was transparency mode. There’s lots of good options for noise canceling. APP2 know transparency (or other brand’s equivalent) out of the park.

Also, comply foam.

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
For context, my MacBook looks like this
IMG_5601.jpeg

Jordillav22

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2020
Tortosa, España
I've had some new AirPods Pro 2 for two months.

I use them every day for 1 hour, and the first two weeks the battery in the box lasted about two weeks.

Since then, battery optimization has been activated. When he came from playing sports and placed the AirPods in their box, they didn't charge until the next day, as is normal in this function. But the battery in the box plummeted, going from lasting 2 weeks to only 1, with the same use of 1 hour a day for the headphones. I noticed that the box was unloaded by itself when I wasn't charging the headphones.

I returned everything to factory settings and everything started to work correctly again, with 2 weeks of battery for the box, but at which the battery optimization is activated again, the consumption is very high again.

In the end, I have deactivated the battery optimization and everything is perfect.

Does the same thing happen to you? Will it be a bug?

Sorry for my English.

• Wow

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Longer Battery Life

The H2 chip is more power efficient than the H1 chip in the second- and third-generation AirPods. In the AirPods Pro, the H2 chip and Bluetooth 5.3 provide an additional hour and a half of listening time with Active Noise Cancellation enabled compared to the previous generation. Applied to the standard AirPods, this could translate to a battery life increase from five hours to around six and a half hours.
The current 3rd-Gen AirPods offer six hours battery life, not five. The previous 2nd-Gen AirPods had five hours battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.